cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking iPhone Thread

mysticode
I've Been Around

Hi,

We'll be travelling to the Philippines for a few weeks shortly and I was wondering whether it is possible to get my iPhone 4 unlocked so that I can use it there with a local carrier?

Thanks

***edited labels***

499 REPLIES 499

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Sndnsn

Actually if you buy a iPhone from someone else and wish to unlock it, you only pay the $50 unlocking fee. You don't pay the Cancellation fees or anything. That would have been paid by the original owner given that they decided not to unlock it when cancelling the account.

The 90 days rule was made by the CRTC and carries to make sure customers don't cancel their account immediately and request the device to be unlocked.

There is sadly nothing that can be done and everyone knows iPhones are the hardest to unlock as they need to be white listed on apples systems to be unlocked vs other devices which u can unlock easier.

Hello, @Meowmix

That's very interesting to hear, because that is my exact situation. I purchased the phone from someone and I cannot have the phone unlocked even while willing to pay the $50 unlocking fee.

So, it's quite evident to me, that what you say can happen, is not happening. Whatever the reason might be, that's not how it happens every time.

And again, the fact that customers cannot cancel their accounts immediately and request the device to be unlocked has no benefit to anyone but the carriers.

It is purely to force customers into having to stay with the carrier. The carriers already had the monetary way of regaining their losses from such a customer through the cancellation fees.

If what you're telling me, is that there could have been a loophole that allowed a customer to be able to cancel their account immediately with no penalties, then it seems pretty clear to me that was what needed to be prevented.

This unlocking rule is trying to solve a problem with a solution for a different problem. And this 90 day rule does not exist in pretty much any other country. Actually does it exist in any other country at all?

US? Nope. All of Europe? Nope.

iPhones are the hardest to unlock for third-party unlockers for sure. But for the carriers? It's quite easy to unlock for the exact reason you state. All that has to be done is for a carrier to add the iPhones IMEI to an internal list, that gets sent to Apple, who will then input it into their whitelist on their servers. Done.

And that, is exactly why we are here talking to Rogers employees about unlocking our iPhones instead of having already unlocked phones done by a third party weeks ago.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Sndnsn

Unfortunately nothing can be done. It's a rule that the carriers and CRTC made and it seems like it won't change at all. Unfortunately at this moment either two things can be done as we said, open a account and use it for 90 days and have th email unlock it or I would suggest speaking to a manager and see what they can do. Unfortunately the forums is user to user and the MOD can't do much unless u are a Rogers customer.

It would be easier if u could be able to unlock the device after 30 days on a contract but seems like they won't change it. As for someone buying a used one, none of the carriers in the states will allow u to unlock the device that way as well..I tried when I was in Buffalo with At&T but they said no because it's locked to Verizon. Went to Verizon and wouldn't let me unless I was on a contract with them. So seems to be similar a bit.

Hello @Meowmix

No worries. At this point I'm just airing out frustrations about the situation. I've already come to the conclusion that the Mods nor even a manager can do anything about this situation. I've already called in about that. 

With the rule being so made up and total nonsense, the only way I can get this to be done is to have a personal relationship with someone in Rogers that can handle this for me. 

Anyways, I'm really not blaming you or any of the mods here, so hopefully I didn't come off like that. I can tell you wish you could help more by the endless amounts of "unfortunately"s that you have written, haha. 

Just leaving up my arguments, for arguments sake, and that maybe it'll get some other Rogers' customers to think about it a little more. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Sndnsn

Sadly i do not work for Rogers and even if I did there isn't much i can do. We are all chess pieces here waiting until the CRTC and carriers change their mind about the rules. Most of us wish the rules could be a changed a bit to have more room and ways to unlock our devices but nothing has happened.

As many here have said, it ends up causing some customers more problems when buying a locked iPhone which in the end u can notunlock .

hi! i also have an iphone 5c from my friend that is locked on your network. can you unlock it? the phone is now here in the philippines. thank you

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @kweysnafar

Unfortunately in order for Rogers to unlock the device, it must be attached to a Rogers wireless account for 90 days and then unlock it for the fee of $50. Rogers can't unlock devices if u live in another country and use it with another carrier.

Keivn111
I've Been Around

I understand that Rogers offer Rogers' locked phone for $50 after 90days of purchase.

My question is do I need to be current Rogers' customer with receipt of the phone in order to get the phone unlock from Rogers.

Because I am not with Rogers anymore and wondering if I can still visit Rogers near me and have my phone unlocked by paying $50.

I do not have the receipt of the phone but the phone was purchased over 1 year ago.

The phone is iPhone 6S Plus.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Keivn111

Please visit the site below to get more information.

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/unlock/733

johnonico77
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a phone from this company and I would like to give it to a family member who lives in another country. The phone is an iphone 5s. As I do the process to release this phone and can use it in any country. Thank you very much and I look forward to your prompt reply.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @johnonico77

If you have a Rogers account and the IMEI number has been on the account for 90 days then u can ask them to unlock the device for you.

Unfortunately you can't unlock the device by a carrier unless u have it tied to a account or bought it outright from them and unlock it form that date.

johnonico77
I've Been Here Awhile

Do you know any mail from customer service that can confirm this?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @johnonico77

Its on their website and also the CRTC made this rule.

" How do I get my wireless device unlocked?

You can have your wireless device unlocked at any of our Rogers retail/dealer stores or contact us via phone, email, or live chat. To unlock your device, your account must be in good standing, you must pay the $50 fee (plus applicable taxes) and you must satisfy one of the criteria below.
Your current device has been active on your Rogers account for at least 90 days."

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/unlock/733

Korendir
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey there,

I called Rogers earlier today trying to get a used iPhone 6 unlocked. My friend got an upgrade after his contract was up, so I got the iPhone 6 from him. The agent told me that the iPhone 6 has to be on my own account for 90 days before it can be unlocked... Why is that?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Korendir

That is correct as i said above as well. This is the rule the CRTC made for all carriers. It's to ensure many things including making sure the device is working properly with the network and such. Unfortunately this can not be changed.

Korendir
I've Been Here Awhile
So.. making sure the device is working properly with the network and such.... As I mentioned in my post, my friend used the phone for the entirety of his contract WITH Rogers... If that doesn't show that it works "properly" with the network, I really wouldn't know what else would....

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Korendir

That true. Unfortunately the carriers follow what the CRTC tells them to do. You can contact the CRTC with any concerns.

Hi all, 

So here's my Unlocked dilemma.

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 7 Plus from an iPhone 4S. The 4S was purchased under contract with Rogers. That device is now paid off and I want to give to my parents to take overseas. I've deactivated the 4S from my AppleID and wiped all personal apps and data on it. How does the unlock process work? Do I just take the old 4S into a Rogers store and pay up $50? My account with Rogers is in good standing. Not sure I'm missing any other details.

Thank you

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jdas2k

In order to get a unlock code, the IMEI number of the device must be active on the account for more then 90 days. Since u did a upgrade to the iPhone 7, the iPhone 4S IMEI number came off due to the iPhone 7 IMEI number going in. So you have to call then and have the IMEI number put back into the account and wait 90 days unfortunately.

Maybe @CommunityHelps can try something and help?:),

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @jdas2k

In order to get a unlock code, the IMEI number of the device must be active on the account for more then 90 days. Since u did a upgrade to the iPhone 7, the iPhone 4S IMEI number came off due to the iPhone 7 IMEI number going in. So you have to call then and have the IMEI number put back into the account and wait 90 days unfortunately.

Maybe @CommunityHelps can try something and help?:),

Thanks Meowmix

I just did the Rogers Live Chat and they assisted me there. I just changed devices recently. I was able to pull off the IMEI from the iPhone 4S and they were able to process the unlocking. But they mentioned when I boot up the old phone I would need to restore as a new device for the unlock to complete. I was wondering if there's somewhere burried in the settings I could see if the unlock went through properly. I guess the only way to test is to pop in another SIM card from another carrier network? Sorry this is all new territory for me.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jdas2k

The only way to tell if the device is fully unlocked is to add another sim card frok another carrier to see. Unfortunately there is no setting in the device to show u it's been unlocked unlike Android which does.

Don't be sorry :).