Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

popaoz
I Plan to Stick Around

Great tips. These should be listed under the useability testing that should have been done before Navigatr was released. I have also started to use the Rogers Anyplace App to view Recorded and scheduled as it is way easier. I am still waiting on a solution to remove the rolling banner in the top left when I fast forward a soccer game. It overlays the score and I can never tell when a goal is scored.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure when i will have the time.. (very busy this weekend).. but i have it in my head, to write up a HOW TO guide sort of for every screen 😛  Maybe will help some people transition.

Like compared to the original design/videos
https://youtu.be/MlyRE0J2eSs
Mine at least is very different.. the v2.0 one i guess?   Like inside the tile for the show.. its broken down a little better.. with the SUB tabs for your RECORDED / SHEDULED.

Not easy to do 'screenshots' off the TV, but may try photos for the guide?

1 - At least this has been figured out.  Not quite the same as before, i think that is where the confusion is.  One in progress of recording, showed up in 'recorded' even though it wasnt done and could be started from there.  Since its still recording, its in the 'scheduled' tab for that show.. but can be started to watched from there

2 - At least they are TABED in that same folder.. from all the peoples explantions, i thought it woudl be all in one just straight LIST, which would be confusing.

3 - The mini guide which shows up? Yeah.. not sure why THAT comes up.. the basic info banner like before, maybe? But that is overkill on a channel change.

4 - I think the old guide was this way too? (unless you went to the show all recordings by date view) unless i am wrong... something a LONG time needing fixing.

5/6 - The grey boxes.. SHOULD populate with the show 'box art'  at least for anything current, etc.  It took 3/4 of a day on my end, but almost all my boxes have box art now. (and no longer show the text... so possibly the text was generally a 2nd thought for size, etc.. as it NORMALLY would be covered over).  Only boxes which do not have box art, are ones that have no content (no recordings) and have no upcoming sheduled recordings.. likely since they have nothing direct to access yet.. it is not quite sure what to fill with?  I dont mind the icons that much personally (but i may be in the minority), but my bigest peeve, is that if you have the same show (lets say CSI:Cyber) and end up recording it on its lower and higher channel.. it will drop you TWO different tiles for the same show.  I would much prefer, that they are grouped together under the SAME tile.. but with a channel number or something on the description.  (my guess, is the tiles are based around the Recording/Schedule.. and are therefore a 'different' due to seperate channels, etc... a setting of 'record this show, any time, any channel' might result with them all in the same folder?)

7 - My ff/rw banner is near the bottom, a skinny line.  (maybe 1/4 the way up).  It still might cover over stuff, but a little less than the old guide one.... is not most sports stuff, the score up in the top? (i really only watch the ocasional hockey.. where its usually up there... i could be wrong though about others)

popaoz
I Plan to Stick Around

Great Tips, but these are really useability issues that should have been addressed before the software was released. The fact that we cannot go back to the previous designj is annoying. I went through the same thing with Windows 10. It gave visual tile lists instead of a simple text list and I ended up going back to Win7, at least that option was there. Also these forums are for the community to help each other so Tips are excellent but we also need a vehicle to provide feedback to Rogers that this rollout is unacceptable. Does anyone know of that process.

1945mdh
I Plan to Stick Around

There is a "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the main rogers.com web page.

I used it to submit a comment on Navigatrr and got a telephone reply the next day from a Rogers minion.

popaoz
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my fingures crossed and post what happens.

CindyLu
I Plan to Stick Around

Oddly enough, it still isn't possible to watch a scheduled recording from the beginning while the balance is being recorded, as per the selected settings WHEN THE SERIES HAS BEEN SCHEDULED TO RECORD.  It indeed can be done if a single show was scheduled to record (begin watching 15 mins into the program while recording continues), but for a very strange reason, this is NOT the case if that same show is part of a series scheduled to record.  Just tested this.

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

Since there are a huge number of posts in the various Navigatr threads, I developed the following summary posts which should prove helpful for those recently infected with Navigatr.   These posts address many, but not all, of the recent questions from those new to Navigatr.

Summary of Navigatr Issues, Post 562:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Navigatr Tips, Post 563:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

CC Tip and "Exit" tip, Post 584:

Additional recent info:

Series scheduled recordings will appear in the “tiles” near the top of the “recorded” list if one of the series episodes has been recorded. You’ll need to click on the tile and click the “scheduled” tab.

Series recordings will typically be in one tile, while any individual recordings will have their own tile. (no folders like before)

To see a programme that is currently recording, go to the relevant tile, probably near the top of the list, click scheduled tab in the tile and it should be there to watch.

With Navigatr, it’s extremely difficult to find conflicting recordings (perhaps the AnyPlace/App might help). You may wish to consider getting a 9865/NB3.

There is no way to revert to the previous (RTN) firmware or to stop Navigatr from being downloaded to your NextBox(s) (4642, 8642, 9865).

Several people have mentioned that the composite video output has been copy protected and cannot be recorded (onto say a DVD recorder or VCR). Also, some people have mentioned that they can’t even connect composite (Yellow cable) video to their TV. (Composite, not component video)

Great summary.  How about editing to include issues still not resolved, from the other thread?  At a minimum, a pointer to the thread, or even better, a copy and paste of the relevant outstanding issues. (http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I am Pretty sure it can?

My wife has 'Curse of oak island' set as a series on our 9865.

She was able to go in and start watching it last night, before it finished.  Not sure HOW far into it, it was when she started it.. but it was before it finished.
She went into the oak island folder, over on the sheduled tab inside, showed the one that was recording (as per the series recording, not manual) and selected to watch it.

(I am seriously wondering.. if there is two or even 3 versions of it out there now.. the 1.0 which maybe not everyone has been upgraded to 2.0.. and even at that.... there are people who said they JUST got it... but it sounds like there is DIFFERENCES.. people saying that recordings and shedules in ONE list (one folder, yes).. which it shouldnt be, should be the two tabs.    Unless there is a classic/modern view like on the old guide?? Maybe that changes the way its viewed?)

I will test this out myself again tonight to confirm.

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

@1945mdh wrote:

There is a "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the main rogers.com web page.

I used it to submit a comment on Navigatrr and got a telephone reply the next day from a Rogers minion.

I tried that earlier this week and I'm still waiting for my call back.

CindyLu
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes, the problem with viewing recordings which are still in progress has been resolved. While I think the method might have been more intuitive (one doesn't watch a "scheduled" but rather a "recorded" - except in this case - at least it works. It was a bit more difficult to locate when a series was scheduled to record, but it's there and doable.

CindyLu
I Plan to Stick Around
Now if Rogers would just "fix" the total absence of closed captioning "On Demand" viewing via "Anywhere TV" so I can get cc when I use my computer to watch while using my treadmill, that would be great. 🙂

Steelheader
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Gdkitty or resident expert or what ever you call your self...stop with the nerdy IT terms and respond to the concerns we have.

1. The Navigator is not faster. Too many sub menus to get to what you want

2. No info on date and channel of what you have you recorded

3. You could easily erased a series without a lot of problems

4. Easier before to use the "Green List" button to call up recorded and then hit it again to call up scheduled, NOW with N'r you have to go into "Sort filter"

5. If you want to get cc captions it is hidden in the "info" button you push! Have to hit "more" then it is shown and you have to scroll down to find it and the process is slow...and it's longer!! AND to get rid of it you have to go through the same rigamarol!!

6 Your "if you like this" associated pictorial icons of what you recorded have NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT YOU JUST RECORDED!!!

7. Your fancy pictorial icons of what you recorded don't have any other info except about the program. No date no channel as it was before so you can go back to find where and when you recorded it.

8. With the previous recorded list or scheduled recordings everything was in a clear one frame selection that you could navigate to.

9. Previously you could more easily select how you wanted to look through your recorded, and scheduled recordings by time or alphabetical order. JUST hit the "List" button once or twice and scroll across to what you want.

10. Navigatr is SLOW to respond to button pushing!! I have an 8642HD and Navigatr is painfully slow.

ANSWER THE CONCERNS!!!😤

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

@mike017 wrote:

The new interface is horrible enough but why did they limit the features during playback of recorded shows this thing is just stupid why did they take away the ability to check info on a show you're watching or limit all the controls in general so much. I know everyone says they're fed up but I honestly think this Navigator update is the final straw that sends me to Bell for my TV internet phone mobile etc

I'm with you on that one.  It's on my list of things to do today to call Bell.  The ONLY thing I like about Rogers is their PVR can record up to 8 shows at once so I never have to worry about scheduling conflicts.  But with the new interface, I can barely figure out how to watch what I want, so it's almost moot.  Not to mention the stress Rogers has put me under by inflicting this monstrosity on us.  ...that and our comments are being moved, edited and deleted by the forum police so we can't even voice our frustration.

I'm all for companies making mistakes, but it is the arrogance that this is good for us and we just need to get used to it is what really burns me.  If they would only say:  yes we are listening; yes we realize there are issues and we are working on A, B and D and will have that fixed in <timeframe>; and yes we will consult our customers with focus groups moving forward.  It would take that to restore my faith in Rogers.

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

This whole thing is beginning to smell fishy to me.  I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but I just can't believe any people could be this incompetent, nor that a company would continue to insist on rolling out such a terrible product.  Could there be some reason we're not seeing?  Could Rogers be planning an upgrade that puts the "o" back into Navigator (like in the CEO's report) but that people will have to pay for?  Or could it somehow be related to the new skinny (but still much too fat) basic? Or is my frustration getting the better of me?

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

@sheabo wrote:

My main concern with this new Navigator is that you can't watch programs that are being recorded unless you have pressed the record button at the beginning of the program. For instance if you schedule  to PVR a football game because you're going to be late, you can't start watching it from the beginning when you arrive home. It will not allow you to watch until the recording is completed. This sucks and so does the new Navigator.

Maybe there are different ways of setting up a program to record and that is yeilding different results, but I have tested this twice:  once with a single program and once with a series.  In both cases I was able to watch the program while it was recording.

Another thought is that there may be different versions of the fw we have installed.  Not sure how to tell what we have.

I guess their ideas on it... that while yes its partially recorded.. its not completely recorded.
Until the recording it done.. that 'shedule' is still running.. so it falls under the sheduled section.??

At least the feature wasnt COMPLETELY removed... wouldnt be the first time 😛

lensman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Steelheader wrote:

Hey Gdkitty or resident expert or what ever you call your self...stop with the nerdy IT . terms and respond to the concerns we have.

The user Gdkitty is not a Rogers employee and so imploring answers from him/her will not help. With regards to point #5 about Closed Captions; you can get to it via the Settings button on your remote. Scroll down to CC section and choose what you want.

Firstly.. how would you like me to answer your concerns???  I DO NOT (nor do ANY of the REs) work for Rogers.  We are all just users... we may be highly SKILLED (hence the it terms you dont like) or experienced in rogers products.  But other than that.. we have no control/say.   Usually we are just passing along any information we may have.

Secondly.. while i understand that many people may be upset with this guide.. and should be sharing their concerns.
Please lets be civil about it, there is no need for language or attacking other users.

(i can only really answer on what i have any info/opinion on)

1. That is not what i ment by FASTER.  Faster in as response times to key presses, menu's comming up, etc its faster.  I do agree that some things do take more clicks.  Some only one or so more, some like 13 for CC.

6.  The if you like this, was ALWAYS that way.. 2/3 of the time, not overly accurate.  I did find it get a little beter over time on the old guide, but not much, so could get better over time?   But there is an easy solution.  In the settings, you are able to  turn it OFF.  This overall may be a good thing, as it would lessen the workload that the system is having to do at any specific time that it would be showing.

10.  If you paid attention to my post that said it was faster, i did mention i was on a 9865 the NB3.  The RTN guide was painfully slow on the 8642 as well.. the box as a whole spec wise (processing, etc) is well under powered for either of these guides to run efficiently.  ITs quite possible that its not great on the 8642.  IF you are on a rental, it would be well worth the time if you ever can get to a point with no recordings (or ones you dont care about) to swap over to a NB3. (more storage, faster, up to 8 recordings at once, etc).

Unfortunately, all people can do for now, is to keep posting their concerns here, and hopefully they are collected and passed on.  
Others can try and help with any work arounds or solutions they found.

To really press it any further, you would want to put in something to the rogers office of the president, the CRTC, CCTS, etc.

@lensman wrote:

@Steelheader wrote:

Hey Gdkitty or resident expert or what ever you call your self...stop with the nerdy IT . terms and respond to the concerns we have.

The user Gdkitty is not a Rogers employee and so imploring answers from him/her will not help. With regards to point #5 about Closed Captions; you can get to it via the Settings button on your remote. Scroll down to CC section and choose what you want.

There is a big concern here, and I think a very VALID one.
CC is still available.. they have not taken that away (they would get in BIG trouble for it if they did).  It works.. well mostly, there seem to be some BIG bugs with CC and playback which need to be fixed.

The big concern, which i think is completely valid, is about the availability of it.
Turning it ON, if you want it left on all the time, etc.. is relitively simple to do so via the settings, and your done.
BUT there are many users who only use it specifically.. at certain times.

This used to be simple on RTN.  You would bring up the INFO screen, one or two moves over to the CC button, and its on.

Under the new one.. you need to press info.. then over to the side bar.  Then MORE.. then scroll down to the bottom of a list of options to enable it.   MUCH MUCH more button presses than before.  
While i do like that there are many other options now burried in there as well as the CC, it shoudl be more readily available.. at MINIMUM right off that first info screen.

Does anyone know if the new Navigator search option has any filter capabilities?

I tried to search for a specific show title, however it searches not only through show titles  but also cast, their family trees and pet names ... or anything with the key word(s).

I just want to search for a specific show title and not all the rest with the same key word(s).

Is there a serach setting that allows me to search for show titles only?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure.. if someone doesnt answer by this eve, i will check when i get home.

I dont THINK so... even the old version of the search.. did match ANY keywords.

I think the only filters on the old one, was to remove On demand, SD, etc from the searches... not even sure if this is an option on the new one.