cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusually High Pings

brandi_gal
I've Been Here Awhile

For the past 2 days I have been experiencing increased ping with not much effect on my current download / upload speeds.

I am paying for 50 down / 4 up. I am getting (in speed tests, I know it is boosted) 60 - 80 down, 3 up.

But my ping during these tests is anywhere from 80 - 100. When normally I would be geeting 10 - 20.

 

The reason I decided to test is because I was noting increased ping on numerous Counter-Strike serves (150+) on servers that i normally get 20 - 30 on.

This has extended to most of the games I play, but again, it is not really effecting my ability to watch videos on netflix / streams on twitch.

Anyone have any ideas?

 

 

***edited labels***

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Unusually High Pings

Fractal
I'm Here A Lot

Okay, as a gamer who plays a lot of Counter Strike on PC, which requires a consistent latency and for all of the packets to be sent and received I can honestly say that rogers has the worst internet ever. What can I do to fix my 200ms of jitter with like 50% packet loss EVERY 5 DAMNED SECONDS? I dont understand why rogers internet blows so much, we pay like $60/month to be PERSONALLY ripped off by them. Every night from 7pm to 1am the connection slows to a crawl and its so unacceptable. Its stupid how we all feed rogers our money, when in reality if this happened in any other country, the company would die so quickly. There are 2 options in Canada, and they both suck and are so ridiculously inconsistent.

 

I know its not my computer or router or modem, as they are all new, and I dont torrent or use any P2P applications whatsoever. I also run my browser sand boxed and have my firewall configured very well AND my router is encrypted with WPA-PSK2 + Mac filtering. BTW I know like 10 people who have stopped using rogers because they continue to fail to provide internet that is even decent. It gets exceptionally worse and worse everyday and its ridiculous.

 

Im about to cancel my internet over this BS:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/47074799.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1488528738.png

My speed should be:

24 megabits per second downloading

1 megabit per second uploading

 

I've actually never been so frustrated before, rogers you make me sick you greedy pigs.

Re: Unusually High Pings

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When I was young, we only had internet speeds around 1 or 2 Mbps, Gamers never complained, infact they thought they were spoiled and they played their online games just fine and had no issues.

I think the real problem is the Game companies, making unrealistic internet requirements. Maybe the games are made in the usa where internet is different here? but we live in canada, so our internet isnt gonna get faster over night.



Re: Unusually High Pings

Thanks for your reply pauly, but look at my speeds... I would be happy if I at least had 1mbps upload, but I can barely push 0.15 which is absolutely ridiculous. All you need for counter strike is a measly 30kb/s MINIMUM without jitter or packet loss. Clearly you dont understand where I am coming from. If you knew anythng about playing PC games online you'd know that packet loss is the worst thing that can happen. Everyday for the past 2 months I've been having terrible connection speeds, jitter and packet loss and it seems like nothing is being done to even fix it.

Re: Unusually High Pings

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

**bleep** I even play CS and DoD with 28.8 dial up...not very welll mind you ..pings >400 and lord only knows what the packet loss was..but had a blast anyway with my friends online.

 

There's a LOT of truth to the fact that game designers are demanding more and more out of the servers. BF 1942 required a min 128 kbps..now I think BF3 is demanding MB/s.

 

Don't bother anymore as the games simply aren't fun anymore and my old crowd dispersed.

 

But take heart .. the CRTC has asked Rogers to clean up it's act and stop throttling online game play,though as one commenter stated, they should have been TOLD not ASKED but maybe demanding would have jeopordized their lush salary and pension plans.

Re: Unusually High Pings

Well I mean I see what you're saying beer, but man its crazy because its not just games that do it. Since I play competitive professional counter strike I need a stable connection so I can practice with my team.. Either way, If I ping google for example with no games on or anything, just cmd I will still get terrible pings. The voip client that I use (mumble) when not connected to any server I always see at least 30-40% packet loss, which is ridiculous. Its stupid that they've overloaded my neighborhood and wont spend money to fix it. Seriously, from 7pm and on I cant even watch a youtube video or navigate through a forum like this.

Re: Unusually High Pings

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

if u need more "juice" have u considered bonding 2 internet connections together to get faster speeds or what ever u call it?



Re: Unusually High Pings

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Why feed Rogers even more??

 

Any ordinary cable/dsl service should be more than adequaate to handle older games such as CS:S.

 

Re: Unusually High Pings

Amped
I've Been Here Awhile

Pauly you have got to be kidding me. Actually suggesting getting two internet lines to play CSS lag free is so **bleep** laughable.

The internet rogers provides is slow as **bleep** and bad, thats all there is to it. You should not need two lines at all to play a **bleep** online game. He is already paying a lot of money for his internet and not getting the speeds advertised at all.

Re: Unusually High Pings

MichelR
I'm a Reliable Contributor

That seems kind of slow even with throttling in effect.  Have you contacted them?  I'm wondering if it could be node congestion.  I don't play online games so I can't compare, but I always get the advertised upload speed here (download is another story, but that also depends on the server feeding what you're downloading so...)

Re: Unusually High Pings

Holmes
I Plan to Stick Around

You should really just relax and spend some time with tech support. There could be bad lines, or any number of things. 

 

Don't get me wrong, I have a list of complaints about Rogers that is ten feet long, but it all relates to policies and customer service in particular. But I find the actual products to be amazing. I've never had an issue. I'm definitely getting the speeds I was promised (depending on the other ends connection too, of course), and many others are too.

 

Don't always assume there's some grand conspiracy, or "theft" going on.... 

 

Again, I'm no Rogers fanboy, I've ragged on Rogers a LOT in the past, but I've never actually had a problem with the service itself. And yes, I do game online, on PC and Xbox. I know it's frustrating if you're having a bad experience... but that doesn't mean the experience is bad as a whole for everyone. That doesn't minimize your issue, but it's not on the same grand scheme as you might make it out to be.

Re: Unusually High Pings

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Pauly wrote:

if u need more "juice" have u considered bonding 2 internet connections together to get faster speeds or what ever u call it?


Why on earth would suggest someone else pay Rogers for yet another line to bond with, when Rogers isn't even providing the first line's full service due to congestion because they're too damned cheap to upgrade hardware.  That looks like massive congestion, and bonding another line won't fix that.

 

I'd be complaining to Rogers daily.

Re: Unusually High Pings

Fractal
I'm Here A Lot

Good idea, and also the idiot telling me to get another ISP, you dont know what you're talking about.

 

Heres my problem, I dont know any of our account details or anything... can I jsut call in and complain?

Re: Unusually High Pings

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

@Pauly wrote:
When I was young, we only had internet speeds around 1 or 2 Mbps, Gamers never complained, infact they thought they were spoiled and they played their online games just fine and had no issues.

I think the real problem is the Game companies, making unrealistic internet requirements. Maybe the games are made in the usa where internet is different here? but we live in canada, so our internet isnt gonna get faster over night.

 

No offense, I probably predate you by a decade on this subject.  The reason why we never complained, is because our internet connections were stable and our gaming was uninterupted.

 

Thinking that technology shouldn't progress is simply foolish.  If you have been around it this long, you should know better than to expect the same data requirements that were needed 10 years ago should be ok today.

 

That's not how things work.  In todays world the internet is graphically demanding.  These high definition games and movies come at a price, and that always means more bandwidth.

 

Even current games can run perfectly fine on 1Mbps.  The problem here is that Rogers cable cannot run a stable 1Mbps currently.  The original poster is correct, the system is totally messed up and Rogers is probably operating broken traffic shaping software.

 

Why else do you think the CRTC mandated them to fix it by the end of the month?  That's the bottom line. 

Re: Unusually High Pings

lucretrius3
I Plan to Stick Around

 

@Ressy wrote:

I'd be complaining to Rogers daily.


I'd like to but I have a life!

Re: Unusually High Pings

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

I urge you to take 10 minutes and let your voice be heard.

 

Be concise.

Call David Carswell CTV Kitchener news room. 519-578-1314. Send a concise email of your Rogers experience this month to

news@swo.ctv.ca

Ellen Roseman - Toronto Star
eroseman@thestar.ca
416-945-8687

-1 mbps download speeds from 5pm on, every night for nearly a month. Issue has happened in the past many times.

-Rogers CAT & Tech support finally admitting it's on "the Rogers side" yesterday. Not the fault of subscribers as had been their assertion for weeks.

The numbers will show the media this is news worthy.

Re: Unusually High Pings

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would love to see a news report on people who need more internet juice and companies like rogers who are not offering such plans

another thing I'd like to see is a news report on people who are addicted to child games like world of warcraft and eat/sleep/talk warcraft all day long. I knew a guy like this and every 10 minures he would grab a pad of paper and write down notes on how to attack his opponent. it was like an addiction. anyways best of luck



Re: Unusually High Pings

Plr1313
I've Been Here Awhile

@Pauly wrote:
I would love to see a news report on people who need more internet juice and companies like rogers who are not offering such plans

another thing I'd like to see is a news report on people who are addicted to child games like world of warcraft and eat/sleep/talk warcraft all day long. I knew a guy like this and every 10 minures he would grab a pad of paper and write down notes on how to attack his opponent. it was like an addiction. anyways best of luck

And there it is. The hidden prejudice you have has surfaced. It's not the fact we play and enjoy these games. It's the fact we PAY Rogers to supply us with the necessary internet connections to do so.

Re: Unusually High Pings

Patr1
I Plan to Stick Around

 


@BGrant wrote:

@Pauly wrote:
When I was young, we only had internet speeds around 1 or 2 Mbps, Gamers never complained, infact they thought they were spoiled and they played their online games just fine and had no issues.

I think the real problem is the Game companies, making unrealistic internet requirements. Maybe the games are made in the usa where internet is different here? but we live in canada, so our internet isnt gonna get faster over night.

 

No offense, I probably predate you by a decade on this subject.  The reason why we never complained, is because our internet connections were stable and our gaming was uninterupted.

 

Thinking that technology shouldn't progress is simply foolish.  If you have been around it this long, you should know better than to expect the same data requirements that were needed 10 years ago should be ok today.

 

That's not how things work.  In todays world the internet is graphically demanding.  These high definition games and movies come at a price, and that always means more bandwidth.

 

Even current games can run perfectly fine on 1Mbps.  The problem here is that Rogers cable cannot run a stable 1Mbps currently.  The original poster is correct, the system is totally messed up and Rogers is probably operating broken traffic shaping software.

 

Why else do you think the CRTC mandated them to fix it by the end of the month?  That's the bottom line. 


I agree with what you said and I would like to empathize the words that I am bolding in the quote.

Re: Unusually High Pings

Snapper
I've Been Here Awhile

And what might that upload speed be? 900? 600? 500?... 125 is what I am getting. No where near 1024.

Re: Unusually High Pings

Speedy1701
I'm a Reliable Contributor

After updating to the Cisco DPC3825 Modem yesterday (and with the Rogers Extreme plan), I am able to get 1Mbps upload speeds.