Unusual High Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ddee
I've Been Here Awhile

Unusual High Data Usage

The data usage is showing extremely high for the amount of usage I have actually used. Can not figure out why. Nothing has changed in the way I use the wireless internet, other than have just switched over from bell turbo hub wireless to Rogers XLE hotspot . 

Have not downloaded anything. Only used it to check email, banking, and scroll thru Facebook. Do not watch any video stuff, do not use utube nor watch/download utube.

and have consciously closed down computer more often , and used it far less than normal.

have about 6 days this month to go, and already have used double the data I would have normally used with bell ??

does Rogers have any type of site that shows actual data usage as it is being used, and perchance where that dat is being used ?

****Edit Labels****

lockdown2341
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: Unusual High Data Usage

Unfortunately there is no way to watch the data as it is being used, nor where the data is being used. You can register for a "MyRogers" account and it'll show you how much data you have used so far in the billing cycle, but that is about it.

From the way you're describing things, there had to have been a change in the way you do things online besides switching from Bell to Rogers. Are you checking your e-mail, banking, and Facebook more then you used to? That's the only thing I can think of.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Ddee Is this data use using a cellphone or computer? Is this cellphone data or Internet bandwidth use? Is it the same browser for Rogers as you used for Bell? I notice that whenever I access anything with Firefox, I see it's sharing my activity with a lot of other websites down in the bottom left hand corner. Could it be that Rogers shares more of your activity than Bell did? Or is it that Bell didn't record your uploaded data and Rogers does?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Ddee
I've Been Here Awhile

Less than usual , in fact away for 4 days , and since I have been watching the usage plle up, trying to use less than ever.

even turned off computer, after I downloaded a program to monitor usage , and while it was off, the usage increased !

lockdown2341
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I would suggest that you check your computer to see if it is updating anything. Anything like Windows Update, or any other programs that you have, can update themselves in the background and incur usage. As well make sure your computer isn't set to wake up and do anything; certain programs can be set up to 'wake' the computer temporarily for a download, virus scan, etcetera.

Do you have any other devices connected to the hotspot? Phone, tablet, game console, etcetera?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Ddee another possibility is someone using your Wifi. Do you have it secured with a good password? I had a neighbour with unsecured Wifi and my son used it all the time before I had Wifi.

Ddee
I've Been Here Awhile

Do not have any neighbours close enough. Also password protected. Have just installed a data monitor on computer so we will see.

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

When I started having long distance charges from what had been my local calling area for about 15 years I got a similar reaction from Rogers people .... head under the rug and excuses.  I  finally sorted it out though.  I wouldn't close any doors on resolving it.  You would think that they would know the equipment that they use  but there can be unusual  issues that can arise that they don't clue in to for whatever reason and I expect it will be a rare occaision when it's not the customer left holding the bag.

It will be very interesting to here how the consumptios compare .

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

One more observation. Even though your browsing habits have not changed over the last year, the amount of data provided by websites has. Videos are more data-heavy now, just because more people have new computers and higher bandwidth. Now, when I watch a CTV news clip, it occasionally buffers because my 15Mbps bandwidth is marginal and my old laptop CPU maxes out, overheats and the video stutters.  It didn't do that a year ago.  With up to six users in the house I used to average about 150 Gigs a month and now it's over 500.

Ddee
I've Been Here Awhile

That's just the thing . I know that videos, utube, downloading of songs, movies, pictures, and news clips use a lot of data.

since I have got the Rogers service, I specifically do NOT use any of that type of thing, especially once I noticed the data skyrocketing !