Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Yesterday, I posted concerns about the new NEXTBOX Navigator in an email to Rogers Support... see below.

Turns out, my concerns are very similar to ones posted back more than 6 months ago (see New Nextbox Navigator thread)

Happily, I did receive a very polite phone call from Rogers.

Yes, they had heard of my concerns and there were people like me who didn't like the new user interface but there were many that did.

She mentioned that they are always making improvements.  

I asked when my particular issues would be discussed.  She did not have a date for this.

Based on the 6 months of idleness on these issues, I can pretty well assume that no improvements are coming.

Dear Rogers IT,  the new interface is not an improvement to what I had. And I will be voting with my feet.

===========

Can I reset  my NEXT box to the old User Inferface ... Please.

The new NEXT user interface is pretty poor.

Here's what I liked about the old versus what the new interface does
1) It was faster ... and way faster to move around when looking at "recordings". I guess those useless images of what the recording is gets in the way of speed.
2) You are now mixing Recordings with ones that exist already and ones that are scheduled. (when you list sorted by most recent). The old way was simpler and less confusing. Don't assume that I am confused. Let me give you a specific example: A 'scheduled' recording is listed as "New" on the picture even though, on that day, the recording hasn't been made yet. Confusing is what I would describe this as ... actually, its more misleading.
3) When I looked, in the old version, for something to watch, I would sometimes choose based on the amount of time I wanted to spend. In the new system, you need to (a) scroll across/down to this (remember the slow speed I mentioned earlier), then (b) select it and (c) wait for the full description to show up. Now, don't assume that everything I record is a hour long - it isn't. Some are movies, some are british crime on PBS or TVO that last more than an hour.

And now a comment on the "more like this" feature.
4) Your "more like this" listing is hilarious. I had recorded E.O Wilson: Of Ants and Men. The "More like this" listing was (left to right): "Beeba Boys", "Scortch trials", "Minions", a "Mission impossible". What's even funnier, just prior to doing this, I had gone in "Search" using the alphabet listing. I typed in "AGX" and these same 4 listings, in exactly the same sequence, also appeared.
5) the"Guide" listing has changed. But not for the better. The text appears more separated however it also appears smaller. And, (a) the vertical timeline distorts the letters that it covers so that they are more illegible. And, at least on my flatscreen, the bottom listing is missing a small portion of the lettering making it harder to read.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@Frustrated5 wrote:

My husband and I hate Navigator.

1.  Cannot get pertinent information without going into the selection.

2.  Cannot read entire title.

3.  Pictures take up a lot of room.

4.  Everything loads very slowly because of the pictures.

5.  We have whole home and two PVRs.  We can no longer see a separate listing of my husband's recordings and my recordings.  We may as well get rid of one PVR.  IMPORTANT!!!!

6.  It will only play or delete when it is in the right mood (full moon?) so my PVR is filling up because it is so difficult to get it to cooperate.

7. If something has been preempted, it used to be easy to follow along the course of what has been taped on a specific channel.  This is now very difficult if not impossible.

8. It takes many steps to do something that once happened quickly and easily.

9.  When I talk to tech support, I am told that if I simply undertood how to use it, things would be fine.  I do understand.  No amount of undertanding would help this mess.

I could list more but is there a point?  I have asked for someone to phone me with a solution but no one calls.

I am paying for services that I no longer receive.

Congratulations on getting through to tech support.  I would rather talk directly to them than use this Forum, because the Forum doesn't seem like we are getting anywhere.  These problems have been mentioned over and over, and this thread is so long, but new people keep joining because the Navigatr issues continue.  If the tech dept really thinks that it is a matter of knowing how to use it, then all is lost, because then it will not be changed.  

Mediaman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Customer01 wrote:

@Mediaman  Sorry, where is the idea box?  I do like your ideas.  

I think you have since found it, but for the benefit of others, the link to the Roger Idea Box is on the Community Forums page, mid way down, where the lightbulb icon is. Direct link is here:  Rogers Idea Box

The more "likes" that are given via the arrow beside the suggestion, the more Rogers might consider them.

My three pet peeves this month, which they can easily fix, are:

Navigtr List screen needs to show date/time/channel being recorded

Persistent links on LIST page to Navigtr to filter and sort

List subscribed cable channels

rgottinger

There are definitely usability issues that is obvious but there is no point in sending directives to the Rogers IT department. The Navigatr development and likely the design was done by a third party contractor named Espial. You need to bend management's ear although since there is likely a contract between the two parties the support team will do only the minimum. One of the many reasons I hated using contracting firms

Mediaman

@rgottinger wrote:

There are definitely usability issues that is obvious but there is no point in sending directives to the Rogers IT department. The Navigatr development and likely the design was done by a third party contractor named Espial. You need to bend management's ear although since there is likely a contract between the two parties the support team will do only the minimum. One of the many reasons I hated using contracting firms

Dunno about all that, but I figure it cant hurt, The Idea Box guidelines do say "The most popular ideas, as selected by users, may be reviewed by Rogers for their business potential and viability. We will update users on the status of the most popular ideas and any product or business developments linked to the idea or its comments."

rgottinger

And the Idea Box was a great suggestion. Where the suggestions end up going is a whole other story. After all you did highlight a significant statement "The most popular ideas, as selected by users, may be reviewed by Rogers for their business potential and viability. " "May be reviewed" and "business potential and viability" are loaded statements. Things that were implemented that some people just don't like probably fall to the wayside when viability comes into play. Bugs should be fixed especially if everyone has the experience but some things that have been identified like runaway recordings, freezing and constant rebooting i have never seen.

teragram
I Plan to Stick Around

According to a Facebook post, all suggestions and ideas regarding Navigatr are forwarded to the Rogers Centre of Excellence. I wonder if this is a newly created department! LOL!

njd
I Plan to Stick Around

Issues with NB3.

Navigatr PVR should show, in addition to date, and station ID the day (Mon, Tues, ...) time, duration and channel number (7, 9, 522...) of a recorded show and a scheduled recording.

If I'm watching a TV show and decide to record it, for esample I have to leave in the middle, I should have the ability to get the entire show recorded and not just record the show going forward from when I pushed "record" after all, I'm in a position where I can "rewind"...

Regards...

rgottinger

The not being able to record the entire show when it has already started is not an NB3 issue. That was there before the rollout of Navigatr on many stations

alanjohn1
I Plan to Stick Around

So whereas previously I was able with one click to see ALL of my pre-scheduled programs for at least a week ahead or longer, now I have been forced to go to each INDIVIDUAL program folder to see if and when that particular program is scheduled for!!!

With approximatley 12 programs pre-scheduled this is now a very laborious and time consuming process!!

Also while I was watching a recorded program I was previously able to click on the OK button to bring up the program information and time lapsed and remaining.

Rogers has really moved backwards to the dinosaur age!!

Here are my concerns with the new Navigator:

1.  Font size on GUIDE screen is too small.

2.  PVR list option should group all shows by name, not by name and channel.

3.  In PVR list, there should be an option to turn off the large picture/icons and revert to a simple list.

4.  In PVR list, when you exit a show and go back to the recordings listing, you should go back to where you left off, not back up to the top of the list.

5.  In PVR list, there does not appear to be an option to EASILY screen out scheduled recordings.   Most of the time, when I am in the LIST option, I only want to see what has been recorded. 

Espo035
I've Been Here Awhile

Any idea when the Ottawa area will be getting the update?

@thegrieves wrote:

Here are my concerns with the new Navigator:

1.  Font size on GUIDE screen is too small.

2.  PVR list option should group all shows by name, not by name and channel.

3.  In PVR list, there should be an option to turn off the large picture/icons and revert to a simple list.

4.  In PVR list, when you exit a show and go back to the recordings listing, you should go back to where you left off, not back up to the top of the list.

5.  In PVR list, there does not appear to be an option to EASILY screen out scheduled recordings.   Most of the time, when I am in the LIST option, I only want to see what has been recorded. 

Agree except  add a bit to #5 We'd like to know EASILY know whats scheduled as well.

and of course

6. CC should be a heck of a lot easier. Preferably one button ino matter where we  are: live TV, recorded program, ON demand etc..

@Espo035 wrote:

Maybe a rogers mod can confirm.. but i thought that it was rolled out completely?

Older boxes on SARA will not get it.

No error messages on the front of the box?

Hello @Espo035,

Welcome to the community!

@Gdkitty is correct, all Navigatr rollouts have been completed, as of last week Friday.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

If you have not yet received the update, then it would be due to a technical problem.  As mentioned, is there any error message being generated on the front of the box? 

Please let us know.

RogersCilio

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Espo035 wrote:

Be careful what you wish for. Most of us would really prefer we didn't get this forced update. Certainly will never call it an up"grade" that's for sure.

Be content while you can. Once you are updated you will wish you hadn't been. 

regtiessen
I've Been Around

Navigatr is slow and cumbersome when using the PVR.  Very frustrating.  If there is a new set top box coming out it had better have a faster processor(assuming that is the current problem).  A poorly conceived idea.  You should give an option for classic so that we can opt out of this.

@regtiessen wrote:

Navigatr is slow and cumbersome when using the PVR.  Very frustrating.  If there is a new set top box coming out it had better have a faster processor(assuming that is the current problem).  A poorly conceived idea.  You should give an option for classic so that we can opt out of this.

Which box model do you current have?

This software IS slow on the 8642 model PVRs.  But it is fast on the newer Nextbox3, the 9865. 
It has been out for over a year now.
If you are renting, this is something you could easily switch too (other than you have to watch all your recordings first off the old one)

rgottinger

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. I may not like some of the 'enhacements' but i don't notice Navigatr is slower than the old guide at all. I have a 9865HD and it operates fine.

rgottinger

Very true and that is why the development team should have tested on hardware that is not the newest out there as well.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

it's REALLY slow on my terminals which are Explorer 8600s

I have time to go get a much needed drink after clicking the "guide" button