cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable Ping and Download Speed?

TonyNg
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been experiencing very bad ping spikes for the past 2 months.It's is not noticeable while doing web surfing or loading videos, but it is extremely annoying in Games. I even switched to a better internet plan & replaced my modem but it does not fix the problem, could this be a problem with the cable?

I recorded this video using Teamspeak's ping as an example because games' ping are simlar. I used to have constant 40 - 60 ms ping before this happened (>100ms ping in Teamspeak can be about 200 - 500 ms ping in games). 

<Recorded Video>

These are download speed tests (all done within 1 hour):

<Test 1>

<Test 2>

<Test 3>

***edited labels***

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Unstable Ping and Download Speed?

Datalink
Resident Expert

Are those speedtests done via wireless or wired connection?

Can you log into your modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread please, just to have a look at the RG-6 signal levels and signal to noise ratios.

TonyNg
I've Been Here Awhile

Tests were done via wireless, i could run some speed test through LAN also.

And is this the table that you need?

http://puu.sh/g1npX/102026af9f.png

Yep, those are the correct tables.   The signal levels and signal to noise ratios don't look bad at all.   Can you rerun your speedtests via wired connection, just to see the difference between wired and wireless ping times.  Its interesting to see a 4 channel down modem these days, what modem are you running out of curiosity?  Is this a Rogers combo modem / router or a modem with a third party router running?

@Datalink , Great analysis of the data. 9-11ms of ping and speeds of upto 31Mbps on wifi seems great. I believe that's the screenshot of SMCD3GN gateway modem. Ofcourse, awaiting reply from @ TonyNg. BTW, are you on Express package?