cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual Jitter

Daniel2525
I Plan to Stick Around

At around 2:45pm to approximately 3-4am there is an abnormal jitter that becomes very annoying in online fps games.

Problem is time related.

Problem started July 15, 2014 and so far

I've:

Changed from modem Cisco-DPC-3825 to CGN-3 after replacing it 3 times. Replaced CGN-3 numerous times since techs said it might have been the problem. 

Ran download speed tests regularly since July 2014 and it is fine, getting 75-80 Mbps.

It happens on both wired/wireless connections. Problem persists even if there is only 1 device connected to our internet. 

It isn't any of the device's fault (When I use other internet connections, there is no or minimal jitter).

Had 6-7 techs come since July and a senior tech who just blew it off and said there was no problem.

Tried bridge-mode and had a very good and expensive ASUS router that I used where the problem persisted.

Currently, I experience 1ms jitter outside of 3pm - 3am. 

During approximately 3pm to 3am there is 20ms jitter when pinging (192.168.0.1, should be getting 1ms or less).

There is up to 30ms jitter and regularly 20ms when pinging websites like google.ca or rogers.com

In 1 online first person shooter game I play, I get 11ms outside of the 3pm-3am and during this time there is about 15-20ms jitter. Some may say this is fine but it is not normal and it can be seen in the way people move in this game.

On other online games I checked just to make sure it wasn't the game, I had 30ms jitter on a server I was getting 31ms lowest (Frequently in the 40s, 50s, and 60s). 

** One thing that got me lower ping but wasn't a solution: During July - September after speaking to numerous techs and having them over, I kind of gave up on the problem and tried out Bell simultaneously while having Rogers internet. The download speed was 5mbps which was too low for my needs which I figured out after getting it (oops). However, I was getting 9ms stable to google.ca and 11ms to rogers.com and less than 1ms wireless to the gateway (192.168.0.1). 

I am not too sure why it was like this with Bell except something possibly about how Bell used something for the phone at the outside green box in my lawn, and Rogers using the one for TV. I have no knowledge about this, just thought it might mean something to someone.

CUrrently have rogers engineer team investigating but I've had them "investigate" numerous times where they just called saying the problem had been resolved but nothing changed.

Anyone got any suggestions or think they know what it might be so I can relay to Rogers?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Unusual Jitter

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a look at the following threads, which will explain part of the issue:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/IGNITEAAE/message-id/31#M31

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29932981-Anyone-having-fluxing-ping-to-their-cable-modems-recently-...

Edit:  Private message sent.  Please check the mail symbol at the upper right hand corner of the page.

Daniel2525
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes but I mentioned that it was the exact same on the other modem (DPC-3825) and DPC-3825 worked well for 2 years and then on July 15, 2014, this problem developed and has been the same regardless of the modem used or router used if I go into bridge mode.

Yes, understand.  Just pointing out at this point that part of the problem now is the CGN3 itself.  So now its an issue of, where does part of the problem attributable to the CGN3 end, and where do the network problems begin.  Keep posting your progress, and keep pushing the support staff that you are conversing with for a solution to the problem.  Let us know if the solution is finally found, or if the investigation comes to a grinding halt with no success.

Daniel2525
I Plan to Stick Around
And I'm back to step 1.. Rogers can't identify what is causing it so when the senior tech comes to check (the same 1 that came to my home nearly a year ago) and says there is no problem and doesn't understand what ping jitter even is.

The problem is heavily time related and Rogers has not the slightest clue, and no it is not the modem, people with the same modem have normal ping and ping jitter.

Daniel2525
I Plan to Stick Around
Also, will doing a tracert help identify the problem? I don't understand the results myself and all the techs at our house or on the phone not once performed a tracert in cmd prompt.

Daniel2525
I Plan to Stick Around

Tracert to Rogers.com: [img]http://imgur.com/1rihjME[/img]

Daniel2525
I Plan to Stick Around

a tracert to rogers.com isnt necessarily the best thing to test with... as their external facing pages, aren't necessarily directly accessible via the internal network.
(its pretty evident by the route the tracert takes.. going out to allstream, before the final destination.)

Its really sounding more time of day.. which would lead to in my opinion to a more localized signal/signal strength issue at those times.. that when more people are on.. somethings getting overloaded or even as simple as the local wiring in the streets can handle the FULL load.

Have you compared signal strengths from a GOOD time to a BAD time?

Daniel2525
I Plan to Stick Around
http://imgur.com/sZFWpjM,qoGQBcK is at 1:40am which is a good time, and 6:20 pm which is a bad time. http://imgur.com/sZFWpjM,qoGQBcK#1

Keep in mind, the jitter is better at these very early morning times than in the evenings on online applications where you can see your ping times, and is noticeable in gaming. However, no matter what time of day, the jitter is the same in command prompt (e.g 1-15ms to 192.168.0.1 and 11-40ms back and forth to google.ca and rogers.com)

Yeah, not really a jump there i would suspect, signal wise.

Unfortunately, i think PART of it is due to the poor "ROUTER" part of the unit.

Many people notice the higher pings, even just to the local router.

(which MAY be just enough which is causing you issues)

The only way around this though, is to bridge it.  Any users posting on here who have it that way, have not noticed anything.

Daniel2525
I Plan to Stick Around
I went out and got a router and put the CGN3 in bridge mode. All this did was fix the jitter to 192.168.0.1, not to all other online applications or to other things you can ping on cmd prompt.

What are you pinging? and having latency to?

Have you tried trace routes to the endpoint servers?

In another thread, with LoL, we were noticing some routing issues at Level3... so this is something OUTSIDE of the rogers network causing it.

Daniel2525
I Plan to Stick Around
I'm having abnormal ping jitter to EVERYTHING that I can see my ping time on such as all online games, programs for chatting (skype, teamspeak3, mumble etc). I don't know how to trace routes to endpoint servers so no I haven't done that. All these programs have normal jitter for a family members internet who also has rogers.

Daniel2525
I Plan to Stick Around
Oh and also, on pingtest.net, my ping jitter to the closest places is 1-2ms at the best times for me and 5-6 at the worst times. Keep in mind it is like this for the closest place for me, so further places on pingtest.net that are I have 50-60ms ping with, I end up having 10-15ms jitter during peek times.

Personally i dont like that site.. just as there isnt really any OPTIONS for anything even remotely local..

Canada wise.. like Sudburry... and then in the US.

Its hoping from rogers, to usually at least one iterconnect.. then to the end servers network (especially for the ones in the US).
The further away you go.. there is always going to add a LITTLE bit of latency, etc.. just for the distance the info has to travel.

As for how to do trace routes.

You need to know the END server you are connecting to.  either their name, or even better IP address if its available.

You then open a command prompt on the PC.
And type:

tracert  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  

Where the xxx's are the IP address or the name.

This should give you all the hops/nodes it takes, going from here to the end server.. and shows basic ping times for each hop.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation