Unlocked phone edge speed SLOW ! Rogers limiting Edge on unlocked phones?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Unlocked phone edge speed SLOW ! Rogers limiting Edge on unlocked phones?

So have a Samsung Galaxy s3 mini,  have the apn set correctly and am able to use everything.    Problem is the EDGE speed varries from   30kbps -190 kbps.  If I use the simcard in  my old test Samsung Galaxys it gets speeds in the 1000kbps range.

The phone gets speeds in the 8000kbps range when  it is using HSdpa but it rarely seleselects that mode.

Any ideas why this is happening?

****Edited Labels****

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Unlocked phone edge speed SLOW ! Rogers limiting Edge on unlocked phones?

Hello rogerswpg

Rogers isn't limiting the EDGE network. EDGE is the slowest data network on Rogers. It verys on which location you are in and it varies on the phone you have. Also remember, some phones still use EDGE live.
I've Been Here Awhile

This doesnt explain why from the same location the old Galaxy s  from rogers gets 1000mbps  and the new unlocked s3mini gets 100mbps . 

?

Why would a newer phone get slower speeds on edge ? 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rogerswpg

Every single phone is different. Take a look at the iPhone 4 and 4S for instanse. Botth devices run on the same network BUT one is slower then the other one. It depends on where the anntena is and where the location you are in. It could be many things to do with it. I doubt Rogers sits there and slows down new phones...