Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

That is the all important question.  Yes, the front line workers, or first, second, or even third tier cannot answer most of our current questions.  It is way above their pay grades and responsibilities.

So suggestion one - when we tell them we have already done that or know that, stop mindlessly following the scripts, and just say you don't know.

There was a time that teams of reps met weekly on mondays and went over all new issues and concerns, suggestions from customers, that team leader then took it to a higher level team that pulled together common issues for all teams, then from there someone or group prioritized and dealt with them.

A simple one that requires no need to go to very high levels of decision levels, is that if customers have confirmed exactly how to work through an issue like CC, then make the decision to change the scripts, change the knowledge base information, and stop telling us things we have heard over and over again, and we keep repeating, that doesn't work, and here is a work around.

In the past, I have had issues moved very fast on a system level because of this process.

But I think Rogers is really floundering at the moment with tech support, keeping how to's and FAQ's current, and are beginning to just send us to the forum - where we just came from, so we just get more frustrated.  

Companies are known to go out of business totally due to letting things get too far out of control and poor implementation of damage control, and being an ostrich is not the solution to moving forward.

I just went through this while out of curiousity I decided to read the Facebook posts.  I found over and over again, when people asked about CC on their PVR or on demand, referring them to a video, or FAQ, on how do the life show settings from info and more.  After reading about 7 of these, I finally started posting the known routines of how to work with turning on and off CC from on demand and PVR recordings.  One of them even said, we have to turn on CC when we record - not true at all, used to be that way at one point.

Lots of misinformation going on and pretty bad when users are telling Rogers support and Facebook moderators and many people are left with misinformation, until someone pitches in and corrects them.

Manuals would be nice to as many have said, but it would be impossible to create a manual on this, it would be a giant trouble shooting section and workaround section, and very small how to based upon how it is supposed to work.  Manuals are first started in the design, engineering, and desk testing, and alpha testing, and finalized after a beta.

We have not finished the beta - we are the beta testers, so there is  no way they can produce a manual.

I really do hope that Rogers senior teams with the implementation and design teams do a very serious lessons learned activity of not just Navigatr, but also the related channel lists, documentation, testing, communication, app designs that interface, and other issues that have come up this year.  There is many things that we and all users have provided feedback on what worked, what didn't work, and what could be done to improve things.  Now that is the real test of whether they have both listened, and learned.

Bruce

park
I'm an Advisor

@mfait wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

You have to understand though..

The people who you are talking to, are just front end workers.

These people CAN NOT make promises that  anything would get fixed.
They do not make those decisions.  They are not the devlopers/programers, etc.

All that those people can do, is pass the information along.

Who do they pass this information to?

Maybe it's time they requested some feedback from these people as to what they plan to fix and when, so that they can provide it to us in this forum.

Navigatr is NOT business as usual. Rogers stopped a launch, went back to the drawing board for 6 months, then took 2+ months to rollout it to everyone.  The customer reaction continues to be strongly negative...

If Rogers mgmt does not read this forum daily. and/orget a precis from the mods 

We are wasting our time and Rogers cable business will continue in freefall.

Only acknowledgement of issues raised and a public plan to fix as detailed a few pages back will change things.

Rogers do you care ?  Please show us.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Clearly what we have all learned, is that communication from this renowned communication company is not one of their strong points.  Marketing and promises and pretending that things aren't happening, or at least not telling any of us that things are happening has not been good.  I don't think they understand just how damaging to customer relationships not keeping the customer, or even your front line staff in the loop can be.

That is another thing they need to seriously consider how they will change in order that we can trust any future implementations of any type of new technology.

Bruce

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@scuddycat wrote:

@Rogerscustomer1 wrote:

Having just received this software, it became apparent very quickly how awful it is.  Managing recordings is just a nightmare. Scanning through all the comments online and in this forum, it is astounding to see the responses from Rogers, or should I say lack of response from the company.  They just keep reiterating that they continue to roll it out, they are sorry for any inconvenience, and offer no solutions.  They seem to have swallowed their own Koolaid, believing their own hype about their fabulous new, improved software.  

Well, Rogers, newsflash:  it's a disaster.  I don't believe your "surveys" that say that most people like it.  What surveys?  Who did them?  Who did you ask?  How many?

The old software had problems, but it worked most of the time.  You built up expectations for something better, and wow, have you disappointed your customers.  And then it gets worse, because you are not acknowledging the problems, not giving any indication of what you will do about it, and continuing to send out bills.

The time has come for a senior management person to publicly acknowledge this disaster, and explain what will be done about it.

Please don't acknowlege this note with canned reponses.  Just do something about it.

There have been so many posts written like what you have written above.  I wrote something like that after receiving the update early last week.  After countless calls to Rogers with issues I was having and asking why we lost so much functionality and usability and getting nothing back from them other than:

• denial that they've heard any horror stories,
  • lots of empty apolgies,
  • promises to get a call back from the Office of the President (never received) and
  • lack of acknowledgement that anything is wrong...

not to mention the edited and deleted posts on this very forum because someone didn't like us telling our stories and giving our opinions, it became very clear to me that Rogers isn't listening to us and isn't going to do anything to help us.

I continue to read posts from people like myself that were recently subjected to the new interface.  They all say the same things:  how could Rogers keep rolling this out when there are so many problems.  And believing (like I initially did) that they would acknowledge our problems and actually do something.  Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but the lack of any word from Rogers didn't give me a load of confidence.

So, after being subjected to Navigatr for less than a week and driving me nuts (and reading endless posts on this and other forums where everyone was describing the same issues and frustrations both with the system and Roger's lack of response), I did my research on alternatives and found one with a better deal and better interface.

As a customer of Rogers for over 30 years, I didn't make this decision lightly.  With Rogers not bothering to return my calls it became apparent to me that loyal customers aren't important enough to them.

For those of you that stay with Rogers, I wish you well in your plight/fight with them.

Good luck!

I, too, plan to join the rush for the door.  

mfait
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@BS wrote:

Clearly what we have all learned, is that communication from this renowned communication company is not one of their strong points.  Marketing and promises and pretending that things aren't happening, or at least not telling any of us that things are happening has not been good.  I don't think they understand just how damaging to customer relationships not keeping the customer, or even your front line staff in the loop can be.

That is another thing they need to seriously consider how they will change in order that we can trust any future implementations of any type of new technology.

Bruce

If we could get some feedback as to their plans regarding what they plan to fix and when, and what features lost from RTN guide they plan to bring back I might be willing to wait for the fixes and updates.

I've had Navigatr for about a week and hate how some of the functions now take more steps, all the missing sorting and fitlering options of the recordings list and scheduled list. My wife keeps telling me how she hates it.

Without any sort of feedback regarding any solutions from Rogers, my personal solution is looking to be switching to the competition.

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello Community, 

Please be assured that we read each and every post in the Forums. None of your feedback is being ignored and it gets passed along to the appropriate teams that track issues and work towards resolving any known problems that may exist for multiple users. I can understand the frustration with some of the issues users are experiencing and we appreciate your continued feedback and suggestions for improvement. 

Thank you, 

RogersHassam 

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@mfait wrote:

@BS wrote:

Bruce

If we could get some feedback as to their plans regarding what they plan to fix and when, and what features lost from RTN guide they plan to bring back I might be willing to wait for the fixes and updates.

I've had Navigatr for about a week and hate how some of the functions now take more steps, all the missing sorting and fitlering options of the recordings list and scheduled list. My wife keeps telling me how she hates it.

Without any sort of feedback regarding any solutions from Rogers, my personal solution is looking to be switching to the competition.

For all the above reasons, and the fact that their phone and chat support is impossible to get through to (because so many people are having problems),  I agree, it's time to move on to, hopefully, better things.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thank you @RogersHassam - your assurances are appreciated.  As one of the people who has continually pushed on these issues, my concern is that it would appear that you communicate information upwards - I have always believed that you did - it is the issue that as you say, you can only report on what you know. (I think that was in your pre edited post) - The fact that you cannot tell us much (except to refer us to FAQ's and Tutorials as they come, and announcements of new rollouts or frozen rollouts), I fully understand that you are left in the dark, and as a result we are also left in the dark, but we are also left in the dark, no matter where we try to go to get answers.

So this is the issue from one customer and person who has hit every communication method available to me - no-one at your level, or even levels much higher in the system seems to have the authority or possibly the  information to keep us fully informed.  It just feels like we are being ignored, because obviously you don't have the information to tell us, so we are all left in a big catch 22.

I do appreciate you confirming that the mods are reading, paying attention and passing it on to the teams that track issues, but if you are not hearing back from these teams responsible for tracking issues and processes, then we just spin in circles.

But thanks again, Bruce

@RogersHassam wrote:

Hello Community, 

Please be assured that we read each and every post in the Forums. None of your feedback is being ignored and it gets passed along to the appropriate teams that track issues and work towards resolving any known problems that may exist for multiple users. I can understand the frustration with some of the issues users are experiencing and we appreciate your continued feedback and suggestions for improvement. 

Thank you, 

RogersHassam 

Thx Can you amplify ?

Please advise whether Rogers really has an active taskforce/team and a plan to fix Navi, but are not telling anyone ?

Or you are still in the 'listening' modeand yet to formulate any plan ?  

Lack of any definitive response leads us to suspect  the latter.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersHassam wrote:

Hello Community, 

Please be assured that we read each and every post in the Forums. None of your feedback is being ignored and it gets passed along to the appropriate teams that track issues and work towards resolving any known problems that may exist for multiple users. I can understand the frustration with some of the issues users are experiencing appreciate your continued feedback and suggestions for improvement. 

Thank you, 

RogersHassam 

RogersHassam,

The problem is twofold:

1) The new software has some huge problems, is worse than the previous one, and should never have been released in that condition.

2) Nobody from Rogers senior management is being honest and acknowledging this, and offering a plan to resolve it.

I suggest:

1) A letter from senior management to customers, apologising, and putting forward a plan for resolution.

2) A survey to all customers to find out ALL the issues they are having.

3) Go back to the old software in the meantime.

Since, 6 months after the initial release, there has been so little progress, it would be a fair assumption that this could take a year to fix....if it is even going to be fixed.   I don't plan to stick around waiting that long, especially in the face of Rogers stonewalling of customers.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@park

You are right on that one - If we had an update from this cordination team on what they are doing, signed by the update team, it would go a long way.  I believe the moderator that they are listening and passing them to some group, they have assured us of this many times, but neither they or us have ever heard anything.

Even with the bug fix builds in November/December/January, the customer and support people were never given any information on what was dealt with, how it works, and what was not dealt with because it won't be, or what has been set aside.

In absence, I like Park are left wondering if there really is an active team up there somewhere who are actually doing anything with the information, or are they in a listening mode too?

I am not being cyncial here or trying to be a trouble maker, it is just that I have worked in this field for many a year, my daughter also works in it and has extremely high level experience and training in doing the system development and implementation and testing, and bug fixing, and documentation, and we in the field have seen this in our careers, and never in my experience have I ever experienced this level of silence and absence of communications of actions planned, or taken for that matter, except for me in one - the company was on its way to being merged with another company.

I think some of this is happening, not with Rogers, but with your suppliers.

So I empathize with the moderators and all staff at the bottom levels, but I don't accet the way senior management and executives have approached this whole mess.

As a paying customer, I expect a certain level of respect to get answers when I have concerns, and this has been very lacking from the senior levels.

I again say tonight, that I am hopeful that Rogers will learn from this one. Yes things can go wrong in technology as in any project of large scale, even getting my bathroom renovated), but communication to the customer is critical if you want to keep your loyal customers, get new customers, and not force people to leave.  There is only so much any person can put up with.

Bed time for me now - We could go at this non stop with no resolutions until someone from on high finally comes forward with feedback from what has been listened to.

Brce

Steelheader
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you RogersHassam for coming forward and telling us you are reading and forwarding these messages.

However after all the concerns and posts (1000),  99% being very negative, we still do not believe that Rogers is doing

their part to make us as customers satisfied.

We still need to know some key points.

1. Why was Navigatr brought in by Rogers.

2. Who made the decision to bring in Navigatr 

3. Can the old system be brought back, at least temporarily till Navigatr's shortcomings are fixed and acceptable to the customer base.

4. What can be expected and not expected from Navigatr.

5. Can you provide regular updates on progress

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Customer01

Your request of senior management is absolutely reasonable if customer satisfaction is truly valued by Rogers.

There are many compents to customer satisfication, and this rollout has been an absolute failure, as if you can't provide a quality reliable easy to understand and use product in a timely way, you don't put it out (although I think that some industry supplier factors drove it to come out early) until it is ready for prime time.

Anybody remember Vista, Windows ME, Windows 3.0, and Windows 8.0.  Actually, now that I think of it, there response was not disimiliar to this one, but it also contributed to a large movement to other companies, other operating systems, or just not upgrading - had we had a choice on this one, I suspect that very few would have upgraded. But we had no choice, nor did we get any information on what was coming except for some wonderful marketing messages, that the product didn't live up to, and the marketing departments and senior management kept putting these same messages out.

On the Facebook page, you currently see when someone says something negative that they are sorry that the poster is dispointed with the new Navigatr and that they will pass the feedback to the relevant teams, or they send them to the FAQ or the pre release marketing/how to videos.

We used to hear here, we apologize for the inconvience, and the same thing from front line reps, all the way to the office of the president.

Many of us said clearly, stop using that phrase, you can only apoligize so many times before it leads us to ignore that response and just stick to the topic we brought up.

Absolutely someone way up there that we cannot get to or even know who they are, needs to eat some humble pie and come out and tell us what they plan to do.  There is little new coming forward on the bugs and issues, and concerns, and recommendations for changes - they have more than enough to be able to make a statement of what they heard and what they plan to do.

But maybe I am dreaming again.

Think I will go to bed and dream - hopefully not about this, but something far more pleasant.

I am going to disappear for most of the next week again, as I deal with life in general and try my best to enjoy my shows, but not the experience.  Probably pop back again for a bit on the weekend.

Good night to all, Bruce

park
I'm an Advisor

@BS

IMHO Rogers vendor issues are not our problem. Espial sold Technicolor and Rogers a fine guide and promised a PVR manager even though it appears to have no experience or knowledge on how people actually use them.  Cisco has been out of the equation since at least last summet and likely many months before.

Nor is Rogers focus and internal communication issues our concern. The top of the Rogers pyramid is us customers. All the people who work  @ Rogers have only one mission, to keep us happy.

Until Rogers leadership team understands the above the company will see many more customers seek satisfaction elsewhere.

So far there is NO sign they do.

J-M-S
I've Been Around
Can you please let me have the old UI back? This new one is absolutely awful. It's slower, it's cumbersome, and it's made it far more difficult to navigate, ironically....

I neither need, nor care about seeing all the program graphics for my recordings, which I suspect are bogging down the processor. When I move the selector to a recording, I am no longer provided with a description of the recording, which was far more informative and convenient than the stupid graphic. Even the information that is provided once I select a recording has been stripped of the recording time, which was rather important to me. And to switch from the recordings list to my scheduled recordings was a matter of a single click -- now, it seems that a multi-step change to the settings is required to achieve the same thing.

I'm astounded that something this bad made it through your approval process -- you've actually managed to make the UI worse than it was. Someone really should lose their job over this....
Michael

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

We have recently gotten the new guide.  Had to unplug one of our PVR's as it was being moved from one area to another.  Once plugged back in the live channels work fine, can record fine, and watch recorded shows fine.  However, when going to Rogers On Demand Channel 100 it says undefined in the bottom left hand corner and has the loading bar going through the bottom of the screen.  Tried rebooting, unplugging nothing works.  I really don't have time to be wasting on the phone with Rogers Tech as they won't do anything anyway. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

With the previous menu system when I searched for a program, it would show me all of the upcoming dates and times so I could select which one I wanted. In Navigatr, it only displays the first showing of the program. Where is the capability to display all show dates and times for upcoming week? Without this capability it makes this system useless.

When i did a search the other day , i thought it did.. 
Could be wrong though.

Unless someone is able to before then, i will check this on mine when i get home.

(I know the search appears to be only showing the LOWER channel say of when something airs.  Say its on CTV.. it has its lower assignment, but also the higher 500 level channel of CTVHD.  The CTVHD is subed onto the lower channel, so its only showing the ONE now, not both.)

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

If you read any of the 900+ posts here, you will understand that 99% of the posting are by very frustrated customers.

I have been monitoring the complaints for about a week and I have my own explanation for why Rogers management is not reacting to the UPDATED NextBox Navigatr complaints.  It has to do with human behaviour under stress.

In the meantime, I have noticed that customers and unpaid resident experts are stepping up and doing the work for Rogers.  

For your problem, try pressing the SETTINGS button, then scroll down to I think it is TROUBLE SHOOTING.  In the DIAGNOSTICS  area I believe you can restore the factory setting or reboot the nextbox.  

WARNING:  I tried this once with a Seagate External Storage Device and I lost all my recorded programs, so you may want to wait for more advice before attempting this.  

I don't work for Rogers - I am just another frustrated customer.    

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User14 wrote:

For your problem, try pressing the SETTINGS button, then scroll down to I think it is TROUBLE SHOOTING.  In the DIAGNOSTICS  area I believe you can restore the factory setting or reboot the nextbox.  

WARNING:  I tried this once with a Seagate External Storage Device and I lost all my recorded programs, so you may want to wait for more advice before attempting this.  

I don't work for Rogers - I am just another frustrated customer.    

Yes, factory reset will WIPE all recordings.
(its like running a factory reset on a phone, etc.. it takes you to the state it was when you first started it up)

It can sometimes fix some configuration issues i have seen in the past though.

malcolmd
I Plan to Stick Around

Apologies if this is addressed somewhere and I missed it ... my issue is: where is the "Settings" menu?  I can get to the Settings screen but all I see is a blank screen with "Rogers Navigatr Settings" at the top. There are a number of "features" that I would like to change the default for, if that is possible So far I am less than impressed - seems like several functions require substantially more key presses.