Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

teragram
I Plan to Stick Around

@jays77 wrote:

@RogersDarrell wrote:

Hey Community!

Starting tomorrow, we’ll be rolling out the new Navigatr software to all NextBox cable customers in Ottawa and London. 

We’ll keep you posted on upcoming Navigatr updates to the rest of our cable footprint, in addition to notifications customers will be getting by mail, email and text.

Thanks!

RogersDarrell

Why???  😢😟

Something we would all like an answer to!

mfait
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@teragram wrote:

@jays77 wrote:

@RogersDarrell wrote:

Hey Community!

Starting tomorrow, we’ll be rolling out the new Navigatr software to all NextBox cable customers in Ottawa and London. 

We’ll keep you posted on upcoming Navigatr updates to the rest of our cable footprint, in addition to notifications customers will be getting by mail, email and text.

Thanks!

RogersDarrell

Why???  😢😟

Something we would all like an answer to!

It was good while it lasted!

Square
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Ya!!!   Waterloo Region was the 2nd in line to get Navigatr back in July.   Now we are the LAST to get it!   This region is always last to get anything, but this time I'm happy (for a week anyway), lol

mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I finally received the update last night. So far, I love the new look and how much quicker the guide is on the NB3. The font is perfect in terms of size. I'm also really happy with the menu system. It is very easy to understand and navigate. The only minor dislike I have is for the recordings list. It is a bit more convoluted compared to the old one becasue everything is on the same page, both actual recordings and scheduled recordings. The two separate pages on the old menu were a bit less confusing. However, that took me all of 2.345780 seconds to figure out and I am over it. 

I can't speak about stability yet because I have not used the box enough with the upgraded guide. However, like any software, I'm sure there will be a few bugs that will pop up and then get fixed. I was really worried about the upgrade after reading this forum, but it seems most of the issues were worked out before it came to my box. My biggest fear was that it was going to brick my box or slow it down. Both those happened when they did the new guide for the NB2s a few years back. 

Anyways, that is my 2¢ worth. I'm really happy with the new guide and I'm sure the few small kinks will get straightened out over time.

BeeBong
I've Been Around

I agree completely with everything listed, and thank you for takiing the time to put it in writing.

Re: More Shows Like this - how does Eric Clapton Live at Albert Hall compare with the Minions?  I don't get it, so get rid of it please.   I feel like I'm part of an experiment to see how much a Tv addict will put up with.

As of this morning my nexbox says Cd00 instead of the time. This is annoying as I use that box as a clock for the room.

Also my nextbox in my room locks up then reboots. Generally when it's recording and I'm watching something. Both boxes are the ones that record up to 8 shows at once.

Spoiler
I'm not happy!

Those usually/can show up while its DOWNLOADING something.. from the bi weekly updates.. to bigger things..
My guess.. is you may be getting the Navigatr download..

But, if the SIGNAL is not great.. then that can cause issues when downloading it.

That might be my guess in this case.

First just as a test... sometimes people have luck after doing a reboot on it.. unplug, leave it for 30 seconds, then back in.  This may force it to try again from the begining, etc.

Beyond that, you would want to give rogers a call to get a tech out to the house.

bobbysk
I Plan to Stick Around

How soon after the Email/Text/Telephone blast are we supposed to receive the update?

The more shows like this is not something new.
It has been around since the previous RTN guide.

It IS something you can turn off though.

I dont have the new guide so can tell you where it is.
But under the SETTINGS there is an option to turn that off.

mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor
@bobbysk My guide was updated a day after I received the text.

jbulach
I Plan to Stick Around

Got the new Navigatr last night here in Ottawa. I agree with the other posts, I like it. I have tried all features and have had no problems. I am sure there will be a few tweaks required, but that’s OK.

I have noticed over the year that quite a few users suffer from R2C, “Resistance To Change”. As Mr. Bean A.K.A. Justin Trudeau said its 2016, get over it and enjoy.

bobbysk
I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe they skipped me because I got text and calls on Thursday and still no updates this morning!

Brt
I Plan to Stick Around

@jbulach wrote:

Got the new Navigatr last night here in Ottawa. I agree with the other posts, I like it. I have tried all features and have had no problems. I am sure there will be a few tweaks required, but that’s OK.

I have noticed over the year that quite a few users suffer from R2C, “Resistance To Change”. As Mr. Bean A.K.A. Justin Trudeau said its 2016, get over it and enjoy.

Hi @jbulach@mousetamer,

Had Rogers released the current version of Navigatr as its initial release then there wouldn't be near the amount of anger and backlash from people who've had their content wiped out on numerous occasions, had to endure several dozen simplistic bugs and ZERO feedback or communication from anyone at Rogers. Keep in mind this was dumped on us unwilling participants with absolutely no information as to when any of this would be resolved. As it stands there are still several outstanding issues, and still no mention from Rogers on when any of them will be addressed.

It's great that you received a semi-stable, semi-acceptable update but given the loss of functionality compared to earlier software versions and simple things such as being unable to turn Closed Captioning on or off from a recorded program SIX MONTHS LATER can't really be classified as being resistant to change. It's more about expectations of receiving a quality product for the premium price we've been paying for this service since the so called upgrade was forced on us.

I'm not sure if you're aware but there is another thread on this forum with 1,674 messages pertaining to the initial rollout. If you want to understand the reasons behind some of the frustration then take a look through:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/highlig...

FWIW, I remain hopeful that most of the issues will be dealt with eventually but the journey to date has proven that Rogers has absolutely no respect for its customers. 

Cheers

ecar
I Plan to Stick Around
I recieved it in Guelph ON today. It worked and my nextbox 3 is up and running on Navigatr......unfortunately, my owned nextbox 2 (8642) is continuously scrolling an HXXXX counting message. Im on hold with technical support. I own this box and I hope this patch has not killed it. Any other similar experiences?

lzm40
I've Been Around

When I change the channel, a display pops up showing what is on for the next few hours. With the recent enabling of the updates to my nextbox, whenever I change the channel, a pop-up window displays what is on for the next few hours. Even though this display disappears quickly, I would like to disable this display.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@jbulach wrote:

And that's exactly what's wrong with the world today that's got us into so much trouble. Change for its own sake with no regard to improvement or progress and total abandonment of gains achieved before. "If it's new, it must be better!" In most cases it's jumping from the frying pan into the fire.  No, I don't have Navigatr and with my hardware won't be getting it in the foreseeable future, but I've been reading enough horror stories over the past few years on the transition to RTN, then Navigatr Alpha, then Navigatr Beta, that I consider myself very fortunate. Every one of these changes lost several useful features from the previous user interface while adding a lot of fluff to signify change. Turning your TV on and watching and managing recordings should be a painless intuitive procedure, not the stressful challenge it looks like it has become.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

park
I'm an Advisor

@lzm40 wrote:

When I change the channel, a display pops up showing what is on for the next few hours. With the recent enabling of the updates to my nextbox, whenever I change the channel, a pop-up window displays what is on for the next few hours. Even though this display disappears quickly, I would like to disable this display.

You can diable it. Its one of the settings items.

BTW should,t a Rogers person be able to reply?. Do they know how their products work ?

fishface42
I've Been Here Awhile

I have three Nextboxes and exchanged them several times.  They aren't the problem.  Rogers transmissions/emissions is.  I have to reboot several times a week.  NAVIGATR makes it even worse.

TheArcher
I Plan to Stick Around

@lzm40

It is easy to get rid of this.

Press Menu

Up arrow 2 times to System

Select System

Scroll to Channel Change Banner 

Select Don't Show.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jbulach wrote:

I don't think there is any R2C here. Most of the people here like change, provided it's for the better. My comments regarding your slag are as follows:

I'm guessing you don't care about:

- not seeing how long a programme is until you start it - two extra steps (for single recordings).  This is a factor in deciding which programme I wish to watch next, and although most series are of a known length, a lot of single recordings like movies are not.
- not seeing the programme info (description) until you click on the tile - an extra step compared to RTN
- not being able to easily see your scheduled recordings, channels that they're on, etc
- the fact that the recorded and scheduled tiles are all jumbled up on the same page
- almost anything you do on the PVR side requires more clicks than before.

I guess you don't use CC either.  You say you tried all features, but I bet you didn't try turning on CC while watching a recording.

There are many more "faults" with this UI, but that should suffice for now. It's certainly better than it was July 28th, however, I cannot understand a preference for additional work and additional steps for almost every function of the PVR, compared to RTN.  I can understand if it's faster for the 8642, however, on the 9865, I believe it's actually a bit slower.  On RTN any button presses were invoked immediately, while on Navigatr there is a very slight delay. The speed is livable, but I would not say anything about Navigatr is faster on the 9865.

My wife commented last night on how much longer it takes to do anything on Navigatr.  Instead of slagging the posters here, you should be thanking them for helping Rogers fix what was an abomination, and making it into something that is "useable", but certainly not better or faster than RTN was.  We will continue to provide recommendations to Rogers to make this a better product, especially CC.

fishface42
I've Been Here Awhile

You like all these silly tiles instead of a quickly scanned list.  You like that recorded and to be recorded are mixed.  You like that you can't sort programs by PVR. It is a balky regressive system.