cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking iPhone Thread

mysticode
I've Been Around

Hi,

We'll be travelling to the Philippines for a few weeks shortly and I was wondering whether it is possible to get my iPhone 4 unlocked so that I can use it there with a local carrier?

Thanks

***edited labels***

499 REPLIES 499

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@fmalik87 if you are the original purchaser of the phone and your contract has elapsed then you can call rogers and have them unlock it.

If you are not the original owner or you have not finished your contract you are out of luck with rogers but you can always try jailbreaking or there are some services online that you can pay to have your phone unlocked.

So Rogers locked it to keep us with them and now we have to pay for this

@ Chris. suppose if other person gifted iphone to friend. after gifted who is the owner. if he has iphone BOX , Iphone each & every thing so he is the owner of the iphone.

this is my point of view. if you agree so like...

for example : in future i will gift any thing so offcouse you are owner...

i am waiting for your response....

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@fmalik87 I agree you are the new owner but Rogers needs the person who's account the phone was purchased on so they can see if the subsidies have been paid back. Carriers pay around I think $450 to apple for the iPhone and then sign the users up on a contract at a certain $ amount in order to re-coup that $450. Then they expect that $450 to be paid back over 3 yrs (in the case of rogers). They don't care what happens to the phone next as long as the original owner is still paying their contract. This is why they need the original owner to call in to get it unlocked as they verify if the $450 has been paid off yet or not.

SUJSHAH
I've Been Around

i have I phone 4g. i wnn unlock it. how i unlock it?  

gkrivdyuk
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers always needs money, you money.  

Look around. In other countries you can by a phone with 3 deferent providers together and switch them how do you want.

There is no future for company as Rogers with all this locking, charging and “service”

I just can't beleive this.

They're now offering iPhone 4S for 0$ on a 3 year contract and yet they want me to pay 350$ or so after 2 years contract done (on 3 year plan)  for unlocking iPhone 4 (even through I have bought iPhone 4S earlier this year). 

This is ridiculous and they don't care about customers at all.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pashoni
They (and most companies) charge $50 to unlock (I won't go I to the rights and wrongs of them doing this)

To unlock the phone, the contract or hardware subsidy on it, must be fully paid off, that is likely where the rest of the 300 is potentially coming from.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

SO Rogers is changing their policy for unlocking the device. The same old policy is still in affect BUT you are able to unlock the device 90 days AFTER activating the device on the Rogers network.

Source: http://redboard.rogers.com/2013/how-to-unlock-your-phone-with-rogers/

Do you know how this would affect the users who gave away their cell phones?

To be more specific, here is the thing: I bought my phone at Rogers, and after purchasing new phone I gave away the first one as a gift. The person who owns that phone now is living outside Canada.

Is it posible for me to unlock that phone without actualy bringing the phone to Rogers and only paying the 50$+ amount?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello pashoni

You need the phone with you & the phone being on your account active. IMEI must be on a Rogers account in order for the unlocking to happen.

Currently the phone is out of the country and IMEI is on a Rogers account. 

Does that mean that this unlocking process could not be done remotely?

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@pashoni just having the imei is probably enough. You should call rogers and try to unlock it. I mean they aren't at your house to see you have the actual phone in your hand.. (Now the phone being out of the country seems pretty useless Thats the part I don't understand..)

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Exactly what Chris said.

The IMEI just needs to be on the account. Call Rogers to confirm tho because sometimes the reps make it more difficult to do this!.

pashoni
I'm Here A Lot

Phone is out of the country because I have gave it to my cousin as a gift. At the time being, we didn't knew that the baseband 04.11.08 isn't unlockable, so he got stuck with an ipod touch instead of the iphone.

I saw that Rogers unlocking policy starts from March, and I will use that opportunity to unlock phone for my cousin, so he can have fully functional iphone.

Thank you for your responses

Re: Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Does anyone know when will new Rogers unlocking policy start?
I have red that it will be active in March, but is there a specific date?

If the phone *was* on the account and the phone since upgraded can the previous phone be unlocked?  

i.e. Had an iPhone 4 on an account, upgraded to iPhone 5 and signed new contract.  Old iPhone 4 is therefore no longer restricted.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I beleive so. They still should have record of that imei number, and that you were the first owner.

Hi all,

I want to unlock my Iphone 5 that I bought from Rogers.

Can anyone guide me that what is the procedure to unlock it and what are the fees...???

Thanks in advance.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rameezajmeri

Here is more info straight from Rogers

http://redboard.rogers.com/2013/how-to-unlock-your-phone-with-rogers/

Rem1x
I've Been Around

Good day. Help please. I bought the iPhone 4 on ebay.com. But it is worth referencing the Canadian operator Rogers. How can I be? Seller is not responsible. Nor any data on the phone I do not know except number. Thanks.

PS. I'm from Russia