Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

remaxman
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Going into week 4 without any on demand service. Catalog error. Can't order any movies so I can watch them before the Oscars.
Steve

ALDK
I've Been Here Awhile
Thank you. I will contact CRTC

remaxman

I set my reminders for my day and evening viewing. This is in my top 10 problems with the Navigatr software.

Steve

I cannot believe that Rogers has thrown out a perfectly good guide for Navigatr! Nearly all of the functions require more steps than the previous system. But that is only the tip of the iceberg! Here are some more:

1) Many program images are wrong, eg. "Jeopardy" shows up as "The Insider", "Mayday", a plane disaster documentary program, has an image of a young maiden standing at the edge of a forest. Is she going to dance around the maypole?

2) When you record a program, in the lower left corner are several program images under the general heading "More like this" So what do we see here? Nearly half the time one of the three program images is for "Minions", some kids program. This even appears when I am on the "Fireplace" channel. The other "More like this" links are equally inappropriate or just plain silly.

3) However, the prize goes to "closed captions". I'm 79 years old and a bit hard of hearing. There is an increasing number of us out there, many  old customers and some younger ones, too, who have hearing issues. Often, when I was watching a program under the old system I would sometimes decide I needed closed captions and I just clickked on "Info" on the remote, and there was the choice of "closed captions. I carried on with my program.

Now I have to:

a) go out of the program to a live TV channel

b) Click on the Info button

c) Choose the menu "More" from three choices

d) Scroll through several choices under "More" to a HIDDEN choice called "Closed captions". Then I click on "Turn closed captions on"

(Just a point here - why not simply say "Closed captions on" or "Closed captions off"? By adding the word "turn" it simply makes the choice 100 percent opposite what it logically should be!)

e) Back I go to my recorded programs where I have to search for what I was watching amongst about 130 or so recorded programs. When I go into that program it may or may not say "Resume". Just as often as not I am greeted with "Watch" - yup, back to the begining to find out where I left off!

f) Not over yet, though! In about half the cases, and halfway through the program,  closed captions become a jumble of double letters and gibberish that is useless. (You know what comes next, don't you? This is so annoying that back I go to live TV to "Turn off closed captions" PATHETIC!)

A DISGUSTED ROGERS "CUSTOMER"

remaxman

yup....I'm getting all that too. And guess what? Woke up this morning to no Home phone. Just gets better and better.

Steve

sethlwilson
I Plan to Stick Around

There are alternatives to Rogers in most neighbourhoods. If you decide to use another provider, ask them if they will contact Rogers to notify them of the transfer of your services. This will short-circuit any retention effort.  They'll call you to confirm though.  You may have to pay early termination fees if you have any active promotions which sucks, but what sucks more is continuing to pay for a service you can't use from a company that treats its customers with contempt.

I just switched to Bell Fibe. The PVR UX is perfectly designed. It has all the functionality that Navigatr omitted and more. Bell's is slightly more expensive than the package I had with Rogers but it's the best alternative I found, and so far I love it. Thinking back to Navigatr and how it compares to Fibe, I laugh (and cry).  

I speculate that there's some mutually beneficial arrangement between Espial and Rogers that was made in order to benefit stockholders.  It's obvious that customers and customer satisfaction were not part of the equation.  Rogers will no doubt survive fleeing customers in the end.  

As I returned all of my equipment to a nearby Rogers store yesterday, I witnessed a team of dedicated vibrant employees (or independent contractors) working hard to acquire and service customers, and all the while I couldn't help but think how they, we have all been betrayed.

-Seth Wilson

molly222
I Plan to Stick Around

@sethlwilson wrote:

I just switched to Bell Fibe. The PVR UX is perfectly designed. It has all the functionality that Navigatr omitted and more. Bell's is slightly more expensive than the package I had with Rogers but it's the best alternative I found, and so far I love it. Thinking back to Navigatr and how it compares to Fibe, I laugh (and cry).  

I speculate that there's some mutually beneficial arrangement between Espial and Rogers that was made in order to benefit stockholders.  It's obvious that customers and customer satisfaction were not part of the equation.  Rogers will no doubt survive fleeing customers in the end.  

As I returned all of my equipment to a nearby Rogers store yesterday, I witnessed a team of dedicated vibrant employees (or independent contractors) working hard to acquire and service customers, and all the while I couldn't help but think how they, we have all been betrayed.

-Seth Wilson

Just got off the phone with Rogers (40 minute wait on hold this time) to report that the guide info for ABC Spark is missing as of Monday at 8:00 a.m.  The same thing happened last week for TLN.  I know my neighbours (with Rogers) have been experiencing this same problem, so it's not an isolated issue.  Also is not an issue with getting info from the subscribed network because people I know with other companies have info for these channels from their providers.  So if any of you are taping on ABC Spark as of Monday, you'll find those tiles are now zombies.

While on the phone with Rogers, I was surprised that they actually asked about Navigatr and my thoughts...since I call them almost once a week to report some new stupid bug and have never actually received this response from them, I was quite surprised.  One small step in the right direction for Rogers. 

Regardless, I did tell them to put a note on my file that I did call Bell to request Fibe TV...sadly, not yet available on my street...but they are aiming for this spring.  So I guess at this point it is a race...whomever can provide me with a PVR that can reliably deliver me the basics fastest wins!

Sethlwilson:  I am green with envy!

@dexter394444 wrote:

3) However, the prize goes to "closed captions".

Until Rogers fixes this, there is a workaround for the CC issue. You turn on CC once in live programming and then use the workaround as necessary.  I believe there are a couple of channels (CTV?  Global?) that have garbled CC issues. The rest should be OK, but no guarantees.  See the following link:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Please take a few minutes to read the following links. They will save you hours of frustration and questions:

How To:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Issues Summary:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Summary/Tips.  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

perform
I've Been Here Awhile

Yeah, I'm too..... and to set the reminder (just remind you to watch now or dismiss) the little icon takes forever to show up what a test for you patience.

I think they try to jam too many functionality into a limited CPU power of the Nextbox.

Cat Mad

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@sethlwilson wrote:

The problem with Bell Fibe is that you also have to have your Internet through them (since that's how Fibe works) and frankly their Internet packages (at the top end at least) are very poor compared to Rogers. I get way more speed and unlimited downloads on my current Ignite 250 plan and can not come even CLOSE to that on Bell (or so I think?). So if I could do Fibe on its own I would be there in a flash. But I'm unwilling to give up my superior Internet plan to get there.

Rock, meet hard place.

Steelheader
I Plan to Stick Around
Rapid accessible cc is something Rogers has been told about about and from what I understand they are working on

8n
I've Been Here Awhile

PVR Recordings

Suggestion

Prior, during or after recording a series, when you select the tile for the series, there is a dispaly showing the station number, the station name, the date of the recording and time. 

For consistency, display the same information for a single recording. The above information is useful for all recordings, not just for a series.

sethlwilson
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry to hear Fibe isn't yet available in you neighbourhood. I live in a high-rise in downtown old Toronto area. Up until a year ago Rogers had some sweetheart deal with my landlord for TV service. I guess it expired.

Currently Bell has fibre to my building which means the "last kilometre" is still CAT5. This limits the throughput, but I was told they will bring the fibre right into the condo in about 3 years.

Any who ... I was perfectly happy with Rogers TV, Internet, and home phone up until Navigatr was pushed onto my Nextbox 3 PVR. I had heard horror stories about Bell and Fibe, and besides Rogers is or was cheaper.  The "bugs" they're asking customers to be patient about aren't bugs but rather the result of right out less than mediocre development.  I'm a software developer so Navigatr was insulting to me.  Software will always be released with bugs, but NAvigatr isn't even half-baked. Its release was negligent. 

@Steelheader wrote:
Rapid accessible cc is something Rogers has been told about about and from what I understand they are working on

Q: What makes you so sure ?

They were told last July 28th by many of us in the 1st round of guineapigs.

Rogers did nothing about it in the new version.

molly222
I Plan to Stick Around

@park wrote:

@Steelheader wrote:

The CRTC told me that they have been receiving complaints about this issue since August 2015.  They said they are aware that it did not get fixed as promised in the December rollout.  They did not say what/if anything is currently being done to address this issue (I'm not holding my breath).

park
I'm an Advisor

@molly222 wrote:

@park wrote:

@Steelheader wrote:

The CRTC told me that they have been receiving complaints about this issue since August 2015.  They said they are aware that it did not get fixed as promised in the December rollout.  They did not say what/if anything is currently being done to address this issue (I'm not holding my breath).

@molly222 @Cush   @Steelheader

There is a permanent solution that the CRTC could do to help the public (i.e. us)  and foster more choice and competiton.  Let customers choose their own PVR and/or software. Rogers can do keep doing whatever they want but we would no longer be held captive.

That is how things work in the US and I believe the UK and how they  worked here with Analog TV.

rgottinger

@park wrote:

@molly222 @Cush   @Steelheader

There is a permanent solution that the CRTC could do to help the public (i.e. us)  and foster more choice and competiton.  Let customers choose their own PVR and/or software. Rogers can do keep doing whatever they want but we would no longer be held captive.

That is how things work in the US and I believe the UK and how they  worked here with Analog TV.

And that will never happen just like not forcing French channels on people who don't want them.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@dexter394444 wrote:

I cannot believe that Rogers has thrown out a perfectly good guide for Navigatr! Nearly all of the functions require more steps than the previous system. But that is only the tip of the iceberg! 

A DISGUSTED ROGERS "CUSTOMER"

We are all disgusted. I have been following this forum for a couple of weeks, and new people keep arriving with the same problems and the same suggestions.  It seems to have been that way since July!  I wonder what on earth is going on at Rogers?  Why can't they put this right?  Seems to be a serious epidemic of inertia over there.  Perhaps they need some help.

I have been in touch with the Office of the President, and received a very quick, and pleasant,  response.  I have been asked to list out my issues!  Feels like doing homework, and I have not got around to it.  But I did direct them to this Forum.

I do suggest that everyone get in touch with them, as it is a more direct way to voice your displeasure, and we have no idea if the information from this Forum is really getting through to where we want it to.

Send your lists and suggestions, and GDKitty and others, send your list of issues,  tips and workarounds....and a bill! 🙂

It is the strangest thing I have ever seen from a service company, making such a huge mistake, appearing to realise it and promising to fix it, and then releasing it to the rest of the customers, before making sure they got it right!  Some very questionable decision making at the top.  And the worst part, not saying anything to customers to explain what is going on.  Apologies from customer service reps are just not good enough any more.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Customer01 - the list is available in the following link - just cut/paste:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

ALDK
I've Been Here Awhile

Absolutely everything is wrong with this navigator bar, one would almost think they want to get out of the cable buissness and concentrate on cell phones, especially now that the CRTC has set new guidelines for pricing. I for one will be looking for a different satelite co. unless they bring back the automatic channel change when setting a reminder, which I need for my husband who is quadripligic. 

RedBerry11
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok I am trying to watch my Joyce Meyers recordings ,says I have 38 lets me scroll down to fourth one, is this another bad joke about Navigator? When is Rogers going to fix simple issues like the channel changeing when you set a reminder? The funniest one is does anyone realize that in the new NetBox series there has never been a way to set the box to turn off .It use to be an option. You would assume that any sort of power saving options would be mandatory these days .Every bit of power people can save theese days counts. If you have 3 NetBoxes running for no reason I am sure it would add up and they should turn off if inactive. 

Mostly what is the point of having 38 recordings no way to scroll to them come on!