Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

It most certainly is too short and even if i am behind in watching my recordings its still tv and has its place and that isn't as my primary focus in life but that's me.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@park wrote:

@rgottinger wrote:

GdKitty - thanks for all of the effort you have put into that guide of yours. I do wonder why someone would expect to able to record a program and then attempt to watch the program still being recorded from the beginning of the recording.

Cause that the only way us Patriotic Canadians are able to watch 3 newscasts (CBS, NBC and ABC) at the same time while catching a Judge Judy on a slow news day, all before Wheel of Fortune ends  😉

Sometimes one gets to the tv after the show begins.   Maybe the phone rang, or dinner was late.  Maybe we are finishing up watching something else.   We do that all the time, and start watching the recording while it is still recording.  It enables us to control when we will watch the show.  It has always been one of the important features of the PVR, for us.  It still works.

Steelheader
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a little of my two cents...well, no more pennies. Then a nickel's worth. The NB 3 9865HD is so much faster, that though there are still improvements to be made and hopefully Rogers is doing so, the experience is much better and the frustrations less. So if any out there have older 8642HD, then DO make the change.

Also as far as the search function being a problem. It does take 24-72 hours for that aspect to update on your NB3.

rgottinger

Steelheader, you are bang on. I have a NB3 9865HD and the only issues that i have come across are usability-based. All a PVR is is a small computer and the older models are clearly underpowered. This is the same paradigm as the PC. Older ones may still function but as time passes applications are written for newer, more powerful hardware and not thought is given to older PCs. In this case we were all forced to upgrade to Navigatr unlike with Windows where you can take your chances with older versions. People seem to want all sorts of functionality without considering that a more powerful processor will be required to enable this. You pay more to rent a PVR but when it is obsolete or underpowered, you exchange it. If you own it, you eventually have a doorstop

fishface42
I've Been Here Awhile

My Navigatr has recorded and recording pending mixed arbitrarily in the boxes.  The whole thing is a balky regression from the original format.  Also, can't organize programs by PVR [of three] as before.  The whole dreary mess is a curse.  And for what?  So you see visual boxes--big deal.

Steelheader
I Plan to Stick Around
I agree (Park). However, we can't go back, unfortunately. So the NB3 will definitely lower the frustration level of NB2 users. I did see ( and perhaps it was my own wishful delusion) that a few weeks after the Navigatr intro, that the NB2 was slightly, again slightly, faster.

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@rgottinger wrote:

Steelheader, you are bang on. I have a NB3 9865HD and the only issues that i have come across are usability-based. All a PVR is is a small computer and the older models are clearly underpowered. This is the same paradigm as the PC. Older ones may still function but as time passes applications are written for newer, more powerful hardware and not thought is given to older PCs. In this case we were all forced to upgrade to Navigatr unlike with Windows where you can take your chances with older versions. People seem to want all sorts of functionality without considering that a more powerful processor will be required to enable this. You pay more to rent a PVR but when it is obsolete or underpowered, you exchange it. If you own it, you eventually have a doorstop

Except for the fact that there is no PVR box in Rogers' stable or presumably anywhere else in the world that will turn this piece of junk Navigatr into a well-designed platform. Yes it may run faster or slower on this machine or that one, but the problem is mainly the software implementation, not the hardware being used. 

The new guide is frustrating, slow, and messed up. It takes forever for the guide to respond to the remote. My recorded programs are no longer in folders. Each program has to be opened individually to be able to get a description. After you delete a program, you are sent back to the start of your recorded list and have to scroll all the way back down again! It is tedious! I hate the new guide and can't believe that anyone tested it out and gave it the go ahead! 

rgottinger

I have a 9865HD box and slowness is not the problem, usability is. Older boxes seem to struggle with performance as many on here have said repeatedly

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

if you call in and complain they can put a patch on a 9865 for the slow remote response.Hey Rogers are you still hiring for the Navigator alpha testing  or are your customers still going to do it for you?

@rgottinger wrote:

Computer (from dictionary.com) - a programmable electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations.

Doesn't a PVR accept data, perform logical operations and display the results?

As for the fridge, stove and coffee maker, no one could update that if they wanted to without access now could they?

Q: How can I get my  PVR to add 2+2 ?  And the obvious.... Navigatr and logical operations ? 

FYI: Many devices today have mtnce port (serial or USB) where a tech can plug in his computer,

generally to get diagnostic info. but I suspect in the rare case download a fix. 

jason40
I've Been Around

I used to be able to fast forward with multiple speeds but now it's only one slow speed.

This seems to have happened after the format change. Any way to get the multiple FFW speeds back?

NetUser20
I've Been Here Awhile

I like my current Nextbox guide. Is it possible for me to opt-out of the Navigatr update?

Customers are not able to opt-out of this update. We’ve updated the look and feel of the guide and made it easier and more intuitive to use. We’ve also included new features and updates to others like the mini-guide, info screen, PVR, a new search engine, and more that we know you’ll love.

This is what I am greeted with when get to the feedback page for the new Navigatr system...  By what the community is saying it doesn’t sound like many customers are enjoying the experience!

I’m not saying that I would have been able to design a better system but WHY!! Take out key features that you presented in the last update that were enriching the viewing experience???

Here are a few points that I have found that you have moved backward on, and have made the viewing experience more frustrating and not fun!

1. When viewing your recorded programs in the old system you were able to see and hear live tv. That is now gone you can only hear live tv.

1. When watching a recorded program you are not able to check your list of recordings. The video will pause.

It was a better experience before when you could have the ability to do both at the same time.

1. When deleting a recorded program the cursor is defaulted on (Yes), which can lead to an unwanted deletion. On the old system it defaulted to (No), so it was not an issue.

1. The new system offers less information on your recordings.

In the old system it would indicate the channel that you recorded on.

1. In the old system you were able to at a glance see your recordings and the date they were recorded, description of the program.

In the new system you have to enter the individual recording... Is there a list option?

1. Sometimes a security icon at the top right of the Saved recordings page... What does that mean?

1. In the old system you could perform multiple deletes of different shows. That is not possible anymore.

1. The new system considers ALL recordings as "new" shows. In the old system you were able to tell at a glance which episodes were new or old.

NetUser20
I've Been Here Awhile

Judging by the other posts on here ROGERS you dont realy care do you?!

sepandee
I Plan to Stick Around
NetUser20 wrote:

Judging by the other posts on here ROGERS you dont realy care do you?!

You know, I complained a few days ago about some features that have been missing since the new update. And today, I find out that I can't even see the list of recordings I've scheduled to be recorded. 

On top of that, my remote commands seem to take anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds to register. This is driving me nuts.

So yeah, I guess they don't care. 

Attila_
I Plan to Stick Around

So, seeing all these posts in multiple threads, what it indicates to me is that Rogers spent millions of dollars over the last 10 years and made everyone's PVR experience much worse.

I had SARA on the NB2 when I got it. It was working fine. I told Rogers I don't want their new interface (RTN), yet they forced it on my box a few weeks later. Since then the NB2 is a chore to use, even more so with Navigatr.

My NB3 is fast enough to handle Navigatr, but my OS, (Human 1.0) constantly throws exceptions trying to use it.

Solution: Rogers should exchange all NB2s for NB3s for free, even the bought ones, as Rogers made them unuseable. Hire some real programmers, not these "coders" we have running around now who have no clue about efficient programming and UI design.

rgottinger

The biggest issue with Navigatr on hardware that is capable of running it is usability. More clicks required for functions than before and it is less intuitive all of which is related to bad design. As far as i understand it development was outsourced to Espial and what has been delivered is what contractors do if they aren't directed firmly. There are workarounds as users like Gdkitty have posted in this and other threads but a solid design wouldn't need workarounds.

njd
I Plan to Stick Around

There is no such thing in the known universe as a "solid" design software or otherwise. Everything from your shoe laces to your tooth paste, from your couch to your car, from you TV through your computer to your smart phone is the result of evolution, technology change and design iteration.

Software companies love that "iteration" thingy cuz it means more development money and they are past masters at finding loopholes in any design contract to get it...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just so you guys are aware, i have crated another thread here.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Sort of a KNOWN ISSUES thread.. something as a forefront for the guys here to take forward in front when they send the collected navigatr data to the devs, higher ups, etc.

Please feel free to PM me with additions to it..  i am sure that i have missed a bunch.

Steelheader
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Just so you guys are aware, i have crated another thread here.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Sort of a KNOWN ISSUES thread.. something as a forefront for the guys here to take forward in front when they send the collected navigatr data to the devs, higher ups, etc.

Please feel free to PM me with additions to it..  i am sure that i have missed a bunch.

Thanks Gdkitty. This would be great to be accessible somewhere so that is not lost in the growing posts and we could refer posters.

it should be stickeyed at the top of the page