Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@PoppaGray wrote:

One minor added note.  I do see the Ouroboros animated icon chasing its tail around and around on the top right corner of the AnyPlace TV remote PVR control screen.  Don't know exactly what that means though.

AnyPlace TV is an app for mobile devices. The web app is at http://www.rogersondemand.com/ and then you click Manage PVR at the top and sign in.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Johnrc123
I Plan to Stick Around
... and "Home Edition" is what's used to manage a PVR with a mobile app?

park
I'm an Advisor

@BS wrote:

Hey, I just badged up to I am an advisor.  Guess I have been at this forum way too much - glad to have learned and helped as I went along.

I think I have worked with at least 10 different threads, mostly Navigtr, and am proud to have started the ball rolling back in July about the first upgrade.

Have met a lot of wonderful people along the way, some extremely knowledgeable people in various domains of the industry who really do know their stuff very very well.

I don't think any of us would have made this long with Navigtr if it hadn't been for the forum members.

Glad I was able to advise, commiserate, complain, and make recommendations along with all of you.

Bruce

@BS  Congrats on your promotion.

I think the best think about Navigatr is that we talk about it so much that we do not have time to watch TV !

But it is still park backwards !

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

@57 wrote:

@YtanyaY wrote:

Hello @57,

1. WHY should I (we / anyone) have to COMPLICATE our lives to use something that lacks even basic fundamentals?

2. FWIW - I have been seeing a number of cable company trucks (NOT ROGERS) in my area.

1. Hey, you have a choice. You can make your life easier, or you can make it hard.  As I mentioned, I've been using AnyPlace for searches long before Navigatr existed and it's fewer steps, it shows lists and additional options for recording/scheduling.  It also allows you to interface with your PVR when you're not at home - say at work or on vacation.

2. I doubt you have. You may have seen trucks from another provider, but Cable Companies almost never overlap areas

Hi

1. I have to apologize because my post was supposed to be directed ONLY at Rogers....

From my Navigatr experience:  they installed something that does not do what it is supposed to do and IMO interferes with other functions.

I was able to search before Navigatr (not too well) but now the results are usually nonsense.

IMO, one should be able to hit search with the remote and get logical results.

(Without doing anything else).

I didn't know what anyplace was [but see below that it's for mobile, which I don't use.....] 

2. Don't know terminology but this is what I meant by "company"

All companies | Canadian Outages

http://canadianoutages.com/companies

There are a few different ones on my street.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

@rickschlau wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I know this has already been posted but a search did not help me:

I have accidently hit the fav button on remote and can't get back into the guide.

help?

Hi,

I don't know if you got an answer yet:

I rebooted (unplugged box power for 10-30 seconds) and regular guide returned.

rickschlau
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@YtanyaY wrote:

I didn't know what anyplace was [but see below that it's for mobile, which I don't use.....] 

If you look at my post 1369 and the links there (which you have quoted) you will see that AnyPlace is not only for mobile, but also for tablets and computers. I've been using it on my computer for 5 years.  You simply log into the website below from most web browsers (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, IE, etc)  Click "Manage PVR" You need to have a MyRogers login for this to work.

http://www.rogersondemand.com/

I have three PVRs - one 9865 and two 8300HDs. I can interface with all of them - set recordings, see the list of recordings, see scheduled recordings, search for programming and then set the recording, etc...  Best of all, the recordings/scheduled recordings are in list format and the scheduled recordings contain information such as Channel, day, date, time.

robindp
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Johnrc123 wrote:
... and "Home Edition" is what's used to manage a PVR with a mobile app?

Yes

The new Rogers Guide is not an upgrade it is slow and not user friendly. While recording you are unable to restart a program from the start you have to wait till it is over.  The display list shows the newest program first.

The system is incredibly slow. I may cancel my use as this has become unbearably frustrating. Watching TV should not be this challenging 

@Sweetpea4me3 wrote:

While recording you are unable to restart a program from the start you have to wait till it is over. 

This is not true. You need to click on the appropriate tile (usually the first one or one near the top of the list when sorted by date), then scroll up to the "scheduled" tab and then you can select/watch a recording that's still taking place. Please take a few minutes to read the information in the following links. It will save you hours of frustration and questions:

How To:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Summary/Tips:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

GdKitty - thanks for all of the effort you have put into that guide of yours. I do wonder why someone would expect to able to record a program and then attempt to watch the program still being recorded from the beginning of the recording.

If you miss the start of the program or, want to watch the program and zip thru the commercials as you watch it, this allows you to do that.  Bell Satellite receivers have had that capability for a very long time, and, its nice to have.

rgottinger

Nice to have maybe but if i am recording a program then i record it and watch it later and zip through the commericals. If i record a program its because it conflicts with something else i am watching or i am not at home. 

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@rgottinger wrote:

Nice to have maybe but if i am recording a program then i record it and watch it later and zip through the commericals. If i record a program its because it conflicts with something else i am watching or i am not at home. 

That's fine for your usage and preferences but don't assume that this is the only reason to record a program.

For example, the ability to watch while recording will become a more desirable feature given that the "set reminder" function has basically been rendered useless. It used to switch over to the "reminded" program automatically but does not anymore, mening that if you want the TV to switch unattended to the show you want to watch you can no longer use the reminder feature. Instead you have to set it up to record. My wife and I watch MANY shows live that are being recorded "just in case". In that case we watch it with a slight time delay so we can bypass commercials. 

rgottinger

I would agree that the auto switch for a reminder was nice and maybe that will be reinstated. I am not counting on it though. As for just in case recording, that is a preference you have. If we want to watch a show i set it up to record it no matter what. If Rogers is going to address anything my prefence would be the usuability flaws and the recording/recorded listings. That seems to be what bothers most users

@rgottinger wrote:

GdKitty - thanks for all of the effort you have put into that guide of yours. I do wonder why someone would expect to able to record a program and then attempt to watch the program still being recorded from the beginning of the recording.

Cause that the only way us Patriotic Canadians are able to watch 3 newscasts (CBS, NBC and ABC) at the same time while catching a Judge Judy on a slow news day, all before Wheel of Fortune ends  😉

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@rgottinger

I agree completely on the priorities etc. I was only pointing out that we all have different styles and different preferences and that the ability to watch a program "live" that is in the process of being recorded is a preference shared by many. 

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@DrMike, @rgottinger Unless I'm behind in watching my recordings, I always watch them while they're in progress. It saves a lot of time to start watching a 1-hour program 20 minutes in, skipping the commercials. If I have 3 shows recorded, 8-9, 9-10 and 10-11, I'll start watching the recordings at about 9:00 p.m. and be done soon after 11, saving almost a whole hour. Life is too short.

I think that Oldyellr hit the same reason that we do that here.

You can watch 4 programs often say in a 3 hour window, vs 3 WITH commercials.

My wife watches a lot of reality TV (unfortunately :P).  And with her line of work, she has many clients who do as well, and many of them watch LIVE tv only..  so the next day, she will go to their place, and the client will TALK about what happend (who got kicked out, etc), and ruin it for her.. so my wife often does have to watch 'live' or the night of.

BUT with right timing.. we are able to save time sometimes and skip commericals (as per above).. all in one go.
She waits for the show to be 15-20 mins in (watching usually a short 30 min program till then), then starts up the show, only being say 15 mins behind live.

While this feature is a little different to access than before... at least its one thing they DIDN'T get rid of with the Navigatr 😛

mfait

@YtanyaY wrote:

@rickschlau wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I know this has already been posted but a search did not help me:

I have accidently hit the fav button on remote and can't get back into the guide.

help?

Hi,

I don't know if you got an answer yet:

I rebooted (unplugged box power for 10-30 seconds) and regular guide returned.

Press GUIDE, then "C" to filter channels, the select "Subcribed". May need to hit save.

Pressing GUIDE toggles between all channels and favourites.

Don't hit FAV as this locks you into favourites and need the procedure above to get out.