Unusually High Pings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Unusually High Pings

You should really just relax and spend some time with tech support. There could be bad lines, or any number of things. 

Don't get me wrong, I have a list of complaints about Rogers that is ten feet long, but it all relates to policies and customer service in particular. But I find the actual products to be amazing. I've never had an issue. I'm definitely getting the speeds I was promised (depending on the other ends connection too, of course), and many others are too.

Don't always assume there's some grand conspiracy, or "theft" going on.... 

Again, I'm no Rogers fanboy, I've ragged on Rogers a LOT in the past, but I've never actually had a problem with the service itself. And yes, I do game online, on PC and Xbox. I know it's frustrating if you're having a bad experience... but that doesn't mean the experience is bad as a whole for everyone. That doesn't minimize your issue, but it's not on the same grand scheme as you might make it out to be.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Pauly wrote:

if u need more "juice" have u considered bonding 2 internet connections together to get faster speeds or what ever u call it?

Why on earth would suggest someone else pay Rogers for yet another line to bond with, when Rogers isn't even providing the first line's full service due to congestion because they're too damned cheap to upgrade hardware.  That looks like massive congestion, and bonding another line won't fix that.

I'd be complaining to Rogers daily.

I'm Here A Lot

Good idea, and also the idiot telling me to get another ISP, you dont know what you're talking about.

Heres my problem, I dont know any of our account details or anything... can I jsut call in and complain?

I Plan to Stick Around

@Pauly wrote:
When I was young, we only had internet speeds around 1 or 2 Mbps, Gamers never complained, infact they thought they were spoiled and they played their online games just fine and had no issues.

I think the real problem is the Game companies, making unrealistic internet requirements. Maybe the games are made in the usa where internet is different here? but we live in canada, so our internet isnt gonna get faster over night.

No offense, I probably predate you by a decade on this subject.  The reason why we never complained, is because our internet connections were stable and our gaming was uninterupted.

Thinking that technology shouldn't progress is simply foolish.  If you have been around it this long, you should know better than to expect the same data requirements that were needed 10 years ago should be ok today.

That's not how things work.  In todays world the internet is graphically demanding.  These high definition games and movies come at a price, and that always means more bandwidth.

Even current games can run perfectly fine on 1Mbps.  The problem here is that Rogers cable cannot run a stable 1Mbps currently.  The original poster is correct, the system is totally messed up and Rogers is probably operating broken traffic shaping software.

Why else do you think the CRTC mandated them to fix it by the end of the month?  That's the bottom line. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Ressy wrote:

I'd be complaining to Rogers daily.

I'd like to but I have a life!

I Plan to Stick Around

I urge you to take 10 minutes and let your voice be heard.

Be concise.

Call David Carswell CTV Kitchener news room. 519-578-1314. Send a concise email of your Rogers experience this month to

news@swo.ctv.ca

Ellen Roseman - Toronto Star
eroseman@thestar.ca
416-945-8687

-1 mbps download speeds from 5pm on, every night for nearly a month. Issue has happened in the past many times.

-Rogers CAT & Tech support finally admitting it's on "the Rogers side" yesterday. Not the fault of subscribers as had been their assertion for weeks.

The numbers will show the media this is news worthy.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would love to see a news report on people who need more internet juice and companies like rogers who are not offering such plans

another thing I'd like to see is a news report on people who are addicted to child games like world of warcraft and eat/sleep/talk warcraft all day long. I knew a guy like this and every 10 minures he would grab a pad of paper and write down notes on how to attack his opponent. it was like an addiction. anyways best of luck

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@Pauly wrote:
I would love to see a news report on people who need more internet juice and companies like rogers who are not offering such plans

another thing I'd like to see is a news report on people who are addicted to child games like world of warcraft and eat/sleep/talk warcraft all day long. I knew a guy like this and every 10 minures he would grab a pad of paper and write down notes on how to attack his opponent. it was like an addiction. anyways best of luck

And there it is. The hidden prejudice you have has surfaced. It's not the fact we play and enjoy these games. It's the fact we PAY Rogers to supply us with the necessary internet connections to do so.

I Plan to Stick Around

@BGrant wrote:

@Pauly wrote:
When I was young, we only had internet speeds around 1 or 2 Mbps, Gamers never complained, infact they thought they were spoiled and they played their online games just fine and had no issues.

I think the real problem is the Game companies, making unrealistic internet requirements. Maybe the games are made in the usa where internet is different here? but we live in canada, so our internet isnt gonna get faster over night.

No offense, I probably predate you by a decade on this subject.  The reason why we never complained, is because our internet connections were stable and our gaming was uninterupted.

Thinking that technology shouldn't progress is simply foolish.  If you have been around it this long, you should know better than to expect the same data requirements that were needed 10 years ago should be ok today.

That's not how things work.  In todays world the internet is graphically demanding.  These high definition games and movies come at a price, and that always means more bandwidth.

Even current games can run perfectly fine on 1Mbps.  The problem here is that Rogers cable cannot run a stable 1Mbps currently.  The original poster is correct, the system is totally messed up and Rogers is probably operating broken traffic shaping software.

Why else do you think the CRTC mandated them to fix it by the end of the month?  That's the bottom line. 

I agree with what you said and I would like to empathize the words that I am bolding in the quote.

I've Been Here Awhile

And what might that upload speed be? 900? 600? 500?... 125 is what I am getting. No where near 1024.