Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

@cbutkovich wrote:

is there any way to revert back to a previous version?  I HATE the new navigator.

Join the club.  Sadly, no.

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

@JonBoy49 wrote:
"I will admit that the pictures are a pleasant enhancement" - they might be if they were better chosen - or for that matter even there consistently. Of the ones present on my box (NB3) only about 50% have any obvious connection to the program. And only about 60% have any pictures at all on any given day - they have a tendency to come and go.

And if the (not easily recognizable) pictures are not there, the text displayed can be equally useless.  I had two different tiles that both said "Restauran...".  One was for Restaurant Impossible and the other for Restaurant Startup.  And it's not like there isn't enough space for all of the text.  There are other things I record that showed much longer titles!  The only way to know which folder was which was to select it and look inside.  So much for the fewer clicks we've been told about so you we can watch TV faster and easier.  

I keep hoping this is all a dream and that I'll wake up and realize this has all been a nasty nightmare!

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

@dm9 wrote:

Yes the tile pictures are nice except when you have 8 of the same picture on your screen.

(recorded 8 episodes of The Expanse and would think that they'd be all in one single folder).

As an IT professional myself, I can't believe that Rogers QA didn't catch this.

Rogers does QA?

park
I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

As the user above you mentioned, it IS possible.  

Go into which show it was.. that show wont show up in the RECORDED until its finished.

BUT

Go into the scheduled tab, and should have the one recording there.. and you can select to watch it from right there

Just did it 20 mins ago 🙂

For some unknown reason a program being recorded is still scheduled.

BUT, it is NO LONGER scheduled, its partially RECORDED.  

Once the software  tags it as RECORDED it easier to find, view etc.

We've asked for this simple and correct fix/change since last July. 

Ignored so far ! ! !

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

@robtoe wrote:

"However, I've noticed a new problem . . .  once a recording has begun on the PVR, it is impossible to watch the program being recorded from the beginning of the program.  So, let's say I've set the PVR to record a show I want to view later that same night since it begins to air 15 mins before I can get home . . .  I need to wait until the whole thing records on the PVR before watching any of it!  It's either that or begin watching in real time and then go to the PVR'd version to catch the beginning (yes, that's ridiculous!)."

You can't be serious!   That reminds me of the previous generation boxes, where it would start your viewing of in-progress recordings at the current time.   You'd have to close your eyes and REW to the start in order to go from the beginning.

Please tell me that isn't the case!

I just tested this and I was able to watch a show that was still recording.  At first I thought, geez, did they mess this up too, but noticed the "watch" selection isn't where it usually is.  I guess it was a different designer for that implementation that didn't get the memo to put the "watch" button in the same place as recorded shows.  

Take a look to the right of your screen and hopefully your watch button is there.

Line in Navigatr Guide

Guide_ModernFamily.png

Is there any way to get rid of this dotted line?  I really dont need see that it is 7:50pm in the guide.  Is there a way to disable/hide?  

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

@AWS242 wrote:

Next Box 2 Updated Navigatr - How can I see if I have an recording conflicts?

I have a Next Box 2  & this week we got the updated Navigatr - How can I see if I have an recording conflicts?

Anne

Saying a prayer might be helpful?

Hello @kooleeoh,

There is no way to remove that line, unfortunately. 

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

@kooleeoh wrote:

Line in Navigatr Guide

Guide_ModernFamily.png

Is there any way to get rid of this dotted line?  I really dont need see that it is 7:50pm in the guide.  Is there a way to disable/hide?  

That's one of the few things that doesn't get under my skin, although I agree it's not necessary.  A time display in the header would work fine.

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

@dm9 wrote:

This means that the only way the shows will be grouped in a folder is if you record it as a series???

This is crazy.

As you mentioned, many shows are repeated at different times/days.

What difference does it make when I decide to record an episode of a series.

At least Rogers is consistent.  EVERYTHING about it is CRAZY!

park
I'm an Advisor

@Spiritwood wrote:
Ummmm, wanna come over and see? No reason for me to lie about it. But I'm also not about to unplug the received to try and get the new Navi on the ones that don't have it....

I for one believe you. @Gdkitty@ with all your experience here, please do not underestimate the incompetence @ Rogers.

@Spiritwood is a unique test case, he has both old and new running side by side.

If you wish, a couple pics w dates would prove your point for the unbelievers.

Please let us know if/when the other boxes get navied.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since there are a huge number of posts in the various Navigatr threads, I developed the following summary posts which should prove helpful for those recently infected with Navigatr.   These posts address many, but not all, of the recent questions from those new to Navigatr.

Summary of Navigatr Issues, Post 562:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Navigatr Tips, Post 563:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

CC Tip and "Exit" tip, Post 584:

Additional recent info:

Series scheduled recordings will appear in the “tiles” near the top of the “recorded” list if one of the series episodes has been recorded. You’ll need to click on the tile and click the “scheduled” tab.

Series recordings will typically be in one tile, while any individual recordings will have their own tile. (no folders like before)

To see a programme that is currently recording, go to the relevant tile, probably near the top of the list, click scheduled tab in the tile and it should be there to watch.

With Navigatr, it’s extremely difficult to find conflicting recordings (perhaps the AnyPlace/App might help). You may wish to consider getting a 9865/NB3.

There is no way to revert to the previous (RTN) firmware or to stop Navigatr from being downloaded to your NextBox(s) (4642, 8642, 9865).

Several people have mentioned that the composite video output has been copy protected and cannot be recorded (onto say a DVD recorder or VCR). Also, some people have mentioned that they can’t even connect composite (Yellow cable) video to their TV. (Composite, not component video)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All NextBoxes (4642, 8642, 9865) will get Navigatr, unless the NextBox (usually an 8642) is running SARA instead of RTN.  (There are a few of those around)

brynaugust
I've Been Here Awhile

The user interface on the new Rogers Navigator leaves much to be desired. 

Beyond the needless pictures and the clutter of showing both recorded and scheduled programming on the same page, is the fact that fonts are being used that are either too small or too narrow to be read.  Though Rogers claims to have "done a ton of research to improve the user interface of your NextBox," it seems that little or none of that research involved people who actually use NextBox, namely, the company's customers.  That Rogers further claims that "we understand the changes might be hard to get used to" is rather patronizing.  In other words, while there are things about the new Navigator Rogers' customers don't like, they're just going to have to "get used to" them.  Sorry, but getting "used to" fonts that cannot be read today will not make them any more readable tomorrow, next month, or next year.         

No one is saying that we dont beleive that they are not upgraded yet.

As 57 said above, at least from Rogers end, they have said all boxes should get it. Again as long as they are are RTN (the previous version of the guide)

Some how some people have a bunch of 8642s and may 4642s which never got upgraded from SARA, the original guide. These may the only ones that escape from it. And even then? Who knows.

CindyLu
I Plan to Stick Around

I so very much want to be proven to be an incompetent who just can't figure out the "new and improved" or just isn't "comfortable" with the new procedures, but I fear that is not the case.  Someone, please prove me wrong!  Are we all perhaps just working with a multi-flawed beta version??

CindyLu
I Plan to Stick Around
Initially the captioning was a collection of nonsense letters, but it is now readable on recorded shows. However, no captioning available "On Demand" when viewed on a computer via "Everywhere" , though the show is captioned and captions are available "On Demand" viewed on the TV. Sorry: I don't dare fiddle with on/off captioning for fear of losing the captioning I currently have and need.

CindyLu
I Plan to Stick Around
That problem with space, resulting in truncation is increasingly common in such "upgrades" . . . and is absolutely ridiculous!

JSW
I've Been Around

Thank you for helping me with the same problem.

iPia
I've Been Around

The Navigatr does not jump to the program that has been marked with reminder

robtoe
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I'm not sure I buy the research piece.   There are a lot of user interface/user experience (UI/UX) issues that would easily be found through testing.

Some examples I see are:

-Confusion over how to watch a recording in progress, from the begining.

-Confusion over the combination of both recorded and future/schedule recordings in the same place.

-A screen change banner that takes up excessive screen real estate.

-Offering up the latest recording in a series first, when users would start watching from the oldest.   (No sort offered either.)

-Grey recording boxes that don't offer up enough space to view most of the title, so similarlly-titled records appear the same.

-Empty grey recording boxes.  (A TV show icon would be great, but is not there.)

-A FF/REW banner that now blocks a portion of the screen in sports recordings where you'd see the score - some people FF through a game and only watch as the score changes.

-The inability to filter out scheduled recordings from the list of boxes for recordings.   (Only filter option is ALL or Scheduled, not just RECORDED.)

...and this is just off the top of my head.

While there are always corner cases, and oddball one-off usage scenarios that get messed up or missed, these are all very common, and should have come to the surface during testing.