USB tethering not working on new laptop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

USB tethering not working on new laptop

I recently got a new laptop (well new to me) at work and was out of the office and needed to tether. I wanted to save my iPhone battery so at first I plugged the iPhone into the laptop via USB and turned on tethering, but the iPhone network device never appeared on the laptop and it wasn't able to access data. After futzing around for a few minutes I decided to just tether via personal hotpot, but the failure over USB was puzzling. I've done it before on my older PC in my office without a problem. Just plug it in and it connects.

Any ideas? What am I missing.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: USB tethering not working on new laptop

Is iTunes installed on the laptop? I just ask because maybe it installes the drivers needed.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Additional info:

iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3

Windows 7 laptop

Laptop is newly imaged and in an almost virginal state with very little third party software installed yet, so it shouldn't be a conflict with anything.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Is iTunes installed on the laptop? I just ask because maybe it installes the drivers needed.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

iTunes was not installed, since I don't manage my iPhone on that laptop. Installed it now and USB tethering works perfectly. Thanks again Chris.