Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

stanleylai88
I Plan to Stick Around

Really surprised that Rogers didn't perform a proper Q&A before releasing this product.

Fortunate for our home the recordings have not been lost.  BUT the main PVR device will not allow the playing of recorded items, even though I can see them listed.  Have to use the secondary NextBox to view recorded items (and the second box works perfectly, can't say the same for the front end PVR device).

Roger's solution.  Pull the plug, wait 3 minutes, then plug it back in.  WELL, it doesn't work.  Still do not have access to SETTINGS also and no one in tech support seems to be able to figure out why.  Their reply, get another box.

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Funny thing is, i have not had any problems so far viewing saved recordings before or after the update

stanleylai88
I Plan to Stick Around

This release wasn't properly Q&A'd.  As of Jan 3rd there have three additional updates to fix issues like icons/metadata for the pictures of items you have recorded or are going to record, the ability to actually view your recorded programs in a series without the device bringing to the manage series prompts instead of the recorded programs prompt.

STILL waiting for the SETTINGS screen to be populated.  AND NO tech support, unplugging the boxes for 3 minutes and then forcing a COLD BOOT doesn't do anything.

@stanleylai88 are you by chance refering to playing a recorded program on a tv that is connected via composite connectors?

Steelheader
I Plan to Stick Around

Stanley, Better to threaten them in the billings department and threaten to pull that $$ plug.

I suggest we all call them to complain. You'll move more that way.

stanleylai88
I Plan to Stick Around

Do you have access to the SETTINGS screen??

Tech Support keeps telling me to COLD BOOT the boxes (unplug for 3 minutes and then plug them back in and allow them to totally reload and reboot) but still doens't show anything.  Have NO ACCESS to Parental Controls, which I believe is in the SETTINGS menu options, also my one TV is showing everything in 720, so I have upper and lower bars.  Before the update the settings for the TV was 1080i giving me full screen.  Until I can get into the SETTINGS to change things it looks like bars for the SUPER BOWL.

stanleylai88
I Plan to Stick Around

NO composite cables.  Rogers Cable to both boxes and then HDMI out to both TVs.

Thanks for the reply and inquiry.

stanleylai88
I Plan to Stick Around

That is one way, but if we complain to the tech team then customer tickets get generated.  And if enough get generated for a specific issue it should start raising RED FLAGS up the Rogers chain of command.  Tickets are monitored by management.

Something is definately up with your box..
(well and possibly some others)

The settings should work.. i dont think thats necessarily a GLOBAL issue.  That is one thing i did test as soon as i got my update was going into the settings, and I was able to go in.  

The 720p setting though.. shouldnt give the black bars, as far as i am aware.  At least it did not used to. maybe is different in this version.  Does your TV have an option to see what input it is actually getting?
i have my box in the basement set up to 720p, as its the max my projector does.  I have not tested since i got the upgrade yet though.

I wonder if the settings, etc.. have a while to populate if there is a bad or weaker signal?
I know it took me 1/2 a day for the data for the tiles to load.. but there are others who still dont have any tile data.. i am wondering if a weaker signal causes it to take longer.. and possibly other things too?

(just guesses here unfortunately 😞 )

rgottinger

And the wiring guess might not be a bad one. I know when i got a new outlet put in for my son's room a while back, the tech that came ended up upgrading the coaxial cable in the entire house because he said that it was an older type that wasn't good enough. It had been in there for years. I noticed the difference afterwards.

I checked the settings as well and that was easy to do. Again, usability issues exist that i wouldn't have implemented but that is a different subject

robtoe

Well, in fairness to Rogers on one point - and only one point Smiley Tongue - the grey boxes have started populating with TV show icons.

rgottinger

Yes i have noticed that too

bobbysk
I Plan to Stick Around

Since we are complaining...  My 3 year old now knows what is recorded on the PVR for her as Rogers has added these tiles with programming logos!

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

@bobbysk wrote:

Since we are complaining...  My 3 year old now knows what is recorded on the PVR for her as Rogers has added these tiles with programming logos!

Well, that does seem to be the target audience.

Steelheader
I Plan to Stick Around

@JEL wrote:

@bobbysk wrote:

Well, that does seem to be the target audience.

Ya, not us 60 year olds.

GKW1
I Plan to Stick Around

You have got to be kidding!??! I have already canselled my two cell phone do to poor service! I am NOT going to spend two hours on the phone with you. I've had it!! Fix it or go back to the old way. I'm looking into Bell for TV, home phone, & internet. Once deal is made, don't call me to make a better deal on your . TY srvice!! Have A nice day.Smiley Mad

Reply moved from another thread: Re: Enhanced guide - is this a joke?

Hello @Gdkitty,

My 8642s have nothing recorded on them (all recorded content is centralized on the NB3). I had many technicians come out to try and diagnose/correct the issue, and they always state that signal levels look good and that nothing is wrong (but, they always say that). 

I have 5 STBs, 2 DTA-50s, Internet and Home Phone - Rogers had to install a splitter and signal amplifier at the cable demarc in the basement. 

In my case, the 8642s are slow...even after a factory restore. All my STBs (except the 8300HD) are running Navigatr 2.0, and one STB (8642) is deployed behind a MoCA filter (whole home PVR only supports 2 HD PVRs plus 7 HD terminals). 

The Nextbox 3 is installed in my living room and is so much faster, it's like night and day (fast even when 5 programs are simultaneously recording, and others are streaming content from it via WHPVR). 

Yeah, the 9865 is MUCH more powerful... and could handle it.

Do you find the 8642 now on Nav2.0 slower obviously than the 9865... but slower than before on RTN?

robtoe

I see your 10-point list, here:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/page/75...

In my case it is the 7th post - may vary depending on your screen resolution.

@Gdkitty Yes, I find that my 8642s are slower on Navigatr 2.0 than they were on RTN. It is hard to draw a direct comparison though, the Navigatr software seems to be updated and changed weekly - no time to allow the software to 'settle'. 

Even more strange - my 4642 (HD terminal) operates faster than the 8642s (guide moves quicker, the recorded content list appears faster and cursor responds quicker). The 4642, cable wise, is furthest from the cable demarc.

Steelheader
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes my 8642 with N'r is definitely slower...and with more steps, more painful!