cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking iPhone Thread

mysticode
I've Been Around

Hi,

We'll be travelling to the Philippines for a few weeks shortly and I was wondering whether it is possible to get my iPhone 4 unlocked so that I can use it there with a local carrier?

Thanks

***edited labels***

499 REPLIES 499

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Qdriver
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey there Meowmix. This is kinda unrelated to the gentlemans issue above so please forgive the intrusion. I just upgraded to the new phone and now have an unused Iphone 5 which I was hoping to give to a family member. My question is, does the phone not unlock automatically after upgrading, given that I just paid everything off relating to the phones old subsidy?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Qdriver

Unfortunately no. U will need to have Rogers unlock it for a fee of $50. This is their policy for unlocking devices. Even if u upgrade to another phone u can't unlock it unless ur current one is either 90 days on ur contract or fully bought outright then u can unlock it for $50

Seanix
I've Been Around
Do what i did with my iphone 5

In order to get a factory unlock iphone replacement by apple i first unlocked my phone with rogers then i took an appointment at the genius bar at the apple store in order to have a replacement phone i paid the 50$ to apple and they gave me an unlocked iphone since they could see it was already sim unlocked from rogers .. I think it s best this way

Hi Meowmix,

So, after talking for sometime with Rogers (thankfully they have online chat so I could be "my daughter", because I was not enabled on her account), I gave them her IMEI number, paid my $50 and she was able to go in thru itunes and reset her phone and it is unlocked.

She is happy, because a place in the UK wanted 90 pounds to unlock it ($150).

Thanx for the help

Steve

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello slbert

Glad to hear it got unlocked!! 🙂

bbraido
I've Been Around

Someone bought me a new Unlocked iPhone6 for my bday. I have an I phone 5. Do I just take my SIM card from my old phone and put it in my iPhone 6. Then keep my current contract running?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello bbraido

Yes you can do that as both devices use a nano sim card! Once you pop in the nano sim card it should search for the carrier & then register to Rogers!

weridscience
I've Been Here Awhile

Ok - I am getting the runaround from Rogers and am looking for a recommendation on a 3rd party to unlock.

I upgraded to an iPhone 6 plus and want to give my mom my iPhone 5 that I bought when it launched in September 2012.  The device that i have now was a replacement unit that Apple gave me last April when the camera on my original unit stopped working, but for some reason Rogers don't recognize that it was ever on their network even though I swapped my SIM card into it as soon as it was given to me.  The device is paid in full and my account is in good standing, and yet they are telling me I need to wait 90 days for them to unlcok it. 

I had Apple provide me with the service record/IMEI change from the Apple Store, and yet the Rogers Plus I visited were still unable to help me out.  Any advice on where to go now?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello weirdscience

Unfortunately when swamping to get a new one from. Apple, you must always call Rogers to add the new IMEI number on the account. The sim card won't do it.. Thus why they are telling u that.

Unfortunately no one can link you on here a site but u can go on Google and search a few sites and see.

Hello, im going to philippines, i wonder if you can help me unlock my iphone so i can use it there. Thanks.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello glenda0215

Unfortunately nothing Rogers can do unless you phone is on your wireless account for more then 90 days. The IMEI number must be on the account for that time in order for them to unlock it for $50. If u cancel ur account or bought the phone outright u can unlock it immediately for $50.

Other then that u will need to look online for a unlocking site or take it to ur local cellphone shop and have them unlock it for a fee.

fausat
I've Been Around

Please I need to unlocked my iphone5s

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello fausat

Unfortunately this is a user to user forum in which you won't be able to get Rogers to help u unlock ur device this method. You need to contact Rogers via calling them or in store and have them unlock it for a fee of $50. YOU'RE IMEI number must be on the account for 90 days unless u bought the device outright via Apple or Rogers

Nazy_S
I've Been Here Awhile

what if the sim card is from iPhone 4s? I know iPhone 6 needs a nano sim card. I bought my iPhone 6 from apple as well , so should I take my phone to Rogers to get a nano sim or apple store? Will they charge me for it and will it affect my plan in any form or shape? one of the reasons I bought my iPhone6 was to keep the same old plan.

Thank You

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Nazy_S

As explained in the other thread. You only need to pay to buy the sim card which is $9.99+ tax. Then you call or have the Rogers rep at tre store activate the nano card on ur account . They won't change your plan and won't charge u for they activitation

kissadamvikt
I've Been Around

Hello!

I have a big problem. I bought an iPhone 4 GSM with Rogers carrier and i can not use it in Europe. I am not a Rogers client and i am not to able to unlocking. Someone can help me? I need a person who has Rogers account, and able to unlocking. I pay all cost.

Thanks!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello kissadamvikt

Unfortunately there isn't anyone on here that will do that for you. You will need to go to your local cellphone shop and ask them how much it's to unlock it or try a unlocking site and see.

hschanna
I've Been Around

Why should I pay ROGERS $50 for unlocking my phone when my three year contract has expired and i have paid all the balance on my account in full. Doesn't this mean that i have paid for my phone in full and i own my phone now?
Or Still my phone is ROGER's property ?
Or Am i missing something here ?
I was hoping to give my phone to my nephew who is using FIDO (which is a sister company of ROGERS), but customer services told me that i will have to pay for it.
Some explanation will be really helpful for a person like me who does not read the fine print contract in detail.
Thank You

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello hschanna

When you sign a contract. The device is in Rogers hands until u are done ur contract. Although it does not mean u fully own the device just because u are done the contract but it should be like that as indeed u do own it as u have finished ur contract. This rule was set by the CRTC. Yes you must pay $50 to have your device unlocked no matter even if u have finished your contract. You will have to pay someone else to unlock your device so why shouldn't u pay Rogers then? Makes sense?...

A friend of mine gave me her old iphone 4 when she upgraded. The contract for this phone was over and it was fully paid for.  I have a plan on another carrier and wanted to give this phone to my husband, who just lost his job (the blackberry went with it) and needed a good cell phone, but didn't want to get on an expensive plan.  We were told that it would cost $50 for me to unlock the phone with Rogers.

I got the phone, a sim card for the new carrier and proceeded to unlock the phone.

I went to a rogers store.  They said I had to do it over the phone.  I asked them what hours they operated, they said 24/7.

I called rogers.  They said the department that deals with that closed 3 hours ago.  They also said that I would have to get my friend to call them and have it unlocked by the original contract holder.  I asked my friend if she could do that and I would pay her back. 

She tried, but because the contract was over past 90 days, I would have to go online and get another website to do it for $100.

This is crazy.

I went online and found a site that claimed they would do it for $20.  Their website was a bit sketchy as was their English grammar, not to mention all the processes one would need to unlock a phone. Needless to say, I am in the process of requesting a refund.

I'm sure all that extra software bunged everything up, so I reset the phone.

I can't even do that now because the sim card I do have is not Rogers!

Extremely frustrated and exasperated!!!!

My kind-hearted friend thought she was doing me a favor and feels bad.  It's not her fault.  This phone was a gift. Will somebody please unlock it!!!!?????

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello User351

Unfortunately no one on here can unlock this device for u. The only person that can is the original owner OR if you get a family member to add the device on their account ( IMEI number) & wait for 90 days to unlock it

It seems weird that the carrier would not be able to unlock it even if it was 90 days past her cancellation but i guess this is a new rule they made.