cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unethical business practice and ripping off customers

ershantanu84
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

When I setup my services, I was told by the sales rep that once my bill is generated, I have to call Roger's support and they will adjust the bill to waive off installation charges. Spoke to a person who identified himself as "KD" and gave me a reference number  to quote to get my bill rectified. 

Today when I called Rogers, the customer rep informed me he has no record of such adjustment. He said they are legitimate charges and I have to pay! I believe it is highly unethical to charge a customer by going back on a commitment and misinforming as such. 

I recently moved from US to Canada and have never encountered such poor behaviour from the internet/wireless providers there. 

Has anyone here had such experience? If there any group/department in Rogers who can "extract" sales records and correct this. Or is getting ripped off a standard practice here.

Regards,

Shantanu Bansal

***Edited Labels.***

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Unethical business practice and ripping off customers

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Call in and try to escalate it to a manager.

IF there was notes with that ID number.. it should be there.

Was the setup initially set up in store? or over the phone?

jkroesen
I'm a Trusted Contributor

There is a customer relations department or Office of the president... For office of the president you would need interaction # so you will have to call in then you can request a call back via online at rogers.com for office of prez. 

The agent that is giving you interaction code will give you more details of this process

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Just to let you know you are NOT alone.

In fact I am so fed up by "unethical" practices that I am changing to Bell.

Make sure you RECORD / WRITE DOWN / GET IT IN WRITING EVERYTHING.

From my experiences, being ripped off is standard

Also they can get the bills - Ask for a manager.

Good Luck!

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

"For office of the president you would need interaction # so you will have to call in then you can request a call back via online at rogers.com for office of prez. "

Quite a few times they have refused to give me the number.

ershantanu84
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for taking time to respond to my post fellows.

I spoke to 3 different people since morning but neither of them had any record.

And yes, I was told about waiving off the charges over phone when I was buying the package. They did give me a interaction number for reference but apparently the sales person was "smart" enough not to mention that in the notes they save.

Finally, a few minutes back, another Roger's employee called me and she for once was polite and atleast mentioned that they will train their staff on this. I know, I know!

But, not all is lost. I got some credit to my account. It's nearly not enough to the financial and mental trouble but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Hang on, let me put my tin foil hat on!

You know what, the problem is large corporations! Canada has exponentially high internet rates. I can only attribute that to the monopoly Rogers and Bell have. There is another provider in North Toronto who gets rave reviews. But guess what, they don't have the infrastructure.

I used to get a 75mbps unlimited internet connection for $55 in US. Customer service was exceptional. Competition was stiff. It worked in our favour. I can only hope the proposed Comcast-Time merger falls off so that Americans for one can enjoy internet at a humane fee.

Cheers!

ershantanu84
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Y,

You think Bell is the answer?

My aunt has had Bell for almost a decade. Half my colleagues have it and they are fed up too! 

A known enemy is better than a unknown friend.Smiley Happy

I'm just a few month old here but if you've had a good credit history with Rogers, won't they atleast consider your problems.

Cheers! 

S

famouus
I've Been Here Awhile

Where did you initally go to set up your services?

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

I've had Rogers for YEARS but they seem to have gotten worse and worse (to ME at least).

I don't know how Bell is with Internet and cable...

To generalize: Bell has <almost> always treated me fairly. They do not say one thing (i.e. that they’ll waive a set-up fee and then do what they have done to the OP)...

With Rogers everything is my fault; "no one else has same problem"; they say they will escalate the problem and send a senior technician etc…They don't ....

I have spent EXTREME amounts of time with Rogers (Bell too) but if I can get the same channels and rates from Bell, I might as well try.

It ends up the same with MOST big coporations.. there are just SOO many employees, not trained properly, etc.. and the CS starts to go downhill.

Its a roll of the dice, as to if you get GOOD or BAD, with any of the companies.

Myself, i have had nothing but good people with rogers.  Am I the odd one out? maybe.

But i have had aful stuff with Bell in the past.  My cell was with them initially.  Back when you got more roaming charges even between bell towers.. from where i lived, highest point in town.. i actually ended up hitting the tower ACROSS the lake, which was a different area code, etc.. and encured ALOT of extra charges.  They asked me to call in each month to get them reversed.. till they said they wouldnt anymore. 
I asked them what the solution was.  Their answer? "you should move".... yeah. 

Its all a toss up.

But you got to go with what is best for you.

Glad you were KIND OF able to get stuff resolved,  

jkroesen

I recently had to deal with Virgin on behalf on my mother in law.  I believe they were bought out by bell...

I had the worst experience  there ever!

They didn't seem to care that she had been a client for 6 years when it came to a dispute on data and being charge in the last few months for data that she didn't even know how to use nor that she was even using it... the most in the past she was ever charged  5.00  (that was for 002MG).. she has a very old smart phone and accepted that 5.00 for sending pic msg.  which is all she does... I have check she has no apps that would be used in fact the phone is so old it wont even download most apps due to her operating sys.  She in the last 3 months had charge for data $7.50 $10.50 and this month $15.00 and that was for using up to .008Mg of data - they claim cause she didn't have a data package... there for this was the pay per use charge.  then they sd this month she is at 200MG (what will they charge for that???!!!) asked how this usage was occurring and they sd they couldn't tell me just that the phone will use data with out knowing it... that she will have to turn data off... told them she like to get the pics so we don't want to do that... was there another option... at that point was told charges were legit.. saying its that no matter what kinda of phone it is it will use "phantom data"  I have never heard of phantom data before and i have work for 2 different cell phone companies for the last 10 years... Knowing i wasn't getting anywhere - no matter how nice i was (i refuse to be nasty) I gave up and went on to my next mission....

adv the cx serv agent to connect me to retention as i wanted to also talk about upgrade and changing her plan...

I thought i was calling Retention/Loyalty  with a great offer that would of benefit both her and Virgin... *Keep in mind she is not on contract*  Change her plan to one with data which means a min of 20.00 - 30.00 more for them per month.. in the hopes she could get a little better deal on a older iphone 4s or 5...and a 2 year contract would be accepted...  They would not Budge...

I even sw with there retention team and they were NOT helpful either they offered her no more then 5.00 off per month.. sayin this was a fantastic offer...

I told the AGENT you know what a fantastic offer is the ONE ROGERS gave to ME for my Partners account.  I was able to get a great deal on the iphone 5s (they just had to ship it) also got discount off my plan for the year... and a bit extra with my Flex tab as i need the phone well i was on contract...

The retention agent ended the call telling me that maybe i should have her go to ROGERS then.. I was shocked! I was very nice with both agents (working in call centers myself i give that respect to other agents) this guy left a bad taste in my mouth.. i could understand maybe if i was being nasty... but never ever have i ever dealt with a company so set in there ways... no room to negotiate...

So id though i'd say my story as it's doesn't matter what company it is every company has issues with Poor Agents... I just find My experinces with Rogers is better then others i have delt with.....

The Virgin agents response.. then go to Rogers if they are better..... Needless to say she is in the process of canceling with them... and I know my self now not to deal with BELL or Virgin. 

This was just my experience with them but i thought id share..

I myself am very happy with Rogers and what they have done for me my family and my friends... Not saying everyone i know is happy but on the most part they are...

jays77
Not sure what service you set up, TV or Internet.

Anyway when we set up our HD-PVR and the set up fee appeared on our bill we called in to the billing department and asked why the fee was there. Told them we had set it up our self. there was no hassle they just credited the $50.00 on the nest bill.

When you call in make sure you select the right department from the menu offered. In this case it would likely be "If you have a question regarding billing."
Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation