Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Marchend
I've Been Here Awhile

Are thyere any plans to add a list option in the future as the thumbnails often have the title truncated making searches extremly difficault to perform:

• you now have to go into a thumbail to see the record date
  • if a show does not have a thumbnail image and the title is too long you now have to click on the image to get the full title.

We all hope so, but don't know. The removal of list view is one of the primary issues with the Navigatr software. 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Here is an interesting one - my 25 year old daughter came home for the weekend. She was still living at home in July until November, so she had seen all the challenges that we had dealing with the new interface, and its poor integration with the underlying functions of PVR, freezing.

When she looked at the box this weekend, she said, "Hey, the pictures are pretty".  We then showed her how ackward it remains to do anything with those "pretty picture", and she said, why not a choice for tiles or a list..

She then commented that if they had an app that had those same times on a tablet, that she could see the benefits of the tiles as you could just swipe up and down and either direction, build a larger layout of tiles, as you could just easily swipe through them.  Maybe this is where they are taking us, but one, I don't own a tablet, two you wouldn't do this on a phone, and so we have a visually designed interface, using a standard, curser, arror, enter model of an analogue remote control.  It creates a model that requires many, many more clicks (or steps), that contradicts their whole marketing model.  Rogers refuses to acknowledge that the whole use of the remote requires more clicks, in particular in the PVR to manage our recordings.

But, they certainly are "pretty pictures".  Maybe the answer to the, "sorry that you don't like our new interface", is there anything I can do for you?

We respond, I like the pretty pictures, and the pretty looking guide, but allow me to describe the steps to access a video, delete a video, see future recordings, turn on and off CC and a number of other things, compared to the old model - now you tell me what exactly I don't like about the guide - can you give me a few things as to how the guide will improve my experience, and how this involves less steps.

But, those pictures certainly are nice.

Bruce

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

the funny thing is, it looks almost like the Plex app on my tablet - but the Plex app lets you toggle between tile view and list view

if Plex can do that, why can't Rogers??

Marchend
I've Been Here Awhile

Without going through 133 pages of posts has there been any feedback from Rogers on the glaring issues with the new Navigator system?

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have just about given up complaining about the cumbersome functionality of Navigatr . I do hope that there is an improvement upgrade in the works and available soon. (I'm an optimist)   But .... Please, Please, make the addition of the time and channel information available in scheduled recordings.

park
I'm an Advisor

@BS wrote:  But, those pictures certainly are nice.

Especially the one for "Mayday"  

Has nothing to do with airplane disasters and has tiny tiny printing on it too !

park
I'm an Advisor

@jays77 wrote:

I have just about given up complaining about the cumbersome functionality of Navigatr . I do hope that there is an improvement upgrade in the works and available soon. (I'm an optimist)   But .... Please, Please, make the addition of the time and channel information available in scheduled recordings.

Currently the only way to tell time and channel is to look for the little red dots across 800+ channels over the next  7 days.

If you can't do it in the scheduled recordings list, how about an option in the guide to show only scheduled recordings (preferably do it in way that gets as many on the screen at one time).

park
I'm an Advisor

@BS RE NCIS recording:

Do you set the series to record 'all', 'any time-slot', 'any day' ?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

When she looked at the box this weekend, she said, "Hey, the pictures are pretty".  We then showed her how ackward it remains to do anything with those "pretty picture", and she said, why not a choice for tiles or a list..

Bruce

This is such a no-brainer option that I'm amazed something like that hasn't been there from the beginning. We all remember some years ago when Rogers introduced a new screen with all kinds of fancy functions that came up when you pressed the Guide button. You had to press Guide a second time to actually see the guide. Customers were outraged (but not as much as they are now over Navigatr). Rogers listened and gave us the option to configure the Guide button to show the guide first and the fancy page after a second press.  Granted, there are many other flaws in Navigatr, but I'm sure introducing a tile/list option would do a lot to keep customers fleeing to the competition.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@park  We have typically set them as New, same channel, same time, same day - It was all my Tuesday shows that were originally recorded on Channel 5 HDCBS.

The show was on a three week hiatus, came back same times, same day, same channel.

I have used the other recording setup as you described, and had more success, but just had to go in a delete extra's.  At one point I was using global, due to the football games on CBS, not sure what they were set on - the zombie scheduled recordings - "I love that term - who ever came up with it, they have died, to arise again, maybe, and sometimes in ways you would never expect." - unfortunately provide no information, so no way to know what they were recorded as.

At the moment, I scheduled them as HD CBS - just arbitrary - could have just as easily chosen GBL HD - Channel 3 or 5, don't know if the box pushes it up to the higher channels?

The GBL HD scheduled shows fall at the same time as CBS HD, but do they do the subswitch on these two networks?

Are you thinking something that may be helpful.

For now, I am just working around it - I have actually had to reset all of the Tuesday recordings, some on different networks.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR - list/tiles options - I had forgotten about that switch of the guide way back when, do remember when they brought out the change - I had just got used to hitting guide twice - if this one was only that simple, then I remember the option and I never went back.

Question, is can Espial do it, or do they even want to and can Rogers get them to do it if they want to easily satisfy their customers.  This one change would go such a long way to prove that they are truly listening, and just not being selective in their listening to only major bugs that compromise the ability to even use the box, or are not in compliance with CRTC and AODA re Fonts and backgrounds.

Bruce

adrian92
I've Been Here Awhile

After I received the Navigatr update the output video had frame drops every 2 minutes or so. By frame drops, I mean that it looks as though my video freezes for half a second and then gets going again.

After a box swap and having a technician come in, I finally figured out that it was the IR extender that I had connected to the box.

Prior to the Navigatr update using the box with an IR extender was fine.

With this new box, after I did a swap, whenever the IR extender is plugged I saw the same frame drops or sometimes even worse such as a prolonged black screen after a channel change. Once I unplug the extender though eventually it's fine.

Anyone else have an IR extender that is experiencing this problem? Will Rogers file this as a bug that will eventually get resolved?

Gerim
I Plan to Stick Around

Adrian92

I have also had and reported this issue but have nothing attached to my PVR. I have reported it and have a ticket on it. However I only experience it 2 or 3 times in each playback. I referred to it as a "fluttering" in my ticket. Didn't know what to call it. 

mg12
I've Been Here Awhile

viewing show that is partly recorded on pvr

mg12
I've Been Here Awhile

I like to record shows on my pvr.  Sometimes I want to begin to view when its only half recorded but I can't seem to do that with the new format.  I had no trouble with this the way it was before.  I also find the guide more difficult to see.  The print is lighter and also the length of show is no longer shown.  Can i return to the old guide?

dc_ott
I've Been Around

I am less than impressed with the new Navigatr system after being "upgraded" a couple of weeks ago.  Things I would like to see changed are:

1) Get rid of the large pictures for all my recordings.  I can read!  Give me a list or at a least an option to view it as a list.  These large pictures take up way too much real estate on the screen.

2) Who in their right mind would design a system where you are deleting programs in a particular section of programs (say a MASH series) and everytime you delete you are taking to the very top of the list of all recording rather than leaving you in that section!!!

3) The lag times are incredible with the new system.  It is not uncommon to wait 5 seconds after selecting something for it to action on it.  Maybe dropping the large pictures (see #1) would improve the peformance.

4) When selecting to record a program, primarily due to the lag time, you can inadverntantly turn off the recording before you leave the selection (which is needlessly complicated as well).

I would like the option to downgrade my system to the previous one until proper testing is done on the new system.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@mg12 wrote:

Can i return to the old guide?

No you cannot.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Customer01 wrote:

@BS wrote:

But do keep an  eye on whether those future recordings that are not in the guide yet to see if they actually get scheduled - sometimes they don't and you will need to delete that future one with nothing in it, and reset the show up again.

Bruce

But why are we all having to double and triple check, redo and check again, all the time?  What kind of a service is this, that we are all paying for?  A stunning failure by Rogers.

@Customer01  - I just spent two days digging through set up scheduled series that were hanging as zombies, and not showing up.  The absence of any information on the zombie scheduled item such as date, time, channel, we really don't know if it has changed, so I now check daily to see if a zombie scheduled item is coming up in the next week and in the guide.  If it is and it hasn't moved up to scheduled, I delete it, then go and choose the one in the guide and completely reset it up.

I agree, why should we have to do all this work and frustration, rather than just enjoying our recorded content. It is very poor design, and they don't seem to either want to admit that they blew it, or even acknowledge that they will look into fixing it.

I had thought I knew every thing about this mess and the workarounds, but this one has me stumped.  Anyone got any suggestions.

And to answer your question directly, this is lousy service we are paying for, each of has our reasons why we have not moved on, while others have, and yes, it is an absolutely stunning failure and no amount of sorries, for inconvience, that we don't like the new interface, and the many other phrases we have heard gives us any answers, or even any acknowledgement that our concerns are valid, or what they are doing to fix them.

Oh well, I and so many others have said the same thing so many times, and we know we hear silence, or sorries, and maybe after 5 months they will fix a couple of things.  We are 2 months in from December, one month from January stop on the power saver, and then there has been another build, which we have never even been told about, or what it was for.  So maybe three more months.

And the worst part for me is that I am not typically a complainer, I have confidence in people and companies to deal with my concerns, and I am a problem solver who can be very patient if I am kept up to date.

So I will compliment all who have expressed their views and been as patient as one could expect.

Bruce

park
I'm an Advisor

@mg12 wrote:

I like to record shows on my pvr.  Sometimes I want to begin to view when its only half recorded but I can't seem to do that with the new format.  I had no trouble with this the way it was before.  I also find the guide more difficult to see.  The print is lighter and also the length of show is no longer shown.  Can i return to the old guide?

Should work fine.

The program being recorded is at the top when you hit [list].

Just go to it and watch.

BTW:  This is one of the fixes in the "new improved" Navgatr over the JULY28 version.

It required you to search out and find the red-dot in your plie-of-tiles and if a series inside a tile.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@Marchend wrote:

Without going through 133 pages of posts has there been any feedback from Rogers on the glaring issues with the new Navigator system?

Quite simply, no.