Unlocking iPhone Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Derp.. thanks chris 🙂  yeah, that was a typo.

KidTechnology
I've Been Around

I just recently got an iphone 4s from my uncle as a gift a week ago, When i got it, it was already activated to rogers as a shared data plan with maybe 3 other relatives. I am wondering if rogers can unlock my iphone i plan to get my own plan i dont want to be stuck with a shared plan thats under my uncles name.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@KidTechnology if you plan to stay with Rogers you don't need to unlock the phone.

Tins23
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, I'm wondering if I port my number from Rogers to another carrier will I still be able to call Rogers to unlock my Iphone 4 that I have with them? I'm thinking of going with the 5 with another carrier.

Thanks

MikaShot
I've Been Around

Hi everyone. I lived for two years in Canada, but i back to Brasil in 2012. I tried to use my iphone here but he is blocked. How can i unblock it? Thanks.

****Edited Labels****

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you own the phone fully, Rogers can unlock it, but I think you have to be here to do it.

You may be best at looking at 3rd Party unlock sight.

kgrosvold
I Plan to Stick Around

Well another month, another experience with Rogers that has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Fast forward to this week.  I decided to upgrade my iphone 4 to the Samsung Galaxy S3 (let's leave the "why did you do that" for another time, lol).  I was 1 month away from the second year of my 3 year contract with Rogers.

Now, at this point I was very pleasantly surprised as I could by a new phone (albeit on another 3 year term which didn't concern me) at no cost to upgrade early.  I knew that my iphone 4 would still fetch a decent return by selling it, so it was a satisfying situation at this point.

I decided to move ahead with the changes. 

Here's where it gets "stinky."  I went to a Rogers kiosk for the upgrade and I was told that I would have to pay a $35 administration fee for the change.  Now, if the item was shipped to me I understand handling, packaging and what not, but the retailer literally removed the sim card from my iphone and inserted it into the S3.  And this costs $35?  I could have done that myself.  This is a gouge.

Then I found a buyer for my iphone 4.  I called Rogers to unlock the phone as the buyer was not with Rogers and they explained that I would be charged $50 for this "service."  The first person that I talked to explained that I had to own the phone for at least 6 months and my account be in good standing.  However, the next person explained the %50 charge.

I was incredulous!  I owned that phoned, it is my perogative to sell it.  No one will ever know the exact costs to Rogers of the phones that they sell.  Being on a contract, I have paid for the subsidized amount of the phone through my monthly (exhorbatant) rates, locked to at least 3 year terms.  The person told me that Apple charges for these fees and there is nothing that they can do. If this is indeed true, then this might have been the last Apple wireless product that I own.

Then, after I begrudgingly tell them to go ahead, I'm asked for the IMDE (or whatever) number on my phone and I hear the person hitting a couple of keystrokes for literally 5 seconds and then I'm told to connect to itunes, hit restore, and that would complete the unlock.  I'm doing the majority of the work and getting charged $50.

I understand that I was able to upgrade early for "free" but in essence, I really paid $85 to upgrade my phone (admin. and unlock fees).  I think it is crooked, and it really tempts me to remove another service that I have and go elsewhere.  I had 4 services with Rogers at one point, I think it will just be 1 (wireless), for at least the next 3 years.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Anyone switching phones, even I they owned the old one, and went to the new one would be charged the admin fee. That's standard and very company does it. (My uncle was a small tells dealer, and he had to as well)

Anywhere you go to get a phone unlocked, either Rogers or 3rd part will charge you. Again, any provider will do the same. If you want to avoid this, buy and unlocked phone from the start at full price.

abby
I Plan to Stick Around

@kgrosvold wrote:

Here's where it gets "stinky."  I went to a Rogers kiosk for the upgrade and I was told that I would have to pay a $35 administration fee for the change.  Now, if the item was shipped to me I understand handling, packaging and what not, but the retailer literally removed the sim card from my iphone and inserted it into the S3.  And this costs $35?  I could have done that myself.  This is a gouge.

Then I found a buyer for my iphone 4.  I called Rogers to unlock the phone as the buyer was not with Rogers and they explained that I would be charged $50 for this "service."  The first person that I talked to explained that I had to own the phone for at least 6 months and my account be in good standing.  However, the next person explained the %50 charge.

I was incredulous!  I owned that phoned, it is my perogative to sell it.  No one will ever know the exact costs to Rogers of the phones that they sell.  Being on a contract, I have paid for the subsidized amount of the phone through my monthly (exhorbatant) rates, locked to at least 3 year terms.  The person told me that Apple charges for these fees and there is nothing that they can do. If this is indeed true, then this might have been the last Apple wireless product that I own.

Then, after I begrudgingly tell them to go ahead, I'm asked for the IMDE (or whatever) number on my phone and I hear the person hitting a couple of keystrokes for literally 5 seconds and then I'm told to connect to itunes, hit restore, and that would complete the unlock.  I'm doing the majority of the work and getting charged $50.

I understand that I was able to upgrade early for "free" but in essence, I really paid $85 to upgrade my phone (admin. and unlock fees).  I think it is crooked, and it really tempts me to remove another service that I have and go elsewhere.  I had 4 services with Rogers at one point, I think it will just be 1 (wireless), for at least the next 3 years.

This is known fact and STORE would had to explain to you about the $35 admin fee.  Everyone pays it.

As for unlocking, what did you honestly though it required.  And to be truthful, its alot of backend by APPLE who charges ROGERS a FEE to unlock and access to there system.  The $50 fee is normal and cheap for iphone, 3rd party unlockers charge $130 for iphone, as its all apple server side and not like blackberrries etc for unlocking. 

Again they woudl had told you on phone it cost $50, you said yes and decided to unlock.

So in essence no hidden prices, as you coudl had denied upgrade and unlock and pay nothing and stuck with same phone.

Police
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello,

1 year later, my iPhone 4 is still locking to Rogers, my iPhone is bought in cash for $600 from a store, and no any conditions and no accounts! Rogers, tell me please how long I must wait until unlocking my iPhone?