Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Good luck, @Don_T, but I don't expect a-la-carte of just the channels you normally watch will be any cheaper than a package that has them included, probably a whole lot more. The pricing will be worked out so the BDU doesn't make any less money.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

njd
I Plan to Stick Around

It doesn't show the day or time of a recording. It shows a date, but is that Sunday or Monday? It doesn't show what channel a recording was on, like was that channel 7 or 9 or 514? The icons are pretty, but I prefer just a list. I'd also like to have recorded and scheduled recordings in separate lists...

Also, the search function is working intermittently. Sometimes I can search for a program and sometimes there's just not data available even though the TV guide has been downloaded

I sure hope Navigatr will have some upgrades very soon. This is just pathetic...

njd
I Plan to Stick Around
How do you tell which version of Navigatr you got???

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

@njd wrote:
How do you tell which version of Navigatr you got???

Using your remote:

1. Press "Settings"
  2. From Settings, select "Troubleshooting". It is at the bottom of the settings list but not visible when you first go to settings. You can either use the arrow button to go up (and wrap around) or arrow down.
  3. From Troubleshooting move down to "System Information"

There you will see the info. I have:

• Software Version 6.0.0.0131
  • UI Version 17334/28392
  • Classic Version 60.00.16
  • VOD - Tier 3 Version 60.00.14

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@mpfc75 wrote:

@Don_T wrote:
Do they offer work arounds or do they just say that the software can't do it?

@I've sent them quite a few tweets and read lots of Navigatr tweets from other customers.  From my observation, @RogersHelps will either send the customer to:

1. the FAQs (which as we know are out of date and also somewhat inaccurate)
  2. the recorded videos (which are very well produced but skirt around the issues we have been encountering)
  3. this Community Forum to read thru 1000+ posts to hope to find their answer

Or they say they are sorry the customer isn't enjoying the new Navigatr and tell them their comments are being forwarded on to the support group.

Rarely, if ever, do I see a correct workaround described. But as we know there are few workarounds anyway.

Funny thing, on the weekend I saw a tweet from a customer asking how to turn CC on for recorded shows. RogersHelps asked them if they had tried enabling CC prior to recording.  I offered the workaround (go to live tv, turn on CC, go back to recorded show) and I was told by RogersHelps that that didn't work on the latest version of Navigatr. I told them I was on software version 6.0.0.0131 and they said I wasn't on the lastest version which they said was 0132.

I still don't have 0132 but I asked tweeted them "You mean the very latest #navigatr update breaks the workaround to the CC problem that has existed for over 6 months?" No reply to that tweet.

Anybody on 6.0.0.0132 and can test if the CC workaround is now broken?

Just checked it out and the CC workaround still works.

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Every time Bell calls i hear the same sort packages and pricing as well as all kinds of additional hardware fees and rentals if you have more than 3 tvs which isn't hard if there are kids in the house. The pricing ends up just as expensive

1945mdh
I Plan to Stick Around

@rgottinger

Just as expensiove - sometimes more so. But it might actually work

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

In our case definitely more expensive and it might work isn't good enough once a contract is involved

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most of the issues in this thread surround the PVR funtionality. I've also noticed that the guide has changed in one aspect.  It used to be that if you were at a certain time of day in the guide (not the current time of day), then if you switched to a different day, you'd be at the same time you were in the guide.  Now, instead it goes to the current time.

This is a bit of an issue for me since I do much of my scheduling just after midnight. I may go to 4PM to schedule a recording, When I'm finished with that, I may wish to record the same programme on the next day (using single recording). If I change the date, I'm taken to the current time, which would be midnight. I then have to scroll to 4PM again. 

I don't know why they changed how this furnctions from RTN to Navigatr. When you're used to doing something one way and they change it, it means extra work until you get used to the "new way".  Now you need to remember to choose the correct day first, then go to the time of your programme.  Most of my scheduling I do via AnyPlace or the App, so no biggie, but I just thought I'd mention it.   Anyplace "stays" on the guide time (say 4PM), not the current time if switching days.  It would be good if it worked in a similar manner on all the various interfaces.

Edit - I have just learned elsewhere that if you use the day+ or day- buttons you remain in the same timeslot.  I have no idea why I never used those buttons (until now).  I was probably happy with using the "B - GoTo" option.

malcolmd
I Plan to Stick Around

There doesn't seem to be a "set recording manually" function - if there is one, I haven't found it.

Changes always take a while to get used to, but this set of changes has both reduced functionality and, in many cases, increased the number of steps to do something. Also, as others have noted, the icons for recorded shows do not provide much useful information.  Did Rogers test these "features" with focus groups, I wonder.

jjmartin
I Plan to Stick Around

When I am viewing a recording, and either fast forward or pause, when I resume viewing the progress bar stays on screen for 7 seconds. This is ridiculous. When it was paused or going fast forward, the bar is on the screen, so I know where I am in the recording. I do NOT need to have part of the screen blocked for 7 seconds after I resume viewing. The only better thing about Navigatr is it blocks less of the screen than the old display, which blocked 1/3 of the screen. Rogers: PLEASE do NOT display the progress bar when I'm viewing a recording!

jjmartin
I Plan to Stick Around

When I want to choose a recording to watch, I am presented with a screen full of pictures instead of a simple printed list. The pictures are harder to read, and often do not match the recording (for example, my recordings of Mayday, which are about plane crashes, have a picture that appears to be about a romantic movie). Rogers: PLEASE give me the option of NOT displaying pictures of my recorded programs.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@jays77  I checked this morning and yes, my version is now  on 6.0.0.0132.  In addition, it appears that all compenent builds were recompiled dated January 20th, 2016. By the way, you can see all component build numbers and compilation dates by pushing the esc button for about 2-3 seconds until the power light starts to flash (found on the box display), then push the down arrow twice, then push the number 2, a diagnostic screen will come up - move down to +Manufacturer Diag found in the list on the left (have to comment - this is what a list is - will we next see these in boxes too - just making a joke to keep humour in this whole mess); push the select/ok key, go down to Component Info and you see all the compenent current build and complile dates.

Another side comment - the QTWebkit is TBD - here is Espial's presentation of the WebKit  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpbkHfBwv5c  If you watch it and the one that follow the next one, you will see how the Espial IPTV and other features work that are not in place at this point (probably because the Rogers back end is not ready for it yet) This is where Espial's strength lies - it is on my Sony Bluetooth smart tv functions for choosing settings, and content, for youtube and others.  This is where Espial would like to take us all, but Rogers isn't ready yet on the infrastructure or the settop box side, and to add to the mess is the sale of Videoscape - but I digress a bit, but probably provides some insights of just why we are suffering/stuggling through the current iterations)

Back to the testing of the CC workaround - yes, they have done something to change things so that we have to workaround differently, but I also do find that the workaround still works, but inconsistently.

Last week, the regular work around for CC as we and others have documented it, that all you needed to do with recordings was turn on the CC from live TV either by stopping your recording, or turning it on before you started watching, you saw the cc and I have never had to start cc before starting the recordings.

But yes, you are correct, the workaround no longer works.  I haven't turned on cc in a few days - I have a hearing impairment in my left ear and when people sit on my left side and talk, I need to turn on the cc, but when by myself and my wife or others are silent, it is not an issue.

But I did notice today when I tried to watch a recorded show from last week, when I turned on cc, all I got was garbled text and yes it was on a CTV channel. It worked fine a week ago on all channels that I watched anyway.  

Today, to test, I recorded a ctv channel - the view for a few minutes without cc turned on, then I watched it and turned on cc and it was fine, but the garbelling is gone.

I did try to look at some past recordings with cc, and the CTV show lucifer recorded at 9 pm just had flashing pieces of CC text or garbled information.

I could test this further, but lets be honest, remembering to turn on cc before recording is a rediculous solution - one you have to remember to do it, two, what happens on a series recording - it is recording by definition, usually when we aren't watching - that is why I set series recording, to capture all shows that I may or may not watch live.

So I don't know if the program has been changed to having to record - that is certainly what reps on twitter, phone in and chat and facebook have been telling us for a long time - now with the upgrade - which they never told us was coming - by the way, did they change anything else including the changes in the recompiled other components from November to January and haven't told us.

And had they even picked a few off this board and pushed it to us to test, we could have told you that it wasn't a good solution - and yess I would sign a Non-disclosure agreement for the testing - anything to get this thing working with some reasonable level of sanity.

So how about taking us back to version 0131 and the other components to take it back to where the workaround worked, and you can program a routine to call the workaround if it is as appears that there seems to be some big issues with how cc access works on the three key components of the product and the info button.

I will leave it for others to do further testing, and I hope this gets back to designers and programmers.  Or is it just that the program is just so limited in its capability to interface now that Cisco has dropped support and there is technicolour, that some things just can't be done and will only exist as workarounds, or not at all.

Uggh, what else can I say. I had promised myself and my family and therapist that I wouldn't let this stuff work me up, so I realize I am getting worked up, so I will leave it to the many other high knowledgeable users and highly intuitive users to make suggestions and build workarounds - but, please, please, please, Rogers development and bug fix teams - run it by real users first -  they would have said, ok, good start, but not ready for live yet - seems to have removed the garbling.

The killer here on this release is that there was an attempt to deal with garbling - by the way, it still makes no sense to me - the cc is part of the live video streams, why does the box not record these properly - or maybe it doesn't or can't do it reliably, so exists the programmed workaround of turning on the cc before recording starts - which is also a no go because all of our series recordings are done without user intervention.

Keep trying - but may I suggest they roll back to 0131 and roll other components back if necessary.  If there are things you put in this recompiling and new build, then tell us, but keep working on this one - you are not done yet.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

And the comments that someone made about the response to us saying we hate it, or list off all things that don't work well, where on twitter and facebook, they say, Oh I am sorry you don't like our new interface, I will pass it to the team, or thank you for the feedback, or is there anything I can help you with.

Uh duuh - yes obviously we don't like it, along with so many others, I don't believe that anyone is sorry about our displeasure - it clearly is a scripted response, and the response is actually just somewhat disrespectful of the whole list that someone just gave - it is like the old, sorry for the inconvienence - fortunately that one got dropped.  

Here on the forum, we usually don't see these responses, because although the forum staff are listening and passing them on to a group that we have no access to or are we kept up to date on what they are doing, at least we don't get responded to in the above way like on twitter and Facebook.  I prefer the silence, although I don't like it, to apologies that result in no true response or no timely changes.  The responses are basically empty apologies.

Just my opinion.

But, again, if you are going to make changes in builds, could someone please tell us when it comes and what it is to do, since we remain the poor beta users, even on the attempts to fix.  That way we aren't surprised, we don't get into disagreements with tech people who know about changes, but we don't, we are still working on past knowledge, and then we go back, try their solutions we just learned about, and then we come back with our concerns or how it is actually not necessarily better like the CC solution - it appears to have fixed the garbling issue which seemed to start appearing a few weeks ago in the reported issues, so an attempt is made that we then go test and come back with our concerns.

Just tell us, would you (senior management and communications staff, this is not directed at anyone attached to this forum or front line staff) before you release the upgrade.  And please do gather a knowledgeable user group to do the beta testing, and even consider the design implications on the user before you even start programming.

Just looking for quality program design, testing and communications, as we would expect in any IT design and implementation (or at least those of us who have done this for a living, or are very highly trained in the process).

Now, I will go back to workarounding the product and enjoy the content, not the experience.  That makes a good true slogan for the current product.

We have not changed your content, so please do enjoy it, but we have not improved your experience in getting to your content.

Bruce

billw64
I've Been Here Awhile

Replying to the message that says how to see which version you have ...

This assumes there is something displayed on the settings screen. In my case, nada.

BTW, got the update a few days ago AND HATE IT!

billw64
I've Been Here Awhile

Replying to Bruce, who said:

"Now, I will go back to workarounding the product and enjoy the content, not the experience.  That makes a good true slogan for the current product.

We have not changed your content, so please do enjoy it, but we have not improved your experience in getting to your content."

Well said! I am sick to death of hearing how Navigatr is going to "improve" my "experience".

Johnrc123
I Plan to Stick Around

Is there a way to record a *series* from the results of a search? I don't see that option anymore and had to scroll around the guide to find it and select record series from there. 

BTW, the series I used as a test is Late Night with Seth Meyers and perhaps due to CTV's scheduling/channel change, every attempt to record even one episode resulted in setting it to record for Late Late Show James Corden instead. Given the current terrible state of the PVR listings, it's nightmarish attempting to make sense of, and correct, this.

'Record Series' seemed to flash then disappear leaving just the ability to record the episode. 

Any call to tech support announces that the wait time will be at least 30 minutes. I can't spend anymore time on this terrible mess. 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, the wait times for access to chat and tech support are climbing every day.  Reminds me of when they did an infrasture upgrade of Internet over 10 years ago and wait time could be close to two hours - I just hung up one day, called customer service, cancelled my internet and went to Bell.

Even more reason why Rogers needs to get this fixed faster than they currently are, if possible, and to take all the most common questions, and post your standard answers, so that we can actually do technical support like say, I have no signal, or my box has died.

And I suspect the wait times will continue to grow as people move beyond the forum, the social media ways, and decide they want to talk to a real person, if not to just vent and escalate.  People are saying even the report an issue can take time for a call back now, although I haven't experienced any delay on that one yet, but I will be honest, I have not gone to tech support or report an issue on this one for a little while.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Johnrc123  If there is an upcoming show in the guide (ie, the guide items coming from the outside company that populates the guide and future scheduled recordings, you can set a reminder (why bother), and if you choose record, you will be able to set up to record the show - you will then find it in the list of tiles under future recordings, but it is only that date.  If you open the tile, you will be able to change the setup to series.

So yes you can do it, but like most things it is awkward.

I went through my future recordings that I am aware of and did search - some of them came up in the search, some of them didn't, so as we already know, the search function is not consistent, or easy.

By the way, in the video presentation of search to Modern family, they conviently choose to do it with a show that was currently being shown live - had they chosen a future recording time show, you would have seen set reminder, record rather than watch record - so it looks real slick, but covers a scenario that does not reflect real life often.  Modern family, if you know it is currently on, is easier to find in the guide, then record from info, or just watch and push the record button.

So well created marketing video, but to send us to watch it when we have questions, it is kind of useless.

So yes, you can set up a recording from search, but I can't promise you will find the future show in the list - you will probably find a lot of VOD items though.

Add that to the list of undocumented or undemonstrated steps - for the group who are interested in developing these how to tips and tricks tutorials - this is another useful one.

How about assigning a single person to take these as they come and say, couple of times per week, take these workarounds, and add it to the FAQ's.  You must have some skilled programmers sitting around who have good documentation skills, who have little to do while they wait for the people to understand the issue, debug it, redesign it, and then hand it to a programmer.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have used the callback feature twice since December - works for me. My wait times were around 15 minutes and that's when I got called back.

I don't use CC a lot, but I have it turned on (Info-More in a live recording) and use the workaround (CC Tip) I posted earlier to enable/disable it from my recordings:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

If you cannot see settings, do a reboot. If you still don't see it, you likely have an 8642 and the only way to get settings may be to call Rogers and have them perform a Factory Reboot, which will delete all your recordings and settings.

See also:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Johnrc123

Just reread my last post - I must be getting frustrated, or less able to cope again with this whole mess, as I notice that I am adding my commentary to the how to steps.

So redoing it - using my example from my own situation at 1 pm Tuesday.

Push A or use the search from the menu button

Search for Arrow - it is on tonight

In this case, conviently, I only need to enter ar to get it to come up as first item.

I see that the first one in the list is tonight's show.

Date and time, TV HD, HDCTV on 518 at 8-9 PM and the description of the show.

At bottom, set reminder is highlighted in blue. 

And Record, white on black is to the right.

You can choose either.

If you go left to Record and select,

You will now see on the right, the options to record a single showing.

You can set this single recording.

Exit button four times to get back to tv.

Go to list and look for the future recording - if you go into the tile, you will see it is set as a single recording with no future recordings. - you know this because the future recordings tab is not available.

If you want the series, you can select record series on the right at the bottom.

There, your recording is now set up.

Hope that helps.

Bruce