Understanding Internet Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Understanding Internet Data Usage

According to Rogers:

Each of these activities represents just one gigabyte of usage:

View 3,500 Web pages OR
 Receive up to 500 digital photos OR
 Download more than 200 songs

What about 20 GB?

Watch over 70 hours of SD streaming video online OR
 Watch 18 hours of HD streaming video online OR
 Download 10 HD videos

So how much data would be used if you, for instance watched 6 or 7 30min HD videos, read your email, surfed a dozen webpages and downloaded two songs on iTunes?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Understanding Internet Data Usage

The HD videos.. all depends (varrys from source to source).. but usually can be .8g - 1.5g  per hour.

So for 6-7 30 min videos.. i would say..  3+gb?

Downloaded a few songs should only be less than 15mb.

email, surfing, etc.. i average around 400mb daily. (all depends on the webpages.. ones with ALOT of rotating adds, etc.. can use up more, etc.  Leaving a webpage open on a PC with many rotating adds.. will use up usage the whole day that page is left open, etc.

I'm an Enthusiast

So nowhere near 19G then or 13G or even 6G. Over the past few weeks on an average day we used 2-3G because that's the kind of use we get. A really busy day at our house is 4 to 6G max. My kids look at Youtube videos of 3-4 mins duration. No torrents or Netflix or downloading 300 songs or pictures. There is no way we used 13G in one day, let alone 19G! But Rogers insists we did. I was planning to upgrade our bundle before this happened. Now I'll be downgrading if anything.

...I'm not a Rogers employee. I may not be a customer much longer.Smiley Very Happy

I'm an Enthusiast

I sent a note to the Office of the President. Got a reply from Prince Faisal at Rogers informing me that they had tried phoning me but I couldn't be reached. So I called the number the Prince provided and got his voice mail. Tried again later and was told his voice mail box is full. Oh well.

I think I saw this in an episode of Seinfeld.Smiley Very Happy