US roaming data charges/

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

US roaming data charges/

I just received my bill and noticed that my husband's phone had been charged almost 50.00 for roaming charges. I phoned Rogers to inquire about this. A complaint was logged as my husband does not text and does not travel. There are 50 calls on his bill. I did not receive a call back so I phoned back and got the most unhelpful Rogers employee who gave me information that was incorrect and just plain rude. First off he did not tell me that the complain would take a bit to look into and did not even see my inquriy from the day before. Secondly I asked him just what roaming charges were. His reply was they are international charges made to another country. My reply was we do not make calls to other countries. He also failed to tell me that these charges are have to be made when you are travelling outside of Canada. Well my husband has not been outside of Canada in over 20 years. He then proceeded to tell me then someone else is using his phone.  I told him that was not possible because he is the only one that has access to his phone.  He then said well these are legitimate charges and that somone else must have used his phone. Number one who does this respresentative think he is saying that. My husband does not text period, used his phone for one minutes in the month of May and does not travel anywhere so for this guy to be so disrespectful I was very upset. This matter needs to be cleared up immediately. My husband's phone and my phone should not have texting charges on them because we do not text and this is why we have a very basic plan. My sister has also been fighting with Rogers over this very same issue. Her husband does not text either and they do not travel outside of Canada. It is ridiculous that an employee is telling me I am using a service that we clearly are not. This is clearly a mistake and I do not to be phoning back again regarding this. Your employee took the stand of "oh too bad it's on your bill then pay it"...I will not tolerate this as a customer. I have been a very good customer for Rogers. My bill is paid on time all the time and will not pay for a service that i did not use period. How does this happen for people to be gettiing these charges they are not using??? These bogus charges have to looked into. I wonder how many other people are being charged and don't realize. 

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: US roaming data charges/

Unfortunately you will need to call back to get any escalation on this.

Call back and ask to speak to a manager.
While on that call get a ticket/transaction number as well as the manager name.

Worse case if the manager does not do anything you can use this to escalate it to the office of the president.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Do you live near a boarder by chance?  Sometimes these phones pick up other towers which causes you to incur roaming fees for instance if you live in windsor its very easy to pick up an at&t signal and you can potentially pick up these roaming fees. You may not even notice that your phone is switching networks. 

Rogers can put a roaming block on your phone if for any reason you are on a boarder.  

Another thing is did your phone say they were incomming roaming text or outgoing? If you don't have a text messaging package and you get incomming messages you will be charged fees or if someone has your phone number you could receive premium text messaging charges etc.

If your husband has never texted before thats a little fishy, to refrain from having these issues at all they can even put a text block on it.

Ask to speak to rogers managment office they will be able to look at the bill to see where these charges are coming from regardless. Normally though you have to physically send a text message to be billed for one but who knows what had happened with the network.  

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

We went to the US this past long weekend. When we got to the border I turned off the data on both phones not to incur and surprised charges. Got my bill and what do you know, was charged $7.99 each for data roaming. I looked at the usage and it's for 64KB and 197KB. I called Rogers and explained that we turned our data usage off.The rep was very rude and not very helpful. He told me the charges are legitimate becuase I agreed to use data. I asked him how did I agree when I turned it off, he told me that I agreed to the pop-up message from Rogers to use data while in the states. I am not sure what he was talking about as we didn't see any pop-ups and never agreed to use data. I tried to explain this to him and he keeps telling me that the charge should've been a lot more; I asked how so, if he could tell me exactly how much data I used and for what. He keeps saying that I sent a text msg....this is infact true but it has nothing to do with the data used in question and it was a msg sent from Canada to US on another date and not while in the US.

I explained to him that we received a text msg from Rogers saying that we are Roaming while at the border but no pop-up to accept to use data.

He keeps saying that I accepted to use data from the pop-up and then he decided to transfer me to TechSupport?. After 30 mins on hold I disconnected.

Does anyone know what he is talking about? I will be calling back to dispute the charges later today when I have more time.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

These stories are fishy.. As if you have DATA Roaming OFF. There should be no charges. Aslong you have a domestic texting plan it's free incoming texts and calls. ASLONG you don't answer. So you must of done something.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When i was in Niagra a month ago.. it jumpped to a AT&T US tower.. now i have roaming data OFF always on my phone period, so i wasnt generaly worried.
But when it did this, i guess as soon as it noticed i was on the AT&T network, it sent me a text, saying any data would be at the roaming rate, etc.  But i DID get a text warning (there is no confirmation or anything though, just a warning).
Now, if you have your preferences for rogers contacting you with texting off.. it may restrict getting these messages.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes regardless if you have DATA roaming off Rogers always sends the rates to you so you know just in case. There is no worry If you have the data off. As incoming and calls and texts are free while roaming aswell aslong u don't answer. I don't see why people are always getting charged they must leave data ON or using the phone alot.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Like I said, I turned DATA off when we got to the border. We did received a text when we entered the US saying we are roaming and after I turned the DATA OFF.

We used the phone to make one call when we got there - which I will pay. We later bought a SIM card from T-Mobile to make local calls as Rogers roaming rate is $1.45 per min. 

I occasionally used my phone via wifi while DATA was still off. 

@Hockey821, If my story is fishy, how come I didn't get charged $7.99 for each of the 5 days I was in the US?

We are frequent traveler to the US and this is the first time this has happened. We always turned the data off when we got to the border. 

I was just asking if Rogers has a new 'pop-up' system that you need to accept in order to use DATA while roaming.

It was 64 Kilobyte and 197 Kilobyte of data used according to Rogers bill.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh my bad. So you you did have Data Roaming OFF. So no data should be charged to your account what so ever. The new 7.99/50MB plan is added to every account automatically when u start using data in USA. As I said before texts and calls incoming is free. So if you did only 1 call the charges to your account should be 1.63 a minute with taxes.
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I heard this issue a few months ago from another provider. you can get roaming charges just from leaving your phone on. And what they told this person to do was remove their sim card while they're in another country and connect only to wifi.