Unknown Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Unknown Data Usage

I just got rogers

1. Home Phone Essentials

2. High Speed Internet Cable 80GB with DPC3825

3. Digital VIP. One netbox 3.0 receiver and one "analog" receiver

A couple of notes.

a. I have phone through other service (Comwave). I dont use rogers home phone, even though the box is connected

b. I set Rogers Cisco Router to bridge mode and use my own ASUS RT-N56U router 

c. The analog receiver is sitting in a corner disconnected. My kids do watch TV using digital receiver.

I was comparing my data usage between my router traffic monitoring and Rogers. In most cases it matches well (say within 15%). In other cases a bit further. But what concerns me is a couple of "unexplainable/out of whack"

For instance, my router shows for a day 0.3GB upload (typical) while Rogers show 5.58GB. I really can not understand what would I be doing that would upload that much data (pretty sure this was a typical day)

i. Any thougths? 

ii. Would Netbox or digital VIP or anything TV related use any internet data that may not be captured by my router?

iii. Same for home phone - although I would just turn this off later today

Thanks for your assistance. I understand it would be difficult to match exactly router vs. rogers but 18x has to be explained.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Unknown Data Usage

Home phone and TV should use up NO usage at all.
While they come in on the same lines.. they are run on different freqencies, different back end networks, and dont directly communicate with each other.

Even with using a voip phone, high quality or video calling on it.. shouldnt be any usage that high..

That is one question i guess.. HOW is your config set up?
WHere is the Comwave box pluged in... is it into the DPC3825 (along side the ASUS router) or pluged into the ASUS?

I've Been Here Awhile

DPC3825 modem is in bridge mode, wifi off and it is only connected to ASUS Router. All networked equipment is connected through ASUS. I would doubt ASUS but for the life of me can not comprehend what could be going on that would cause 5.58GB upload. ASUS shows what I would expect and is typical from other days.

I'm Here A Lot

Why has this question NOT been answered by a Rogers employee yet? This is very serious as it is THEFT if it can't be explained by Rogers. Rogers bought Shaw cable in Hamilton a few month ago and since they have taken over I have seen the "You are 75% to your data cap of 200 gig" almost every month. My Asus router tells me that I have NEVER been close to the cap. This month they say I have used 165 gig while my router says 73. While talking with a supervisor he first says to me how does he know that is what my router says (calling me a liar) then proceeds to tell me only Rogers data counters matter and my data counter is "irrelevant". When there's that much of a discrepancy? That's not very professional! Then he tells me that sometime encrypted packets can get through without being counted! Say what? Even if that was possible there's no way 90 gigs of encrypted packets have gone through! I am right on the verge of switching to another internet supplier as it seems that Rogers not only doesn't care what their customers (or customer's equipment), they seem to send me these notices on the 28th of every month which tells me they just want all their customers to "upgrade" their internet and pay more!

Rogers is most definitely stealing from their customers!

I'm a Regular

i have seen one too many people complaining about this here and one too many that are not being handled appropriately by Rogers... everyone on this forum that is experiencing spikes and unknown usage should file a complaint with the CRTC and the CCTS... this is Rogers responibility to deal with it appropriately when it happens and to prevent it from happening

here are the links:

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/rapidsccm/Default-Defaut.aspx?lang=e 

I would, however i have not experienced higher usage beyond what my CGN3 says nor have i experienced any unusual spikes (yet)

i did Share a Concern (with Rogers) recently about their policy and that they needed to change it... received a call from the management office and they said they would do something about it, but so far it doesn't look like its being taken seriously

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for your help, sir.  I certainly will file a complaint with them! Is there some sort of hardware data counter that I can purchase to put in front of the modem? This I would love, just to prove that they ARE stealing from their customers!

I'm a Regular

the best thing is to get the usage readings out of the Rogers modem if you can... i'm not sure if you can reach the Status page when it is in bridge mode... you may have to cable into it with a laptop or have tech support try to read it... they may be able to get into the modem using their screens... just give them a call and go easy on them... they are just front line staff, not the useless, inept management running things

if you power off the Rogers modem, you will lose your latest readings... you'll need the up time and the WAN received and sent numbers as well as the LAN received and sent numbers

I'm Here A Lot

Oh I compared with them day by day on the last call and some days I record 12 gig out and 2 gig in and they have 15 gig out and 2 MEG in... Like, what?! Every day I compared with them are different than what my router says.

Looks like this has been happening for a LOOOOONG while though!

http://trueler.com/2012/01/29/rogers-internet-overage-charges-scam-beware/

I'm a Regular

if you are bridged, you can't necessarily rely on your ASUS... there could be something else at work... you really need the readings from your Rogers modem

I'm Here A Lot

Before Rogers bought the cable company I am with now I NEVER had any overages or even got anywhere close to the cap even the one month I tried to get to my cap and I have not changed any surfing/downloading habits. If Rogers doesn't do something about this I'm going to switch to Bell. Maybe not a whole lot better but I've NEVER heard of people having these overage problems with them! I am also a computer tech so I'm quite aware that any data that goes through my router is what I PERSONALLY am using at my house. Any other data means something is fishy with Rogers or their modem. I already exchanged my modem the month after Rogers bought my cable company because the first month we had them I got the notice that I'm close to my cap. Again, before Rogers there was NO problem! After exchanging the modem the next month was fine. Now I'm getting these notices again every 28th of the month. Coincidence? I think not! They are basically forcing their customers to upgrade their contract/plan when they don't even need to. Read the comments on that link I posted and you will see that is exactly what non-knowing customers are doing. I know better!