Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@BeyondIrate Thanks for providing the information on what you heard. 3 days away, the cynic in me says, "I will believe it when I see it", but I agree, the information you were getting seems far too detailed to have just been off the top of anybodies' head.

But I can sympathize with you on the other issue raised here about trying to get a new and reasonable bundle. Given the changes that we can expect in the market between competitors, changing infrastructure, CRTC implementations, possible IPTV, a 4K PVR box, it will be a tough one to pick a reasonably priced bundle that is similiar to what you had, and if you can avoid any contract obligations, it would be wise.

Consider reporting your experiences on building a new package in the new packages thread that has been going on recently.

But back to Navigtr - If they can manage that by the end of of November, then they will be one year after the first major upgrade, and 17 months since we saw the original mess that went out to the two areas in the "gradual rollout" that died in its tracks because it was such a mess.

Hope they have it right this time.  Maybe good sign that they may have the 4K PVR nailed down, and maybe even preparation for the target of 2017 for IPTV implementation as well. Very long, frustration wait that has pushed everybody's patience way beyond what any sane human being should ever be expected to live with and that applies to the Rogers staff, up to the President's office that had the catch 22 position of trying to market a lemon, while users were screaming at the top of their longs for months - "what in the world have you done", and "are you ever going to tell us anything directly?"

Bruce

JKnott
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersMargaret

I just read your post at http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

There are some important things I didn't see in this list.

1) When a program starts recording, it should immediately be moved from the scheduled to recorded list.  There is generally little need to visit the scheduled list, unless you want to modify sheduled recordings.  The way it is now, you have to go to the scheduled list to watch a show that's started but not finished recording.  Then, if the show is finished recording when you've finished watching, you then have to switch to the recorded list to delete it.

2) Due to many shows often running past the scheduled end time, I have my PVR configured to always add 5 minutes to the end.  However, if sequential shows are recorded on the same channel, that 5 minutes are not added to the first.  Instead, if the show runs over, a small piece of the 1st show is at the beginning of the 2nd, with a few seconds missing.  This should not be happening, when the PVR is capable of recording 8 shows at the same time.  Even if all the "tuners" were busy, it shouldn't be much of a problem to have the same source feeding both the first and 2nd recordings simultaneously.  In the same theme, it should also be possible to add a minute ahead of a show to allow for those that start early.  At the moment, the minimum is 5 minutes, which is a bit much.

3) I see no mention of the poor zooming of letterbox shows.  When watching a letterbox SD show, none of the available choices properly fill the screen, with the result part of the image is cut off.  This is a simple 4:3 ratio.  Why is it so difficult to implement?  It worked well on the 8300HD.

How about being able to record manually?

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, the recoding manually process from a simple push of the record button has been very unpredictable.  Sometimes you have to go to the guide to make it happen.

No predictability at all.  We just try it, and if it doesn't work, we push the guide and do it there.

Pain, unpredictable, but like many other things, since we can get around it, we have to live with it until enough of us complain, or they decide to change it.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Further response to the post by Margaret - thanks for making it awkward by posting it where I haven't currently seen it yet - I know I will find it - thanks to @JKnott for the link.

Why akward - because I have to open two links at the same time, so I will cut and past the whole thing rather than a link, to make it easier for me.

Hello Community,

I'm back with some updates!

But first, thank you for your patience.  It has been a while since my last post.

- your welcome - therapeutically, I needed to work on patience, and you gave me the ability to do it, along with just walking away for 7 months - that is an honest thank you and a therapeutic goal with my therapist.

I'm thrilled to let you know that we will be delivering a Navigatr update to customers, with new and improved features based on YOUR feedback. Starting today and rolling out to communities over the coming weeks, Ontario customers will see an onscreen notification when the Navigatr update has been delivered to their set-top box. Customers will have the option to review the changes, or skip right to watching live TV.

"Haven't seen it yet, - has anyone seen it yet it is the 4th today - Is there a rollout schedule Margaret you have access to - there must be one somewhere. Or do we just be patient - if so, just say so and I will practice my skills again."

Like last time, I've cut/paste items from Gdkitty's list and inserted my comments below each item (in blue):

• Closed Captioning & Recordings – No proper way to enable.
    Currently there is no way to properly turn on CC on any recordings.  Under RTN, you would hit INFO then enable the CC as you would on live TV. 
    The INFO button currently brings up completely different things than on RTN, and there is NO CC options there.
    Current work around – Go into LIVE TV, then turn on CC there, then start the recording. (NOT A SOLUTION)  
    • This was fixed in an enhancement deployed over the summer.

"It is still true there is no way to access it from info, and the most recent posted solution, provided a while back by Park, from me, found by my wife is

Click guide, your viewing will go to picture box in top right corner still playing with sound, you then push go to Info, then click up two clicks (fastest way, but in many screens you can't scroll up), go into cc and be aware to read the read the prompt closely - it is not overly intuitive  - there is a post of this easier workaround , it was not fixed, just the workaround enhanced.  Can someone summarize what I am saying and include the link to the post that best describes this enhanced workaround.

Status, to access info, you have to use the workaround, it is not fixed, just a workaround, but I guess workarounds are considered as fixes to Rogers.

• Closed Captioning Accessibility
    Separate from the above mentioned issues with CC, it comes down to the accessibility of it.
    It is currently much more work to enable, compared to previous versions.
    Under the old version, just required you to press INFO, then two more clicks over to the CC button.
    Under Navigatr, it requires you to press info, then  to MORE, then to move all the way to enable CC.  At minimum 3x as many clicks (and that is by pressing UP, pressing down requires MORE presses)
    This needs to be MOVED to a more accessible location, best case on the INFO screen as before.

See comment above - not fixed, just an enhancement to an easier workaround, which users here found on our own and posted - Obviously, Rogers isn't taking the initiative to tell us when they do the upgrade, or fully understand their own enhancements, we find them then inform people, and the message that was given to Margaret is still slightly in error.  Please post the appropriate thread page as above.

• Closed Captioning & Garbled text on Recordings
    Using the above work around, in most cases are able to get CC to display on a recording.  
    Some channels on playback, the text will be garbled and/or missing.
    This does not happen on all playback done by the above method.  Some specific channels seem to show this more than others (CTC, , etc)

This was fixed for sure - thank you Rogers - this appeared to be a full fix - by the way it took an order from CRTC to get it fixed quickly, unlike the fix below.  Credit to the people who escalated to the CRTC advocating the rights of the people with disabilities under the AODA and charter of rights.

• Selection Location after action preformed
    When viewing your scheduled recordings, if you perform an edit like deleting a scheduled recording, instead of going back to your "place" in the list/tiles, you are taken back to the top of the list. This is annoying since you may wish to do more editing.

Actually I think it is fixed in some of the areas, but when dealing with ghost recordings at end of season, say you have 15 of them, like we did, and decided that we wanted to get rid of them all as the next seasons may differ, which they did, we would cancel all recordings, up to the top right it went, and then we use the down button of the +/- button on the right, to get back to the bottom, scroll right, until we finally get to the point where we are at the start of the first column, and then we only have to page down to get there, - too bad you can't page up.

So this issue is partially fixed, but not for time when you decide to remove all ghost recordings at the bottom.  Haven't tested all other ways - anyone else have other areas where it pops back up to top, say like, does the delete a show in recordings stay where it is, I believe so, what if you cancel recordings in future recordings section, not sure.

• Hide Unsubscribed Channels
    No longer a more perminant way to hide unsubscribed.  Under settings there are only options to hide specific channels.
    You are able to change the FILTER to just subscribed ones, but those filter changes do not stay.

Only holds until the next reboot, which does occur often with downloads, then you have to realize it is not set anymore - you will know in the guide if it says Subscribed at top right, will say Guide if all channels selected, Favourites if favourites, but that favourites problem is another issue - I don't know if it is fixed, stopped using it.

• LARGE request for a list view to return instead of tiles.  Or give the option for one or the other.
    Also request for a view for ALL scheduled recordings, more in one quick list view as per in RTN.
    Was easier to see date/channel, time, etc upfront.
    • With October's update, customers will have the choice to see recorded programs displayed in tiles (Poster Art) or list-view (text-only). WIth this, you'll also have the ability to delete multiple programs at once.

Be glad to see this - I will dump the tiles, and remove the above problem of jumping to the top, hope they have the lists intuitive in this new build.  I can see why this one would take quite a while - quite a bit of coding required probably.  Thanks to all who have quietly and not so quietly sometimes kept the pressure up on this one.

• For some, the font is still too small.
    • We have improved fonts and contrasts with this recent update.

Already some improvement, thank you, I was the first person to raise the font issue, back last July, when three people screamed in my household, and I made a fourth, so I started the original thread.

Will look forward to any more improvements in this area, there was still some challenges for me.  Will report on my experience once I get it.

In addition, you will notice an updated and refreshed look for Rogers on Demand and Get More TV.

Will try that when it comes - I was ok with RoD as it currently is, and I turned off get more TV long time ago, and never use the search because it is pointless - use anyplace tv to get full list of a show on all channels, rather than at the end of a long of on demand or shomi availability, then only one channel of the current show present in the search.

Since it isn't mentioned, guess it is not there.  Correct me if I am wrong.

I will wait to see when I am watching say 5 shows in a row on don demand tv whether it suggests the next show, as currently on shomi (yeh I know that is gone, so no need to fix that one), but the recommended shows on the right don't give me the next one in the series most times.

We are expecting to have the upgrade rolled out across Ontario by the end of October.  Please refer to our TV - How To's for more information on the new features.

I will go there.

Thanks for listening and persisting Margaret, and everyone else, the customer.

Bruce

Please continue to provide your feedback in the Navigatr thread.  We continue to circulate your feedback with the appropriate teams in the company.  I will circle back to this thread to provide any future updates.

~RogersMargaret

baaddawg
I'm Here A Lot

Bruce by manual recorging I don't mean pressing the red button while watching the channel.  I mean having the ability (like it was before crapig8tr) to select the channel, time, length of recording etc).  We could have broken up the olympic 8 hour recordings ourselves.

Also I hate how you have no idea what channel has been recorded when there are multiple recordings in a tile.  You have to "watch" the program to find out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BS, what @baaddawg was referring to with "manual recordings" is the ability to set a start time and stop time, as you can with the SA8300 (SARA firmware).  Currently, you cannot start a programme late or end it early.

Some people may wonder why you would want this - Certain programming may be very long (Olympics for example) and someone may want to record only a portion of that programme. Currently that is impossible with Navigatr (and was impossible with the latest RTN), but it is possible with SARA.

I've also used it to record the pertinent part of the re-airing of a programme that I've watched previously - like a concert.  There may be several acts, and I only want one, or there may be many songs and I only want certain ones.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@baaddawg wrote:

Also I hate how you have no idea what channel has been recorded when there are multiple recordings in a tile.  You have to "watch" the program to find out.

With series recordings you can see the channel name. It's single recordings where you can't and have to start watching.  A workaround is to set series recordings even when you're only recording once.

baaddawg
I'm Here A Lot

Another reason to manual record is that sometimes (sports for example) the guide is wrong and the program you want to watch is actually on another channel than listed.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Ok, I do remember that feature and I did use it, but guess not enough to notice that it was gone.

Thanks for the clarification, @57  Can always count on you.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, you are both right @57 and @baaddawg.  We have somewhat worked around it by setting starts before and ends after to deal with times that wander from posted guide, and programming on the other channel when I realize that things in the guide do not match reality.

I have often wanted to be able to set times because when I watch Bill Mahr, I watch the intro, the key speaker, ignore the panel when there is someone who just wants to argue Trump style, and then jump to the guest speaker, and listen to Bill Mahr - I have better things to do with my time, and if I could start the recording, skipping panel when people are on I would love it, and record a second recording just at the  beginning, but fast forwarding works too - Unfortunately, I sometimes don't have the self control to fast forward - another therapy goal - I use technology to assist me so that I can do my therapy on controlling my viewing behaviour to times where I can manage it, and when I know I can'[t I use technology - it is like blocking myself from the forum at times, and completely even blocking any access through my blocking software in my router.

Yes, do bring back manual recording, now that I remember what it is.

This one is kind of an accommodation for me to deal with my disability, but I get my wife to help me and my therapist too.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersMargaret:

You stated in your edited post (link below)

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

• Closed Captioning Accessibility
    Separate from the above mentioned issues with CC, it comes down to the accessibility of it.
    It is currently much more work to enable, compared to previous versions.
    Under the old version, just required you to press INFO, then two more clicks over to the CC button.
    Under Navigatr, it requires you to press info, then  to MORE, then to move all the way to enable CC.  At minimum 3x as many clicks (and that is by pressing UP, pressing down requires MORE presses)
    This needs to be MOVED to a more accessible location, best case on the INFO screen as before.

This is blatantly untrue. It still takes far too many steps to invoke CC.  Way more than it should.  The minimun number of clicks is 7 and it's many more if you go intuitively "down" instead of unintuitively "up".  The entire process of invoking CC is totally unintuitive and convoluted.  It should be corrected so that fewer steps are required.

• Selection Location after action preformed
    When viewing your scheduled recordings, if you perform an edit like deleting a scheduled recording, instead of going back to your "place" in the list/tiles, you are taken back to the top of the list. This is annoying since you may wish to do more editing.

This is also incorrect. When you finish deleting a programme, you are taken to the top of the list instead of being left in the location where you are working.

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BS wrote:

We are expecting to have the upgrade rolled out across Ontario by the end of October.  Please refer to our TV - How To's for more information on the new features.

I will go there.

Bruce

Please continue to provide your feedback in the Navigatr thread.  We continue to circulate your feedback with the appropriate teams in the company.  I will circle back to this thread to provide any future updates.

~RogersMargaret

@BS Going to the TV - How To's for more information on the new features only gives you a bit more info on the updates. Here are some of the links:@BS Going to the TV - How To's for more information on the new features only gives you a bit more info on the updates. Here are some of the links:

How To - Use the Netbox Navigatr Guide

How To - Navigate Through The Welcome Screens on Navigatr

How To - Delete Multiple Recordings on Navigatr

How To - Toggling BetweenTile View and List View on Navigatr

By the end of October, I  guess we will see something to comment on.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57  Thanks for confirming the items that I reported, the more people who confirm the inaccuracy on the updates, the better.  You can even just say ditto, or I agree.

Margaret, I don't know if you are aloud to change anything or do what I am going to suggest or even to respond, but would it hurt to Rogers powers that be allow you to run the update across known people who are highly knowledgeable on this product, like @57, @Gdkitty, myself, @park, and a number of others (even your resident expert alone would be great), and get a validity check before it goes out and then concerns between Rogers and customers on this board could be minimized and less frustrating.

Just a suggestion, don't know if it is doable, and don't need a response to it.  Just please, Rogers people who read here, think about it.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@User14 wrote:

@BS wrote:

I will go there.

Bruce

~RogersMargaret

@BS Going to the TV - How To's for more information on the new features only gives you a bit more info on the updates. Here are some of the links:@BS Going to the TV - How To's for more information on the new features only gives you a bit more info on the updates. Here are some of the links:

How To - Use the Netbox Navigatr Guide

How To - Navigate Through The Welcome Screens on Navigatr

How To - Delete Multiple Recordings on Navigatr

How To - Toggling BetweenTile View and List View on Navigatr

By the end of October, I  guess we will see something to comment on.

Thanks for the links @RogersMargaret, the first link is of little use that I can see, appears to be much the same as the one from the July update, no references to the CC issue there that I can find, although I know it was reported elsewhere.  I will give the benefit of doubt and hope that when the update comes that some of the issues of the CC will be either improved, or at least the instructions changed to reflect the reality of the known solution which is to hit info when in navigtr, live tv viewing, to hit guide, then info when doing any other viewing from non-live TV such as on demand tv, shomi, which will soon be gone, but we still need to know for now, pay as you go, and pvr playback.  And to fully describe the easiest steps - the current descriptions available do not reflect this.  Maybe it will come in the next few days.

Navigate through the new screens I can't comment on, I haven't seen it since last July 2015. Should be helful for new users - hope that when people get a box that are new people that the link of how to do this, or a quick list is provided to them.

The last two look very promising, but I will wait until I get it to comment on pros and cons and how well it works, and pros and cons of using either method, but glad there is an option.  If others get it before me, please report back to this thread and let us know your experience, how well it meets the needs and suggestions if it has some blatant issues, or possible enhancements.

I am glad changes are coming, it does not make up for everything we have been through, the free movies back a few months ago on demand, I never watch any of them, not sure who picked these, or whether anyone watched them, I suspect they weren't expensive to license for one month for free, or to forgo 6.99 on each, but it certainly was a small but for me useless compensation for the inconvience and patience.  Boy we are asked for an incredible level of patience that I think has been well beyond the ability of a lot of people, me for sure - it impacted my mental health for a while, so I just shut it all out.

But all that aside, thanks for the updates, and further commenting. I look forward to the update and seeing updated descriptions of the changes, and possible response to the concerns we have already raised before even getting it, just off the reported changes and how to's.  We keep moving forward, and I thank the front line for their patience and yours too.  My has been stretched real thin.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks also @User14 for the links - see my comments above.

Bruce

I got mixed up between you and Margaret in that response.

Bruce

RogersMargaret

Hi Community,

@57 thanks for flagging. I've circled back with the product team and have amended my post in the issues thread; the items you've listed will be addressed in October's enhancement.

@BS, yes, I have proposed the idea of having community users test software versions ... I will keep the community posted on any developments.

~RogersMargaret

Thanks @RogersMargaret for passing things along & continuing to ensure our voices are heard.

Suggestions regarding Closed Captioning (CC):

- The "C" button on the remote should be mapped to enable/disable CC with a single button press.  This would be the fastest and most convenient way to enable/disable CC.

- When pressing INFO, scrolling to MORE and pressing OK/SELECT, you are given multiple options (six of which are visible without scrolling).  The first 6 options are: Record this Program, Record Series, Watch this Channel Now, Set Channel as Favourite, Block Channel, Video Output Toggle.

Serious question: Who uses the Video Output Toggle option outside of "Settings", and why is it occupying screen real estate here? It would be more helpful to remove the "Video Output Toggle" option (or demote to bottom of list), and add an option to Enable/Disable CC.

This would make the CC feature easier to access and discover (for new users).

Just my two cents!

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @RogersMargaret for the updates.

Just to clarify, since I didn't word it well, my suggestion was to have the update notice you put out to us reviewed by a few users, not the actual updates, but that would be nice too.

So, your post with the individualized changes, notices of previously fixed areas that we ended up advising you of errors in the notice, and you have kindly looped back to the team, and I see the changes you have made to reflect a more accurate representation of the state of affairs.

So to clarify, if the posting you put out with the notice of status on issues, if you ran that by a few of us first, the new revised one that you just did would be completely up to date on the first pass.  Those of us immersed in this since the beginning found the discrepencies within minutes of reviewing each item.  Would have saved a lot of time and further questions about competance of the Rogers development and communications team, and allow us all to feel more comfortable.  This is why running updates, rollouts, documentation, communication across a group of users is very useful,  but as someone said, the non-disclosure agreements can present a challenge, in particular in a very competetive market where timing is critical.

Thanks for the quick responses and thanks for the team for moving so quickly on clarifying the gaps we found.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@robindp great suggestion on the video output toggle - you are right, who uses it, although some with older tv's may still use it and when there is only sd available of the show, I sometimes use it, but I can get it from my tv settings too, so would be inclined to go with move it to the bottom.  Brings the cc up to the main view of more, but still would be more clicks to get there than just going two clicks up.  But even so, with the inconsistencies of scrolling up throughout the product, for some, being able to see it right away may be helpful.  Those who never go up because they don't know  they can at least see at a glance that it is there.

As for the c, that is a good suggestion, but would require a programming with a if then,

if in guide, c opens filter channels, otherwise, if not in guide, c turns cc on and off

One good thing is that the c only operates in guide now anyway, so there is already a state condition to make it active already, just change the if in guide, c does filter channels, to if not in guide, do cc.

Definitely theoretically not a tough coding change, in psuedo programming on paper, but once you get into the code who knows.  It has taken almost a year and a half to get to where we are now and it appears that we are very close to having all the original issues out of the way. Hopefully it provides a solid foundation for the next changes - IPTV.

The only last item I have is the search algorithms and more like this algorithms.  

I have no idea who developed those, and they must be incredibly basic and have little to do with what the user has been doing, or any relation to the show they are currently on for more like this or suggestions, and the whole search list that is returned, often makes absolutely no sense, in terms of its return first of shomi and on demand tv or pay per view, and only one channel when there are often multiple channels to choose from - critical when one network is prempting and another isn't, or a different time is not impacted.

That has a long way to go and Anyplace TV blows that feature away.

But we are getting there - getting down to tiny things now.  Thanks Margaret for continuing to listen and to push our ideas to the team - I know programming takes time, and that there have been many company changes in the mix, technological changes, future directions, and competition pressure.  Keep the information moving back and forth - it has improved.

Bruce

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @BS,

Great points - my comments:

- I also have an SDTV (basement).  If I need to use the Video Output toggle, I simply press "#" on the remote until I find an acceptable setting (the behaviour of that button has been the same since the 4000 series boxes).

- Mapping the "C" button to CC (when watching a program and not in the guide view) will definitely involve some programming, but so does any change to the interface.  I am hopeful that the level of change would be minimal, since the code would only need to map an existing function to a button vs. change to the UX.  As someone who works in IT and with code (sometimes) I totally appreciate that a seemingly simple change can be much more difficult to implement than we think.

- I hear you about "C" already being assigned to a function in the guide, but the existing and new RF remotes do not have a dedicated CC button (Rogers - why not?).

Other than returning enable/disable CC to the info menu (Rogers - this would be awesome), don't know how it can be implemented without excessive changes to code.

I echo your sentiments re: @RogersMargaret - thanks for pushing our ideas to the rest of the team!