Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

DragonsOfWine
I'm a Reliable Contributor

In regards to the chopped of guide (why does Roger's insist on putting all issues together in the same megatopic - makes it hard to find stuff - kind of like the new Navigator itself 😉 - Yeah, all my TV's are HDTV. It only happens on my 43" Sony in the bedroom, not in the 60" in the living room. They are all less than 5 years old.

Part of the issue of making these large picture tiles on the navigator. Make the tiles shorter or better yet, go back to the text list. I know what my program looks like - the picture while "cool looking" doesn't add anything. IMHO

charter007
I've Been Here Awhile

The problem for most isn't being able to use the new software, it's the removal of some very useful functions of the old PVR guide system. In my case I have multiple PVRs (4) on the Rogers Whole Home PVR system and now I can't see which PVR a program is recorded on so if i watch a program thinking I recorded it on "my" PVR I may delete it, after watching it, on my "wife's" PVR before she gets a chance to watch it. We often record the same program because occasionaly and on some channels the playback from one PVR to another is "choppy" and/or doesn't sync well, although most of the time it does work as expected.

I also agree with others who have posted comments about it being more difficult now to see a show's content before viewing. It used to just display at the bottom of the screen as you scrolled through a list, now you have to click on each show to see content (does not however tell you which PVR it's on).

To me the channel guide system seems alright overall, just not the PVR part.

DragonsOfWine

@scuddycat wrote:

@DragonsOfWine

I have the same problem with 2 rows of tiles not fitting on the screen.  Who designs this stuff such that it doesn't all fit on the screen?!?

I should add that I have 2 Nextboxes:  a 2.0 and a 3.0 and they both have this same dysfunction.

I noted that someone was asking what type of TV you had.  Mine is an HDTV.

It is the classic challenge of designing video output - one size never fits all so they really can't (they can probably get back the screen resolution and adjust but would be extra work). Personally I found the text list was better - the pictures don't aid me in finding my programs. In fact, now I'm getting duplicate categories (where I used to get one program group) because the same show was recorded on multiple channels because of Rogers' moving things.

msk522
I've Been Here Awhile
You will have to call Rogers and have them do a FACTORY RESET from their end. You can't do this yourself as you can't access the SETTINGS screen. You will loose all your recorded programs and they will probably reset this 2-3times over the next couple of days. Alas, it did solve the problem.

stevemac380
I've Been Here Awhile

Not a fan of the changes made to the guide old format was just fine and the new one is a hassle to use.Should have the option to decide which one you prefer to use. JUST SAYING

SavvyChimp
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I got Navigatr update yesturday and for the most part like it but I do understand why people are not happy and I appreicate the bug lists that people are adding to this board.

For me the only really big issue is the recorded programs or scheduled recorded programs dont show the channel number. I actually like that fact the recorded and scheduled recorded programs are now in the same window but like someone suggested before they should have a filter cycle when you press the list button to cycle between all/recorded/scheduled.

The UI is very pretty but I dont like the look of the bar when you fast forward or rewind, especially the the little overlay that shows how fast you are fast forwarding or rewinding, that is just ugly.

park
I'm an Advisor

@57 wrote:

Tips: Here are some tips (workarounds) that may help you navigate Navigatr more quickly and more easily.  Again, I recommend reading this list completely since it addresses many of the questions in recent posts.

1.    When you bring up your “List” of recordings, you can page down to see your scheduled recordings. Near the bottom of the page you will see your recordings scheduled for the next 6 days. You may also see some scheduled recordings that appear to be blank. You may have set these some time ago and they are simply scheduled but the programme doesn’t air within the next 6 days. Navigating on the single page is usually faster than changing the “filter” on your recordings.
2.    When you’re in any of the menus, you can often go “up” instead of “down” or “left” instead of “right” (Wraparound). For example, when navigating the menus to invoke CC, if you use the “up” button after “info”, you’ll be able to invoke CC in 6 clicks, rather than the 11 clicks it would take if you follow the menus using the “down” button. Same holds true after pressing “Settings” to take you quickly to “Troubleshooting” in one click. People need to remember that menu items may not always appear on the page you are looking at. You may need to scroll down, or up, to get to more menu items. Sometimes there is an "arrow" at the bottom of the page indicating this, sometimes not.
3.    Some people have reported that they see a blank screen if they press the “Settings” button. For those of you who have this issue, try pressing “Menu” instead. “Settings” should then be a submenu there. If you still can't see the settings, you may need to get Rogers to do a factory reset, or try one yourself - you'll lose all your recordings and settings though.
4.    Don't press the FAV button at all if you wish to avoid problems with the current version of Navigatr. Just like on RTN, press "Guide" once to get all channels. While in the guide press "Guide" again to get your favourites, if you press "Guide" again, it'll go back to all chanels, etc. That should preclude any issues with your favourites.
5. "More Like This" can be disabled. Go to Settings - Related Content Settings - Don't Show.
6. In order to check on my scheduled recordings I typically use AnyPlace Web interface (or the RAPTV App, or the mobile App), rather than the PVR itself. You cannot find "zombie" (0-recorded, 0-scheduled) recordings there though.
7. For searches, I typically do the same (AnyPlace/App) because it's a lot faster, especially for a touch-typist like me. I try to use AnyPlace when the internet/Rogers is less busy, avoiding lunchtime and prime time whenever possible.
8. Some people have reported that they cannot see the bottom of the second row of tiles in their list. This may happen for any TV that is not set for 0% overscan. Most TVs default to 16:9 mode, which has about 2% overscan, meaning that you don’t see about 2% of the picture. This is done because many broadcasters don’t properly center their images and you may end up seeing very thin black bars or small white or coloured lines around the edge of the image. If your TV allows for it, invoke the 0% overscan mode by cycling through your TV’s stretch modes, or by checking for it in the user setup menus. Rogers should have placed these tiles in the “safe zone”, so that they can be seen by those using the 16:9 (2% overscan) mode.

Hope this helps some people.

Bravo! 

Rogers should lhire you to update the FAQ and other Navigatr aids.

Some of the info there is  incorrect, last updated months ago and about the July 28 version.

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe Rogers should just fix the many problems before continuing to roll this out to more victims.  Doesn't make sense that every customer should have to log in to community forums to find out how to work around the worst of the inadequacies.

SavvyChimp
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree, I would say the lists that 57 posts are very informative and constructive.

lamlyn
I've Been Here Awhile

Just got the new navigator and at first the guide is appealing.  The look of the recording is app like and not convenient at all.  You see those huge icons that you have to go one by one.  As far as the functionality of the guide, wow we are going backward in time.  How come in the filter to see your recordings you only have the option of 1) recent or alphabetically and 2) view scheduled recording or all recordings?  Shouldn't you have the options to see only see your recordings as an option?  Why mixed them all together?  Scrolling up and down no longer works amongst other options.

I like the old one much better as it was a lot more user friendly and the functionality worked good.  Please bring back the old one.  Maybe more testing should of been done before deploying this new Navigator because a lot of the complaints with the navigator in 2015 are still here in 2016. 

lamlyn
I've Been Here Awhile

Just got the new navigator and at first glance the guide is appealing. The look of the recording is app like tiles and not convenient at all. You see those huge tiles that you have to go one by one. As far as the functionality of the guide, wow we are going backward in time. How come in the filter in order to see your recordings you only have the option of 1) recent or alphabetically and 2) view scheduled recording or all recordings? Shouldn't you be able to see only see your recordings as an option? Why mixed them all together? Scrolling up and down no longer works amongst other options.

I like the old one much better as it was a lot more user friendly and the functionality worked good. Please bring back the old one as it was not broken. Maybe more testing should of been done before deploying this new Navigator because a lot of the complaints with the navigator in 2015 are still here in 2016.

Dear Rogers,

I've looked through your Navigatr FAQ and also the help forums. Did you happen to consult the forums to find the ACTUAL list of FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (hint: that is what FAQ is short for).

For example,

1. How do you turn on Closed Captioning? That's a big question now with the new guide. I managed to find the convoluted method you have implemented. By they way, it's even more convoluted if you're watching a recorded program. Here's the scenario:

I'm watching a show and I couldn't understand what someone just said. I have to:

• stop the program
  • go back to live TV
  • hit info
  • scroll down to "More"
  • scroll down to "Turn CC On"
  • exit 
  • go back to what used to be a "list" but is now a grouping of pictures
  • find the picture for the show I was watching
  • click on it
  • select resume
  • rewind a bit
  • press play
  • hit exit to get rid of the screen display that blocks the closed captioning
  • read the text
  • then go back and do it ALL A-Freak'n-GAIN to turn it off!!!

2. How can I get the list back to just text instead of the picture tiles? I don't mind that you added that feature. I'm sure there may be some people out there that like it, but WHY, oh WHY did you remove a perfectly functional feature?

3. How can I see JUST my recorded shows. You had two options before that were very simple: hit list to see the recorded shows and hit list again to see the scheduled recordings. Simple! Now you have two options: hit list to see a bunch of tiles that you have to open to see the list of recorded and scheduled shows, or go through the menu system to set the list up to only show the scheduled recordings? Why not have a 3rd option. ONLY SHOW RECORDED SHOWS!!!

4. If you absolutely MUST use the picture tiles in the list, display the show name below the tile.

5. How do you get rid of the channel/show name/time display at the top of the screen when fast forwarding. Hint: We already know what we're watching. It makes it nearly impossible to fast foward through a hockey game to when the score changes... BECAUSE YOU CAN"T SEE IT BECAUSE IT'S HIDDEN

6. After fast forwarding a show and pressing play, remove the screen display immediately. The 7 seconds or so it takes for it to clear is way too long.

7. Did you get any REAL users to provide feedback during the design / testing phase or did you just get the marketing department that came up with the crazy "enhancements" to provide the feedback?

I hope you are listening, Rogers.

Again, in order for you to answer FAQs, you have to do a bit of research to see what the Frequently Asked Questions are.

DragonsOfWine

I'm posting this as a separate thread and let the Rogers minions move it to where they feel it is appropriate. Not sure which of the Navigator chains this is best in and really don't want to reply to someone else's question with a new question.

Anyway.

Pre-"new" navigator we could look at a list of shows (all different) to see which ones were overlapping. Useful on my NB 2 - less of a need on the NB 3.

With the new Navigator putting both under the program/show itself how does it show you what other programs the latest one conflicts with?

DragonsOfWine

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just really interested in how designs like this are developed and what customer feedback is used in the process. Is there a way for us to get involved ahead of time? 

As far as we know.. other than maybe a small user group or something.. nothing 😞

That is one thing that we here have asked for, for quite a while.
A VOULENTEER beta group, for things like that.

There would obviously have to have NDA's, etc in place.

But give REAL WORLD users a chance to use what they normally do, with the new device/hardware/software... and possibly find thing that OBVIOUSLY rogers is not seeing, noticing, etc.

That IS a very good question!!!

Especially users on an NB2, this may come into play with only 2 recordings.

When you try a 3rd, assuming it just says there is a conflict.. but not where/what?

If not.. that SHOULD be an option at least.. at MIN, show what the conficts are.. so you could at least go to those folders.

@carlorobazza wrote:

1. How do you turn on Closed Captioning?

5. How do you get rid of the channel/show name/time display at the top of the screen when fast forwarding.

1. See post 363 of this thread, link below.  By using the "up" button it reduces the number of clicks compared to "down" when in (some of) the menus. 

Tip:  One workaround mentioned elsewhere is to invoke CC on live TV, go into Settings for CC and select "T1" as the type of CC. T1 is rarely used and CC will (probably) not show. When you want to see CC in your recordings, you can press "Settings - CC - CC1".  When you want to "turn off" CC, go to Settings - CC - T1.  Still kludgy, but a lot fewer clicks and can be done without leaving your recording

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

5. Easy, hit the "Exit" button, just like on RTN. 

Tip:  If you have a Harmony, or similar, remote you can programme a macro that hits the "exit" key after pressing say "Play", or "FF", or the 10-second skip back keys. This will get rid of the progress bar immediately, instead of waiting 8 seconds after "play", or "skip back," or forever when FF or REW.

DragonsOfWine

Saw a suggestion somewhere about informing Rogers of our opinions of the new Navigator. Thought I'd share what I sent and hopefully encourage others to voice their option through Rogers' Contact us. FYI, it is strange to reply to carlorobazza's posting to get this into this "massive" article but guess it makes Rogers community support life easier (not sure how I'm supposed to search a 50+ page discussion for information I need 😉 ).

Going to add my voice to the many you are obviously receiving about the new navigator. First, being in systems development I know there is always a learning curve, a getting used to period for any new interface. You have to learn where to find things.

In the case with the new Navigator/guide many changes were made that a) lost functionality that we had before and used b) made it overall less intuitive for the more technically challenged like my wife and c) made it more difficult to use. For example:

a) the obvious miss on closed captioning for record programs

b) the use of picture tiles which confuse the interface, obfuscate the information and remove the ability to see a set of all programs for adjusting our schedules.

c) the interface is too big for one of my large HDTV screens.

d) dead programs (no longer broadcast) which were setup as a series recording are not front in center of the main screen. Trying to get rid of these, if there are multiple is a lot of work (find, delete, get sent to top of list, find next, etc.)

e) the picture tiles makes it harder to see what programs we have recorded and which ones we would like to watch right now. The list made it easier to page through the programs sets we had recorded and decided which to start with

f) the new system keeps the old behaviour of showing most recent episode at the top of the list (wouldn't it make more sense to be oldest episode on top as that is probably what we'll watch first). It adds to that the increase information with the show title, highlighting in, and obfuscating/hiding the other shows.

There is more I could say but we've only had this for a day or so. I'm just disappointed that Rogers continues to make changes like with without any apparent consultation with the users on what we need the most.

DragonsOfWine

@Gdkitty wrote:

That IS a very good question!!!

Especially users on an NB2, this may come into play with only 2 recordings.

When you try a 3rd, assuming it just says there is a conflict.. but not where/what?

If not.. that SHOULD be an option at least.. at MIN, show what the conficts are.. so you could at least go to those folders.

I'm assuming this is in reply to my question about conflicting entries. Tough to tell when all of the posts get mashed together.

If I get a chance I'll try to find out - I'd rather know before it happens.

DragonsOfWine

@57 wrote:

5. Easy, hit the "Exit" button, just like on RTN. 

Tip:  If you have a Harmony, or similar, remote you can programme a macro that hits the "exit" key after pressing say "Play", or "FF", or the 10-second skip back keys. This will get rid of the progress bar immediately, instead of waiting 8 seconds after "play", or "skip back," or forever when FF or REW.

Nice tip about the Harmony - I'll have to do it. But not ideal to have to program around their systems as it can change.

Ha, what a smozzle.
Can anyone say "New Coke!!!!"

Please bring back the old features!!!!