Unable to Authorize a Scientific Atlanta Explorer E940 - What gives?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Unable to Authorize a Scientific Atlanta Explorer E940 - What gives?

Got the E940 and tried to add this box to my account with customer service. I ended up waiting on the phone for a few minutes while they looked into their systems for the box existence.

It did exist on the system as the tech just told me the other owner actually owned it and I should be able to add it on my account with no problems.

Customer service came back on the phone after serveral minutes to let me know the box doesn't exist on Roger's system because it is an old system and I couldn't add it to my line. 

The previous owner still lives in Ottawa and was a rogers customer with this box.

Scientific Atlanta Explorer E940

Model: Explorer E940

Assembly P/N 4014749

Rev: 1.3

Date Manufactured: 08/26/2008

I did plug it in and turned it on to see if it works and it does.

Does this mean all the E940 can't be hooked up. What happens to the ones on Kijiji and other owners?

OR

Does rogers don't want me to hook this box up because I'll notice it is better then the NextBox's?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Unable to Authorize a Scientific Atlanta Explorer E940 - What gives?

Not sure what the rep was talking about..

That is a STANDARD DEFINITION box.. and still does work on the system.. they are still advertising it on the website.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=cable_hardware_page

(So no, it wont be better than the nextbox... as its not a PVR and not an HD box... but it will work)

So yes, they should be able to add it.

Now.. the only thing that would prevent you from having it added... was if the previous user.. never REMOVED it from their account.. that S/N would still be tied with their account.

I've Been Here Awhile

I recently had the same experience. I had bought a used E940 and upon installation Rogers couldn't find it on there database. Turns out the box was the property of Rogers and I had bought it hot. This wasn't my first experience buying a used cable box. I asked for the serial number of the unit prior to purchasing it and called Rogers to see if it was their property or a privately owned unit. It came back a a good privately owned unit. My mistake was not checking the serial number after picking it up to see if it was the same one given to me over the phone. They must have given me a different number. Oh well, I only paid $20. Lessons learned.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, there is alot to watch out for, when buying used.

Often many times when people close their account, they beleive that THEY own the box.. when they are renting it... and just keep it.... well thats means it stolen from Rogers.. and may not be allowed.

One big thing, as well as checking that the S/N is valid (does exist).

One thing that can prevent you from adding it, is if it is STILL attached to the other persons account.
If its still attached there.. valid or not.. will not allow you to add it to yours.  The other user must REMOVE it first.