Unlocking Deactivated iPhone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Unlocking Deactivated iPhone

Hello, 

I recently tried to unlock my old iPhone that has not been activated from 12 months for my parents to use.  Rogers said because it was not active within the last 90 days that I had to pay to reactivate it, pay for 90 days of service, then pay $50 to unlock it.  Does anyone know if I can just take the phone to another provider to unlock it?  Seems like they're holding the phone hostage. Thanks, 

Darls

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Unlocking Deactivated iPhone

Hello Darls

That is correct. Even with the new CRTC rule which applied ONLY if you buy a phone after December 2nd 2013, if you owned the iPhone & the service or phone has not been active on the account, you need to reactivate it on a line & wait for 90 days. ( if you paid the phone with a contract). You will need to call Rogers & have them add the IMEI on the account to do so.

If you bought the phone outright at that time, then you need to tell Rogers that & have them unlock it immediately.

If the phone is locked to Rogers, ONLY Rogers or a third party cellphone store can unlock it. Another provider will NOT unlock it for you as its not their phone.

In the end, you can call in & ask for a manager & fight for it. See if they can allow it. The problem is that the IMEI number of the phone MUST be on a Rogers wireless account to do it.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the advice meowmix. 

If I take it to a third party place, do I still have to reactivate it?  I'm fine with paying $50 but didn't like the whole ractivation piece.  

And are the third party places linked to Rogers in any way? 

Thanks, 

Darls

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Darls

A third party place i mean a cellphone store OR a online unlocking site which unlocks phones. The price varies with different stores / sites. Also no you do not need to activate anything.

No they are not. They are places which customers unlock their devices. The third party places / sites are no way connected to any carrier unless its a carrier site / store.