Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Future recordings with no item in guide yet didn't set up recording tonight

Tonight, four shows, NCIS, NCIS New orleans, Limitless were originally way down at the bottom with no recordings or future recordings recorded. These would usually get picked up as new recordings with the red dot in future recordings once the shows came off hiatis.  Only 3 weeks by the way - 

Fortunately we noticed it, because this is one of our heaviest recording nights.  We had to set up new recordings.

For the one that was already about 10 minutes in, we did one recording on it, found a time shift one and got the whole one scheduled.  So we will have to go in later this week once the guide is up to date and set up the series again, then delete all the redundancy.

One possibility, one show was 1 minute late starting, but another was 2 minutes, and it did record and it was already set up for recording.

Go figure - there are days, I just want to give it all up.  There doesn't seem to be any logic here - time to do a proactive reboot and see if I can clear things up that way.

Have had this happen before, but first time I have it happen on three shows in one night.  Hadn't caught when the show was coming back on and that it was not in the future recordings.  Have to watch this like a hawk.

Bruce

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

@DrMike wrote:

@joeyo wrote:

Hey there,

Not sure if this is a bug or simply a "forgotten feature" of the previous guide software but now when I select "Set a Reminder" on a future program it doesn't auto tune to that channel if I don't interact with the Pop-Up.

Is this by design? If so can it be designed-back lol This was really handy as I would typically set a reminder for a program while doing work on the computer. When the program started I knew right away without having to look at the TV since it auto-tuned and I can hear the theme song to the program I'd like to watch. Then, of course, I could enjoy my program 🙂

I've done this a few times now and each time I've missed the program or caught it late since my attention was elsewhere and didn't hear the familiar theme. Very sad times 😞 No clue why this feature was removed in the updated Navigator.

I and at least one other poster have noted the same thing. As it stands now, the "set reminder" may as well be removed because it is useless. Unless you are right in the room with remote in hand there is no point. And even at that, if you choose, "watch now" it will truncate the show you are watching and you will lose the last minute or two when it switches over immediately.

Utter pointless piece of programing that defeats the purpose of having it.....

You can set MILLIONS of reminders HOWEVER you have to be IN FRONT OF YOUR TV with your remote so you can hit "Okay" if you happen to see the contrast-challanged (grey on grey" (?)) alert that your program (that you needed the reminder for) is about to begin. If you do NOT hit okay, it will stay on the same channel and the reminder will be lost....

I find this requires my having to use my brain and alarm clocks (instead of assumig that my NAVIGATR would be people-oriented and realize if I am right there, waiting for the reminder, (IMO) loses its effectiveness because I had to remember the reminder.....

I assume though that since this feature is STILL WITH US, it is VERY POPULAR and my perspective and opinion are ALL WRONG.

Oh well

Thank you!

P.S. I do NOT get a sound telling me that a reminder (requiring MY input) is there???

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

[...]

As for the merging of threads... I have seen this before on other forums too (blizzard forums and some other game/software dev forums)
And for their same reasons I can see why here.

To the user end, I can see how it could be frustrating if key words are not being picked up to find the exact thing.

But from a getting the complaints LOOKED AT by a developer or whoever needs too to actually get it looked at makes sense.

Any issues around a particular thing (this case navigatr as a whole) they can just dump the one whole thread to look at everything in one spot.

Otherwise, it would be potentially 50-100 different threads all spread out, trying to find what needs to be collected.

I do wish it at least was maybe 3-4 threads, at least separate more some of the key issues. Like I think they have left the CC issues separated.

Hi,

I am not suggesting EVERY new subject. What I meant was when the "New" subject is unique enough to stand alone, it could be the title of a new thread as a “SUB-CATEGORY”

Example: CATEGORY I is: "Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/Janua..."

and

"SUB-CATAGORIES" (E.G. I guess (IMO) CC could be a sub-category)

I know redundancy is a major no-no but (IMO) since messages have already been merged under the BIG UMBRELLA, a copy should remain where it is (with NO ability to add to it  AND have the link to the new thread...... An exception to the redundancy rule).

I did not know about the CC category and would not have known if you hadn’t posted this info!

IMO the best way to do this, is RIGHT when it is posted....to avoid confusing ME further!

Thank you

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

Is it possible to see the dates of recorded programs in the list?
With the Navigatr guide, you can open each recording to see the date and time of the recorded show.

The above is in the FAQ.  When I open the recording I do NOT get the time of the show, only the date.   Not when it's just a single show.  Nor does it show the length of the recording.

When there are several shows in a tile, then opening the tile reveals all the details of the recordings, in a list.

That is what is needed for EVERY recording.  How can I identify the show if I don't know the time of the recording, for instance, if it was the Australian Open, and there are multiple recordings every day on several channels at several different times?  Each show would be a different tile, it's not a series!  Can you imagine about 10 new recorded tiles every day, plus all the tiles for the scheduled recordings for a week, about 50?  All the tiles looking the same?  Then when I start trying to watch, I have no idea which time of the day I am looking at, or if it is a 2 hour or 10 hour recording?  This will be a HUGE problem if it is not fixed soon.

Rogers moderator, does Rogers have any intention of fixing this?   Better still, BRING BACK THE LISTS.   They have all the info needed, and less steps to get things done.  

And by the way, fix your FAQ.  The person writing it was not actually using the Guide, clearly.

Please be sure to pass this on up the chain, thank you.

The new Rogers TV Guide is very disappointing.  Layout and failure to customize the layout of the channels, favorites list and most importantly the PVR is a major let down.

More beta testing would have been beneficial - as the "tech guy" in my family of 8, ranging from kids to seniors, I teach everyone in the house how to use the TV.  This newest guide has been received poorly thus far.

In future, I offer my services for app and guide updates testing.  I consider myself an advance user who likes to become proficient in every aspect of TV, phone and internet service while also helping others familiarize themselves with Rogers products.

Kind regards,

- Ryan 

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@DrMike wrote:

Okay, so I have just come across to another "enhancement".

I'm guessing that this one has been detailed more than once already, but honestly I am not prepared to browse through over 1000 posts in an amalgam of ideas to see if this duplicates other posts, so my apologies in advance for those of you that have already noted this.

In the old system when you pressed the green list button it would take you to your recorded programs. If you pressed the list button ONCE again and it gave you a full listing of all of your scheduled recordings. So with one additional button press you got the full listing of your scheduled recordings arranged chronologically.

My wife wanted to do the same with the new system and couldn't figure out how. I played around for a few moments and saw that there is a way to see a full listing of the schedule recordings but it requires no less than EIGHT additional button presses to get the same result.

First you have to go to the little red "C" button in order to filter or sort your choices. Then you have to press downward to get to the toggle of show all recordings versus show scheduled recordings. Then you have to press upward again to get to the radio button that says save changes (even though it doesn't save anything) and then finally you get to see your list of scheduled recordings.

In total there are eight additional button presses compared to one additional button press prior to this "enhancement".

That might be tolerable if the "save and close" actually saved anything for future, but of course it doesn't change the default behaviour at all. It basically should just say "apply" or some other nonsense because the notion of saving is a concept that seems to be beyond the developers. So every single time I want to see a list of my schedule recordings I have to do nine total button presses instead of two.

THAT'S PROGRESS! THAT'S ENHANCEMENT!   YAY!!

Here's the other DUMB part of that process:  when after about 6 button presses, you finally have chosen Scheduled Recordings from that Filter menu, you don't press Select.  No, you have to press two more times to get to the Save button and THEN press select.  That is terrible programming!  Every item in the menu should work the same way, so Select should work on each item.  There should not be a Save button as part of the menu.  It's not saved anyway.

The more I use this, the worse it gets.  The worse it gets, the more I look forward to starting with a new provider.

Mediaman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not find the answer. 

With the new navigtr, how do I view my scheduled recordings ( the ones that have not started recording yet)?

All I can currently see is old recordings,  or recordings in progress, but I cannot see the future scheduled ones. 

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

@jays77 wrote:

Just checked it out and the CC workaround still works.

Thanks jays77. I also received the 0132 update last night and also confirm the CC workaround still works. Thank goodness. Now, what was RogersHelps talking about? When they get to the point of specifiying a change that supposedly comes with a specific version you would think they would know what they are talking about especially when they claim it breaks a workaround to a problem that is 6 months old. If you ask me, the RogersHelps twitter agent was not aware of the CC workaround and was just shooting from the hip.

Sad.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@billw64 wrote:

Replying to Bruce, who said:

"Now, I will go back to workarounding the product and enjoy the content, not the experience.  That makes a good true slogan for the current product.

We have not changed your content, so please do enjoy it, but we have not improved your experience in getting to your content."

Well said! I am sick to death of hearing how Navigatr is going to "improve" my "experience".

Right on!  I just found the letter they sent a while back touting the new system.  It was an incredibly deceitful thing to do, getting expectations up, when it was nowhere near ready for release.  They already had the experience of the initial release being such a mess, you'd think they would have been more cautious.   But they just don't care, and they'll say anything to appear better than the competition.

Steelheader
I Plan to Stick Around

Enough!!!

We have heard from an enormous and growing number of dissatisfied customers about a myriad of issues that have made the once simple process of watching television both frustrating and draining. No help. No answers. No positives.

Yet we continue to post concerns in a feeble attempt for answers "hoping" someone is listening and changes are in play.

For the many of us out there and the community experts who have done a great job keeping us informed as best be, how can we amass to make an impact to the people who make decisions. Can we put together an effective force in a form that will be heard. 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

There in lies the problem with this giant thread - I know the answer is in here, but I could never find it to link it to you unless I have a few hours - I think we have put just about everything possible forward by now - How about Rogers - yes Rogers, not the users summarize all of these into FAQ's.  This may already be in the FAQ's, or videos - it was an enhancement over the July version, but not over the pre Navigatr version.

Let me try

With the new navigtr, how do I view my scheduled recordings ( the ones that have not started recording yet)?

Go to list, push the red c, click down 3 times to show all recordings, switch it by left or right arrow to show scheduled recordings - these will only be the ones that have an information and is present in the guide at that time (6 days forward I think, or whenever the update of the guide comes down - I have never figured that one out).

Go two arrow clicks to save filter settings - does not save, just in this session, the sort by alfpha and most recent saves, but will be lost with a reboot.

Easy, huh - not!

If people can't remember how to do this with all the messages on it, then it is not intuitive or obvious.  So many different ways to look at the list view and finding recording items, that it all begins to muddle.

Almost need to start printing these into our own personal FAQ file as we learn them.

A further comment on the recordings with no dates though - I had a total of 7 shows that were at the bottom that would have recorded tonight or in the next two days.  I removed the bottom ones, and redid the future recordings for them, since I lost three tonight, that I did as one offs.

On the weekend, I will go in and reset the three NCIS shows up again, remove the one offs, and the ones hanging down in the bottom and try to get the database index of future recordings reset.

If not there, you can go back to all recordings and find them at the bottom - but from my experience tonight, I wouldn't always trust them - within a couple days before the showing, it should move from the bottom to scheduled recordings.

So much double and triple checking is necessary to reliably get our showings recorded and in synch, and even then, it is not reliable.

There exists issues related to this stuff in the old box, but it was easier to get to the information and to delete erroneous ones when we found them.  Now we go to the bottom, check if it needs to be deleted, delete it, and then we go back to the top, then have to go down 10 rows in my case to do the next one.

So much fun.

Bruce

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

@DrMike wrote:

Are there ANY new (good) features of Navigatr?

I asked this question yesterday, not as a joke but to seriously wonder why Rogers is so committed to this. I can't see any new features or actual enhancements over the previous system. Does ANYONE have a good point or two to make for Navigatr? Just wondering.

@Gdkitty

@OLDYELLR

@BS

@RogersHassam

@RogersMargaret

ANYONE? Please enlighten me.

Well, you can set the brightness of the LED display now, so its got that going for it. Smiley Wink

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@mpfc75 Take a look here, at twitter, your private chats, facebook, talk to a rep, to support, or up the chain to OOP, I think most of the time they are just shooting from the hip.

Wonder what that small upgrade was intended to do - it would be real nice if they told us, we could then test it directly since we still are the unpaid, unsupported, beta testers with no way to communicate and move forward easily.

So any bets on when we see the next major upgrade - the new nextbox 4k is on different platform of Cisco, so they may actually get it all right when the PVR comes there, but as for here, 5 months last time, 2 months and two updates later, we have not seen much, except this new build that we get mixed messages on, we don't know what was changed, doesn't seem that the reps really know either - wonder if they get to test boxes before they start giving support? Oh yeh, and they did a removal of the power off feature that was killing so many boxes and causing continual freezing.

And I wonder if there were changes in all the other components that were updated in January, or were these just recompiles, just for good measure.

Bruce

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

they sent out secific mailings.. and put it in just about every bill for over TWO years.. and yet there were people who were blindsided by it, or didnt understand the impact, etc).

Paperless billing... I didn't see any monthly notice for two years. Just sayin.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@Steelheader wrote:

Enough!!!

We have heard from an enormous and growing number of dissatisfied customers about a myriad of issues that have made the once simple process of watching television both frustrating and draining. No help. No answers. No positives.

Yet we continue to post concerns in a feeble attempt for answers "hoping" someone is listening and changes are in play.

For the many of us out there and the community experts who have done a great job keeping us informed as best be, how can we amass to make an impact to the people who make decisions. Can we put together an effective force in a form that will be heard. 

Wouldn't that be great, if there was some way.  Rogers is a business, we are the customers. Yes, it is a very big organisation, but I think the usual principles apply:  if you don't like a product or service, go elsewhere.  As consumers, that is really our only option, especially given the way we are being treated.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@mpfc75 If you look at the electronic bill in PDF forms, you will find these announcements, typically once, but if you go from the online version only, you need to know where to look for it - don't remember where - I never look at the online stuff - I use the PDF form, so it is easily missed - when it was in mail, I sometimes didn't see it because there were so many other ads and stuff in there, and I often tossed them.

But I do get a paper version of the changes of prices - that one is required by CRTC.

There have been so many changes in so many things this past year in billing, TV, Internet modems, related apps on computers, tablets, phones, changing packages, pricing, changing names of packages and services, the addition of so many value added items, most of which I don't use anyway - it gets kind of difficult to keep up, even with notices.

Bruce

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@Mediaman wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not find the answer. 

All I can currently see is old recordings,  or recordings in progress, but I cannot see the future scheduled ones. 

Use the Filter button, the red C on the top right.  You'll find it in that menu.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Unfortunately, that is the only thing they seem to listen to, and at the moment, they don't change, they just charge more for tier 1 and tier 2 customers with value added items, so more revenue with less customer base. This was stated by the President in a public financial report or interview, can't remember which it was recently.

Until it becomes uncompetetive in terms of quality and price, and for of those who have not gotten over our past experiences with the competitors, or are just loyal, for personal reasons, we keep hanging on.

But as I have said before, we can only take so much, and I think we will see the truth in the figures in the April reports now that the new interface is out to every customer, not a small group.

Bruce

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

@BS wrote:

@mpfc75 If you look at the electronic bill in PDF forms, you will find these announcements, typically once, but if you go from the online version only, you need to know where to look for it - don't remember where - I never look at the online stuff - I use the PDF form, so it is easily missed - when it was in mail, I sometimes didn't see it because there were so many other ads and stuff in there, and I often tossed them.

But I do get a paper version of the changes of prices - that one is required by CRTC.

There have been so many changes in so many things this past year in billing, TV, Internet modems, related apps on computers, tablets, phones, changing packages, pricing, changing names of packages and services, the addition of so many value added items, most of which I don't use anyway - it gets kind of difficult to keep up, even with notices.

Bruce

Oh yes, I read the notices in the PDF version of my bill. I was just noting that if Rogers was sending inserts in the paper bill for two years about Navigatr then those of us who went paperless did not get the info. I'm happy I didn't - the communications that I did get prior to Jul28 got me excited for the new PVR software. Had I been eagerly awaiting Navigatr for two years the depth of my disappointment would be immense. Smiley Embarassed

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I can't remember if I already posted it, but in reviewing the last list by roxandtree (I think) - he actually isn't a user anymore, he moved on.

I found that the developers/programmers responded quite literally to about 40% of the items (approximation), I am trying to summarize the list, about 30% got fixed, but are still inconvienent, in that the bug got fixed, but the poor design remained and about 30% had no change.

And now we have the new list - when I have a chance in the next week or so, I will post my summary of the changes that came in December.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I recall that it is the change to the digital adapter so you can still run analogue devices DTA 50 I think it is called, and that some people still got caught by surprise, even though the issue was reported in messages for about 2 years.

But some cable users only get only a couple bills per year, so they may not have seen them, or just forgot them, or maybe didn't actually understand the issue until it finally happened.

We started hearing about Navigtr in June if I recall, not much advance notice at all.

Bruce