cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking iPhone Thread

mysticode
I've Been Around

Hi,

We'll be travelling to the Philippines for a few weeks shortly and I was wondering whether it is possible to get my iPhone 4 unlocked so that I can use it there with a local carrier?

Thanks

***edited labels***

499 REPLIES 499

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Micolas:

Thanks. For some reason I missed the * so tried it again and it worked.Smiley Embarassed

melliwilso
I've Been Around

I bought a rogers iphone 4s and hooked up service.  due to the mountainous area i live in I could not get rogers service on my phone.  I contacted rogers who said no problem they would cancel my contract without charge and unlock my iphone to use with telus.  I was at the telus store when i had the conversation with rogers (not wanting to end up with two contracts)

Rogers forgot to unlock the phone at that time.  I contact rogers again by phone last night and the woman on the phone did not know how to unlock my iphone.  She asked if i had a rogers retailer that could help me, i told her i did not. 

She then said to sign up to the chat here and a rogers employee could help me unlock my phone.  Reading over this threads first few pages...i am wondering if she gave me sound information to unlock my phone.

Is there actually an employee here that can help me?  i know all my iemi number(s) etc.

thank you

mell

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello melliwilso

There is no one on here that can unlock your phone. Even the Rogers reps that post here, can NOT & are NOT allowed to help you unlock your device. They are only alowed to post helpful amswers that is all. You will need to contact Rogers via Phone or go to your local Rogers store & have them unlock the iPhone 4S for $50 for you. Sadly this is the only way they can unlock the device for you.

When contacting Rogers via phone, explain to the rep you want to unlock the phone. If the rep does not know, ask to speak to another rep that knows how to do it. If the refuse, hang up & call back.

I would highly just suggest going to your local Rogers store & do the unlocking that way. They will contact Apple & whitelist the iPhone's IMEI number. Then when you plug it into your iTunes, it will do a update & it will unlock it for you. Remember to always back up your iPhone on iTunes before unlocking or updating the phone.

Micolas
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello melliwilso

Rogers does have a live chat department that can be reached via the "contact us" section of the rogers.com website. These agents are trained and able to assist with their respective services, as well as many other issues that may occur with the following services whereas a phone agent would not be able to assist:

Rogers First Rewards

Rogers One Number

Device unlocking (can also be processed over the phone)

Rogers.com issues

As well as many other services.

Even if your account is canceled, you are still able to unlock your phone provided it meets the following criteria:

-Has not been canceled for more than a year

-The IMEI has been used on or registered to a line for at least 90 days

-There is currently no overdue, or past due balance

-If the account is canceled, a payment of 50$ plus taxes must be made prior to processing the unlocking in order to cover the $50 charge.

These are the major points for the unlocking process.

Hope this helps. 🙂

edited for typos

Awee03
I've Been Around

Hi, I called rogers to have my phone unlocked and they said I have to register the imei and wait 3 months. I've purchased the phone and had it since August 2013.
Just wanted to know if it's true that you have to register it first. I could have registered it earlier if I knew about it. I just thought the phone had to be paid off and used for 90 days

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Awee03

That is correct. Rogers criteria is the following.

-Has not been canceled for more than a year

-The IMEI has been used on or registered to a line for at least 90 days

-There is currently no overdue, or past due balance

-If the account is canceled, a payment of 50$ plus taxes must be made prior to processing the unlocking in order to cover the $50 charge.

So yes. You need to have the IMEI number registered on your Rogers wireless account for 90 days in order to unlock it via Rogers for $50

Micolas
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Hello Awee03

I would almost be tempted to advise you to contact Rogers back and have them confirm the IMEI under the device history.

Even if you don't register your phone on your account, when you connect to a tower using your SIM card, it should have logged the change in hardware under the phone line's device history and the IMEI can be confirmed through that. Granted, this would only work if you have been using the phone actively on that line since August.

This would fall under the "Used" portion of:
-The IMEI has been used on or registered to a line for at least 90 days.

It could be that the agent had only confirmed the registered hardware or may have missed it.

Hope this helps 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Everyone!.

Here are the Original Rules & policy to have your phone unlocked via Rogers.

How do I get my wireless device unlocked?

You can have your wireless device unlocked at any of our Rogers retail/dealer stores or contact us via phone, email, or live chat. To unlock your device, your account must be in good standing, you must pay the $50 fee (plus applicable taxes) and you must satisfy one of the criteria below.

• Your current device has been active on your Rogers account for at least 90 days.
  • You have purchased a device at the no-term price (i.e. no discount for committing to a fixed term.)

Do you charge for unlocking a device?

You can unlock your device for a $50 fee plus applicable taxes.

Why do I have to wait 90 days before I can unlock my device?

Your device has been optimized for use on the Rogers network. You may find that some settings or features do not function properly once the device is unlocked and in use with another carrier's SIM card. We want to ensure that you've had the chance to experience the full capabilities of your device on the Rogers network before making the decision to unlock.

What if I purchased the wireless device without a Rogers FLEXtab™ agreement (i.e., paid the no-term price)? Do I have to wait 90 days before I can unlock my device?

When you purchase a wireless device on a new or existing Rogers account at the no-term price, you are eligible to unlock it immediately.

Can I unlock a device that I bought from another carrier?

We can only unlock devices that have been purchased directly from Rogers.

Will unlocking affect the way my device works?

If you're using another carrier's SIM card with your unlocked Rogers device, some settings or features may not function properly as they're configured to the Rogers network.

Am I still subject to my term commitment if I unlock my device?

Yes. Unlocking your device does not affect your FLEXtab™ agreement or term commitment.

Does unlocking my device void my warranty?

If your device is unlocked by Rogers, it will not void your warranty.

If I unlock my device, can I use it anywhere in the world?

Yes, provided there is service in that area on a network compatible with your device. You will need to insert a SIM card of a local carrier to use your device elsewhere.

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/unlock/733?setLanguage=en

I phoned Rogers Wireless to unlock my cell phone. The phone was active for at least a year on a business account. The company shut down, the contract was canceled, and the penalty paid. Rogers refused to unlock the phone because I didn't have a Rogers Account Number. There's no good reason for Rogers to refuse to unlock my phone for the $50 fee. I filed a complaint with the CRTC. 

If anyone else feels their rights are being ignored you can file complaints at http://www.crtc.gc.ca/RapidsCCM/Register.asp?lang=E
There's also more info at http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t12.htm

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello maverickagm

Once the account is closed, they can not see the IMEI on any account thus why they are not able to unlock it. This is how it works with any carrier in the world.. The rules say the account must be active in order to unlock the cellphone.

Hi... I will be getting an iPhone 5c thats locked to Rogers soon... It is for my grandmother who is moving to Europe soon, and I figured i'd buy her a new mobile before she goes there. (I'm getting it off kijiji)

I am with Telus so don't have a rogers account. How can I go about unlocking this phone? Can I put it on prepaid and load the account up with $50 credit to unlock?

Thanks

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
@jackthecompguy get your grandmother to unlock it before she gives it to you! If you read the thread you will see that the original owner of the phone needs to do it.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello jackthecompguy

Unfortunately no. You will need to have a active Rogers account which. Pre paid doesn't work for this. You can try calling Rogers and see what they say but i doubt it will work

Thanks guys.... If I get the original owner to do it can it be done from a Rogers store?

And it can't even be done if I use a friends Rogers postpaid/contract account?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello jackthecompguy

If the original owner is still with Rogers and the IMEI number is still on their account, then yes they can do it as long as they pay the $50 for it. After that have them release the IMEI number from their wireless account if they are still with Rogers

If the owner can not do it, yes someone u may know can BUT the IMEI number must be on their Rogers wireless account for a maximum days of 90 days.

Call into Rogers and see what they can do for u

Lol did you mean "minimum" or maximum there?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Jackthecompguy

Lol my mistake there. You need to have the IMEI number on the account for 90 days for more for them to unlock it. If the device was bought Outright then that won't matter

OK Awesome. I contacted the owner and he's gonna come with me to the Rogers store. So with him present in the store with me it will be able to be unlocked for sure? I don't wanna inconvinience him for nothing.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello jackthecompguy

If the IMEI number is still on their account, then yes it shall be good and work. The IMEI number must still be on their account to do it. If they were the first owners then the IMEI number should be on the account

Yeah he originally bought the phone from Rogers outright and he's using it on his account right now. (He'll be meeting me at the Rogers store, unlocking the iPhone for me then presumably buying his next phone right there)

That should work? Sorry for being so over paranoid lol