Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

park
I'm an Advisor

@jbulach wrote:

Got the new Navigatr last night here in Ottawa. I agree with the other posts, I like it. I have tried all features and have had no problems. I am sure there will be a few tweaks required, but that’s OK.

I have noticed over the year that quite a few users suffer from R2C, “Resistance To Change”. As Mr. Bean A.K.A. Justin Trudeau said its 2016, get over it.

IT'S a pity Ottawa rollout was stopped last July. The initial version of was a complete disaster. Not only did it zap NB2 harddrives, it made PVR management extremely difficult.  Justin, Stephan, Tom and all the MPs plus he CRTC would have had firsthand experience and would have Stopped the Madness. 

It took a few dedicated customers ( mostly in this forum) to show Rogers how to make the PVR function OK.

6 months later we have somthing that is not great, not an improvement, but finally barely usable. 

Just received the new Navigatr update today and am completely confused why all my scheduled and recorded shows are lumped together? Can they not make these two separate lists like before? I think someone said that recorded shows show up first, but it just looks like a mess of shows if you have a lot recorded and a lot being scheduled to record. I see you can filter to only show what's scheduled, but then all your recorded shows dissapear.

Please fix this, and fire whoever thought this was a good idea?

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

I just received the new Navigatr - on a tablet this would probably be great - but on a tv it isn't.

I do have a question - wasn't there a claim that we could get things done with fewer clicks?  Why then was I able to hit "list" yesterday to see my list of recordings, and hit "list" again to see my upcoming recordings, but today I hit "list" and I see my recordings (I won't even get into the ridiculousness of the tiles) but to see the upcoming recordings I have to click "c" to sort, change a setting, save the setting, then go back to the previous screen.  And then rinse and repeat to go back to  my list of already recorded shows.

That doesn't seem like fewer clicks to me 

Having said that, I do have confidence that a future update will restore the "list" "list" commands, and also give the option to switch from tiles to a list.  I just hope it's soon.

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

People who just got this and say they like it, if they are actually serious, would be well-advised to look back at the messages on this forum.  Note especially two or three that summarize the "features" in a list.  Forewarned is forearmed and you'll save yourself hours of frustration finding the same things yourselves.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@headhoncho wrote:

...to see the upcoming recordings I have to click "c" to sort, change a setting, save the setting, then go back to the previous screen.  And then rinse and repeat to go back to  my list of already recorded shows.

After pressing "List", you can see your list of recordings. If you page down to the bottom of the list, you will see your scheduled recordings (recordings that are scheduled for the next 6 days, as well as scheduled recordings that do not air in the next 6 days that may be "left over" from some time ago).  This is usually faster than using the "filter - C" to switch.  Plus if you use the filter to see scheduled recordings, you won't see your scheduled recordings that do not air in the next 6 days (0-Recordings, 0-Scheduled Recordings)...

A few extra clicks versus none ?

Those of us that suffered since last July are grateful  that it takes a few extra clicks to see what is set to record tonight etc.

The earlier version required no clicks cause we could not do this basic function at all!

I hope you are right about tiles/list option, but in the meantime, best to find a SA8300 and hold onto it for dear life.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

After pressing "List", you can see your list of recordings. If you page down to the bottom of the list, you will see your scheduled recordings (recordings that are scheduled for the next 6 days, as well as scheduled recordings that do not air in the next 6 days that may be "left over" from some time ago).  This is usually faster than using the "filter - C" to switch.  Plus if you use the filter to see scheduled recordings, you won't see your scheduled recordings that do not air in the next 6 days (0-Recordings, 0-Scheduled Recordings)...

ahh...I thought I had read that somewhere and when I tried it all that was at the bottom of the screen was 4 empty folders (!), but I see now that I "paged down" too far

Brt
I Plan to Stick Around

That's a little ironic coming from someone who has only had Navigatr for 24 hours and suggest that most of the people on this list are R2C. Part of the discussion also involves what features were taken away and it is helpful to have perspective which @OLDYELLR has provided.

Cheers

park
I'm an Advisor

That's a little ironic coming from someone who has only had Navigatr for 24 hours and suggest that most of the people on this list are R2C. Part of the discussion also involves what features were taken away and it is helpful to have perspective which @OLDYELLR has provided.

Cheers

Ditto !

ecar
I Plan to Stick Around

Feb 2, 2016......Navigatr is attempting to be installed on my owned 8642HD.  It is cycling with HX:XX counting down on the display.  The thing is its been doing this for about 3 hours now.  I have called tech support and they told me everything looks good on their end and I should call back if it doesnt resolve itself after 5 hours.

Any other feedback from 8642 users?

Thanks,

scuddycat
I Plan to Stick Around

Ugh.  I've just joined the ranks of the unfortunate that have received this dreadful new interface.  I echo the frustration of many in that we have had this "new and improved" interface thrust upon us with no option to opt out or revert back to something that worked so much better.  The lost functionality, bugs, poor display of information, poor use of availabile real estate and on and on.  I've been a Rogers customer for over 30 years.  I'm near the end of my rope.  It's time to look at what the service is like from the competition.  

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

Since you are a user and not R2C, perhaps you could educate us on why you think this new software is better.  Where the functionality is better, the useability, etc.   Unless of course you were being sarcastic all along; that kind of thing isn't readily obvious in printed words.

jbulach
I Plan to Stick Around

There is nothing wrong with the new Navigatr, it works fine. Yes things have chaanged on the menus, but the worlds not coming to an end. Quit being so negative and learn how to use it .

Sailorman
I Plan to Stick Around

@jbulach wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the new Navigatr, it works fine. Yes things have chaanged on the menus, but the worlds not coming to an end. Quit being so negative and learn how to use it.

I've got 2 NBs and have been using versions 1 and 2. its useable for me but there a few annoying bugs that should have been sorted by now. There are others that have significant problems and shouldn't be dissed as malcontents. Just saying. 

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

Many people have documented how it does NOT "work fine".  And have noted the many losses in functionality and useability.  You are apparently not able to refute any of these observations, just insult the people who made them?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Everyone, lets please keep this CIVIL here and not resort to name calling/insulting back and forth.

There are obvious complaints on the new box.    People are valid and allowed to have those complaints and not like them.

Just the same, other users are allowed to be OK with it and/or like it.

Every user is different.  For someone who does not use some of the functions which are more of the problem, the new interface may be just fine for them.

Rembmer, everyone is allowed to have a different viewpoint.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Try to unplug it, and leave it for a bit, then back in..
if its stuck in a loop, it may force it to re-start.

It COULD be the signal at that specific spot, may not be strong, and not be allowing it to fully get the updated.

An other option, might be to try and move it to a different cable outlet in the house, possibly where the signal is ok.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Just one comment on R2C - what appears to be resistant to someone on the outside of the life of an individual, may actually be difficulty to change - a good example was the font issue, which was acknowledged by Rogers within a few weeks of the first rollout in their FAQ's and is also requuired by AODA, and CRTC, but it still took 5 months before it was dealt with.  It did not appear to be made a priority - it was left until it got through all the other issues that had forced a freeze of the rollout in July, but for those of us who had it already, we had to live with it for 5 months plus as some new issues have arisen.

Also, change can be difficult for some (eg. those with developing dementia, aging in general, cognitive disabilities, mental health issues that interfere with one's ability to deal with frustration (not change in this case, but the fact that there were so many issues in the first rollout).  I speak to the issue of mental health issues, as I have a diagnosed issue that is recognized by AODA, and if you follow the Let's talk campaign, change is managed well for us with quality communication, quality instructions on use, and acknowledgement of issues that currently cannot be changed, and just asking us what our issue with the difficulty to deal with the change, as this is what accommodating a disability is all about - it starts with individuals, and how can you best accommodate them in this moment, and others that may have common issues in the long run.

So please do not generalize the difficulty with change that some of us may have (by the way, if you read through my posts in the last thread, you will see I was more than open about my disability and my needs and how the product was impacting my ability to enjoy my services.

Some people can deal with change in seconds as stated, I too used to be able to do that, but I am no longer able to do that.  I know of others who have been reporting on the board who are also dealing with health and disability issues, and easy to use tv viewing is one of the few activities in their life and if the process of viewing TV becomes more difficult for us (less fast, more to remember and learn, and just strange things in the design that make the use of the product more difficult for some), then we speak up, for the very reason that we need to advocate for our rights and accommodations, as those on the other side of the readership cannot know what our disabilities are that require accommodation and how these changes may impact us.

So bear with us as we express our displeasure and advocate for our needs.

Bruce

Attila_
I Plan to Stick Around

Don't feed the trolls, people.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Attila_ and @Gdkitty  Good point both of you. My bad, I responded to be called R2C and took it personally. I agree we all have a right to our opinions, and yes, lets keep it civil.

Bruce

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BS

You have quickly become one of my favorite people on this board 🙂

Like you said, not everyone deals with change the same way. 
Some people due to physical/mental reasons... some well just dont want to change, are easily angered, etc.

Does it make their opinions any less valid? No. Of course not.
But it all comes down with HOW we deal with this and how we bring it forward.
Someone is allowed to be angry/upset at it.  But the key is to not let this rule you.

This is where your post show this to the most truethfulness.

Voice your displeasure, sure. But it needs to be done in a clear and logical manner.
Explain what you dont like.. but describe it, give as much detail, etc.
The more pure information, is what is useful.