Unacceptable Customer Service from Tech Support - Unlocking policy issues needs to be resolved

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Unacceptable Customer Service from Tech Support - Unlocking policy issues needs to be resolved

Just got hung up on by Rogers tech support. Thanks Victoria.

Forget for a moment that I am a bread and butter long time Rogers customer, spending $200 last month alone on services including this Internet connection.

I called in to request an unlock code for a Rogers Blackberry, which I'm sure is now mandated by the CRTC. But my Blackberry service is with Fido, owned by Rogers by the way.

After many long waits, a request for the phone's IMEI number, and supposedly discussing my case with two superiors, I was informed that Rogers does not give out the unlock code if I don't have wireless service with them. 

When pushed on the issue, including bringing up the CRTC compliance issue and my status as an existing customer, she told me that her superiors suggested I purchase an unlock code on the Internet. Now that's the first case I know of where Rogers is supporting this grey market economy. 

As Victoria couldn't tell me why they wouldn't comply,  I asked to speak to her superior. I was informed that managers work between 9 and 5. I asked to speak with one of the two superiors she told me she consulted with just moments ago, the same ones who told her she couldn't give me the information. She agreed, put me on hold, and I was disconnected a few minutes later.

I'd like an explanation. An apology. And an unlock code. Otherwise there's little reason for me to remain a Rogers customer.

Also, isn't it required that call centre reps give out some sort of uniquely identifying staff number or similar when asked? How else can you really handle individual accountability. 

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Unacceptable Customer Service from Tech Support - Unlocking policy issues needs to be resolved

I do not get what you are saying. You say its a blackberry from Rogers yet you are saying " But my Blackberry service is with Fido, owned by Rogers by the way." Does that mean your phone is from Fido or Rogers.. Yes Rogers does own Fido but that does not mean they are going to unlock Fido phones if you call Rogers..   Why not call Fido & ask them to unlock it if its serviced from them? Rogers does not unlock other phone from other companies. Even if you are a wireless costumer with them they will not give you a unlock code because there are rules. The ONLY way to get a device unlocked from Rogers is if A. You bought the phone unlocked from Rogers. B. You got the phone from Rogers & near the end of your term & C. If you are leaving for another country ( C is the worse one because they might need some proof. This is what i have heard / read). Those are the rules from CRTC & Rogers. I have asked the CRTC & those are the Rules for Bell / Telus / Fido / Rogers / Virgin.

As for them hanging up they always do this. I just call back & speak to them again. I know its hard but i would do it. The reps are not allowed to give their ID out incase someone does something.

I would suggest like everyone would. Just buy a unlock code from Ebay for $5 or so. I have bought unlock codes for my Blackberries & other phones for less the $10 on ebay.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Unacceptable Customer Service from Tech Support - Unlocking policy issues needs to be resolved

dude if u have a rogers unlocked blackberry but your paying fido, you have no  case.  your making a stink for nothing.  move on now.  no need to dig yourself in a deeper hole

I've Been Here Awhile

I guess one point does need clarification. This is a new phone for me. A used phone that belonged to a Rogers customer that I need unlocked to use my Fido SIM card. Fido can't unlock the phone, only Rogers can.

Rogers said they would have given me the code if I was a wireless customer with them. The 'rules' you mention, thank you by the way, don't address many common issues like the original owner of the blackberry upgrading their phone near or at end of their contract and giving (or selling) their old phone to a friend or co-worker. The original owner won't spent 30+ minutes on the phone with Rogers to get it unlocked, they've already got a new blackberry.

I don't get how one can dismiss the hang-up behaviour. It will persist as long as there is no individual accountability. It took me over 30 minutes to be hung up on! Just call back? That's a lot of time we're talking about. It's part of a systemic problem with customer service from many service providers.

I have no intention of ranting. I believe I'm in a legitimate position to receive the unlock code from Rogers. The treatment I've received from them makes me reconsider the all three other services for which I pay them.

Is this forum moderated or reviewed by a Rogers representative?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Rogers is not intittled to give you the unlock code.  You are with Fido and not with Rogers. Just because its a Rogers phone does not mean you should get it unlocked from Rogers. Yes you need to be a current Rogers costumer in order to get it unlocked plus its $50 from Roger to unlock it for u. So its easier to unlock it for 5 on ebay... Yes Rogers mods do read the forums but can not help you more thenn us. Your friend should. Have unlocked it for u. Just pay $5 and unlock it. Fighting with Rogers will no get u anywhere. Rules are rules for eeveryone. even if you call the crtc or the head office of Rogers they will not unlock it seeing as u are with Fido. yes Rogers owns Fido but again does not mean they are going to unlock it for u.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know it can be frustrating, but the best thing to do is this:  if you are buying a second hand phone, you as a buyer have the right to ask if its unlocked already or not, if its not unlocked, you can refuse to buy it and give your money to someone else, hopefully that will make the seller aware his phone will be more valuable if he would have unlocked it, or you can indeed simply buy it and take it to the fli markets and pay someone like $5 to unlock it.

its totally up to you, but for me, if im going to buy a locked phone, im going to go elsewhere to unlock it like the flie markets or something.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you again for taking the time to post.

Of course I can get it unlocked for $10 by some kid online or at a flea market.

That's not really the point. The CRTC implemented new rules after huge customer backlash at the cell providers. Rogers behaviour and any $50 fee that could be imposed is not within the spirit of the requirement, and is nothing more than an additional cash grab.

Rogers is supporting this grey market. They do so because right now it doesn't really bother them nor does it affect their bottom line.

The same used to be said about grey market SatTV in Canada.

People won't complain too much because there is a $10 alternative. If that disappeared tomorrow, it would be different.

What if I start selling a $20 hack to download onto a USB key, reboot your Rogers HD box with it attached and voila, opens up all the channels you otherwise had to pay for.

You can't condone one grey market service and then come out against another one.

It does not excuse how I was treated, but I'm done harping. Bigger picture is this can't be the status quo.

You offer good support and your time to fellow customers and that's commendable. But it appears to me that you may also be towing the party line.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do see your point, but i also see the point of the rogers business model.

Rogers offers to unlock rogers phones for its rogers customers. you are not a rogers customer, so asking them to do something which is not part of their business model is kind of asking for too much, yes rogers owns fido, but that does not change their business models.

i see this waaaaay too often people assume that since the parent company owns another, they can bend the rules, unfortunately, if you look at different companies, they do not do this. you can not return a computer u bought at futureshop  at a best buy store.  etc.

u bought a non-fido phone, so fido wont unlock it, that is their business model, everyone can agree. i think u need to realize this is not going to change, just accept it and pay a fli market to unlock  your phone

I'm Here A Lot

"She agreed, put me on hold, and I was disconnected a few minutes later."

I am not surprised at all.  This rep didn't want to talk to you so it's the trick to get rid of you.

Terrible customer service.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

The thing is that most phone calls to Rogers always either get disconnected or dropped. Many have reported this & i for one have had this done to me MANY times. At one point i recorded the convo in which the line got cut & when i spoke to a Manager, they told me sometimes the lines get cut off because of the system & not the reps.

Its not a trick anyways. If anything, the customer could always call back & make a complain about the previous rep they spoke to which this happen. A Manager can file a complain & see what happened.

Every carrier has bad customer service no matter what..