Unsolicited Premium Text Msg - Rogers NOT helping!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Unsolicited Premium Text Msg - Rogers NOT helping!

My partner recently got inundated with spam text messages and was charged $5 per received text.  She never solicited them nor entered her number on any website.   Yet Rogers still feels she should pay for it.  It's a disgrace and dishonest way to do business.  Rogers was "nice enough" to give her a one-time credit for the accrued amount, but offered no help in preventing further premium texts from being received.

This is a deliberate scam on Rogers' part, because they're profiting off of illegal premium text sent to unsuspecting clients.

I have worked as a Technical Project Mgr in the Telco/Wireless industry in Europe and know for a fact that it is possible to filter/block just about anything, but especially data communication that has a $$ charge attached to it.

See Vodafone UK example: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1033403/voda-creates-premium-text-blocker

Rogers' customer service department deliberately stonewalls callers and asks them to call a billing number they happen to have for the spam originator.   Why should a customer have to deal with a 3rd party they've never contacted before to try and get their money back ?

This would be akin to credit card companies charging their clients for fraudulent charges incurred by anyone.

I have lived in 6 countries and travelled in many more, used over 20 different wireless operators in my life and I say this with no venom, but merely professional opinion, Rogers is the most expensive, least customer oriented service I know.  The US's AT&T is a close 2nd.   

So, while I'm hoping someone from Rogers would reply here, I suspect it's political and standard internal policy.  Canadians are some of the most friendly and polite people I've met, but I suspect it's the reason why no one has seriously put up a class-action against the collusion and price-gauging that occurs in Canada... and not just in the Telco industry.

'nuff said.

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Re: Unsolicited Premium Text Msg - Rogers NOT helping!

Hi ttales and welcome to the forums,

Rogers does not have a premium text blocker. You can block a specific number by texting it to "SPAM" (in the body of the message enter only the number you wish to block).

In regards to your billing issue, I suggest escalating this via customer care at 1866-931-3282. If you feel these are fraudulent charges we can definitely look into this for you.

If you never subscribed to these premium messages I suggest also contacting the company in question to get as much information as possible.

I hope you get to the bottom of this,

I'm Here A Lot

Hi Jean,

Thank you for responding.  We've already tried the "escalation" route.   Same answer.  

Of course it is fraudulent if you receive a text message that Rogers bills you $5 each time and that was never requested.

What else would you call that ?

Thanks for confirming that Rogers does not allow blocking of premium text.  The important question is, why not ?

Many other carriers do allow that!

Blocking spam is rarely possible because I've yet to see a 10-digit "real" number that you can block. Typically, the spammers modify the id and all you get is a 5 or 6 digit useless number that you cannot block.   Why does Rogers not simply disallow text messages sent from "anonymous" sources ?

Regarding your suggestion to contact the spammer. Why should I ?  They know that I know that they are spammers. You *really* think that a company that sends out Trivia txt msgs would care to return money for a service that we never ordered in the first place ?    The burden of proof should lie with YOU, Rogers!  You're the one billing me and if you cannot furnish a receipt from said spammer that proves I subscribed to that service, then YOU should block them and refund my money.

Is that an unreasonable expectation ?

I've previously received spam that didn't cost anything, so I just delete & ignore.  But being charged big $$ for unrequested text is a new one and I'm sure I won't be the only person to complain about this.

To be fair, you did refund the $25 on this occasion.  Calling it a "one-time credit".  What about the next time ?  It's the principle of how you charge your customers for services that is askew here.

I Plan to Stick Around

There is in fact a block that can prevent you from getting a third party text message.

Call customer service and inquire about it.

I have it on my account.

Also, I'd suggest deleting these texts and not even opening them.  That's one way around not being charged for them.

Hopefully this helps!

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation