Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

bulldogtt
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for suggestion but the nextbox i have is frozen on one channel and will not change i even tried to manually turn off the box using the power button and it will not shut down.  if i could get to the settings area and reboot i would but because it is frozen i cannot go anywhere but the channel that is currently on

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello YtanyY,

When I say "List" I am referring to what you and I get after pressing the List button on the remote. I too get the grid of boxes representing the shows.  With this weeks update a few of the boxes now contain 'showcards' but most are still just black.

dont have the box infront of me.. but under the SETTINGS menu, there is a way to do a reboot on the box from there as well, without having to unplug it, etc.

How long ago did you get the box?

I know in the past at least, many people reported it took a few days, for it to settle in and see the boxes sometimes.

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

I think a minor miracle just occurred!

First a new problem… I paused a live program to take a phone call. After my call was done I decided to stop watching TV and do something else. The PVR would not power off with the remote. I pressed the power button on the box and it also had no effect. I tried changing channels, going into settings, etc. but the box was frozen. Like others have reported I had to pull the plug.

As the box was coming up I noticed the ‘dnld’ display and settled in for a long wait. But it didn’t take long. I turned on the PVR and the first thing I did was use the remote to turn it off. I worked. Multiple times!

I pressed the List button on the remote and scrolled down my ‘All Recordings, Sorted by Most Recent’ list. As expected I passed the recorded shows and began to see the shows scheduled for the next 7 days. Then the unexpected happened: I now see a list of all (?) shows that I have scheduled to record but are not show in the next 7 days.  Shows like Games of Thrones and Better Call Saul.  This feature of the pre-Navigatr box was much missed and now it seems to be back.

But, in true Navigatr style, if you press “C” for sort/filter and select ‘All scheduled recordings’ these unscheduled shows (like Game of Thrones) does not show up.  Only shows scheduled in the next 7 days show.  However, set the filter to ‘All recordings’ and there they are.  But hey, it’s better than nothing.

So I don’t know if the ‘dnld’ that was just done added this feature of it is slowly showing up on its own.

Let the improvements keep a coming!

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

Navigatr giveth and Navigatr taketh away.

Watching live TV again (after discovering that all my scheduled recording are available). Tried to use the remote to pause the show. Nothing. Remote dead. Tried the remote from another box in my house. Nope. Power button on Nextbox 3 PVR does nothing, just like an hour or so ago.

I’m going to leave it for a while and see if it ‘wakes up’ before I pull the plug again.

But let me tell you, I will not be very happy if I have to unplug the box every time I want to change channels or pause a show.

molly222
I Plan to Stick Around

Does anyone know how to fix the issue with the power button?  I just had to reboot my PVR for the 5th time today to get the power on.  Am getting really tired of it sometimes working, sometimes not.  Is it possible that this has anything to do with the earlier posts about people saying that Rogers set the boxes to automatically "sleep" after 3 hours?

I have been a Roger's customer for over 30 years. I have the latest PVR box and 2 nights ago Rogers updated their navigation guide (or TV guide). My PVR and TV has been nixed since. I called Rogers service and they said they had no idea about my service type of call, but would put in a ticket. And, if I didn't get a call back within 48 hours, that I should call back (of course I would!)

Still nothing, and seriously, the lack of interest on the lack of my cable service is going to make our family (and our referrals) to change to Vmedia.

SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Curminator

The problem is Rogers support has no clue what to tell you. Rogers insists on rolling out buggy beta software and then over the next month will roll out patch after patch to try and fix the issues. They will get it almost sorted out and we will get used to the software and then they will do a "wonderful" new upgrade and we willl go through the same nonsense all over again.

molly222
I Plan to Stick Around

Sad,  but very true.  I still have two pending tickets with Rogers from the July rollout.  I get an electronic voice mail once a week saying they are working on it.

Has anyone heard about a fix for the power on/off problems?

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi ,

1. From your earlier post: (I could not reply to anything for a while)

"can someone explain more about the input and how we change it...assuming that this is the fix we need."

IMO it not related to the *new* on / off issues.

It's the connection mode: I use "Input" on the TV's remote:

HERE is the list of choices:

HDMI 1 (cable)

HDMI 2

HDMI 3

VIDEO 1

COMP. /VIDEO 2

PC

I use the top one.

Sometimes something switches to another mode and the BLANK TV screen has "NO signal" on it.

2. I can power the BOX back on after my 3 hours of viewing time (Following its energy saving shut off). It's getting the TV and the box on at the same time after the shut off of ONLY the box which has become a NEW problem

(for whatever reason)) - 

I have to go through several cycles after the AUTOMATIC, UNADJUSTABLE, and mainly UNINVITED MANDATORY SERVICE shuts only the BOX off.

BOX OFF / TV ON

BOX ON / TV OFF

until

finally ->

BOX ON | TV ON

Then I have 3 hours to watch TV.

If I am watching really carefully and happen to be in front of the TV with the remote, I might be able to catch the illegible warning message that it will shut off in 42 (?) seconds to save energy.

I do not think it is related to this *new* power feature. Perhaps the BOX has had enough?

collinsg
I Plan to Stick Around
Try a reboot from the troubleshooting menu once you can get powered on by unplugging the unit, it seemed to fix my issues, whereas unplugging alone didn't help

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

@molly222 wrote:

Does anyone know how to fix the issue with the power button?  I just had to reboot my PVR for the 5th time today to get the power on.  Am getting really tired of it sometimes working, sometimes not.  Is it possible that this has anything to do with the earlier posts about people saying that Rogers set the boxes to automatically "sleep" after 3 hours?

Hi Molly222,

I have been a bit of a nightowl for the past while and I have not encountered a automatic sleep with the Nextbox and Navigatr.  Once upon a time when I had my old SA8300 box I used an external harddrive and during that time the box would as me about sleep late at night. I don't use the external HD any longer. I never thought about it until now but maybe the external hard drive had something to do with it. Do you have one now?

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

I waited two plus hours and the box was still unresponsive so I just pulled the power. I have a recording for 5:00pm and 5:30pm (should be recording now) every weekday and the red light on the box did not come on so I suspect the recordings were not made while it was unresponsive. FYI, the current channel continued to play but I could not control the box at all.

After the power-plug reboot I noticed that some recording that previously had showcards were now just black boxes again while other shows now had showcards.  I had hoped that while the box was unresponsive it was busy doing things in the background (like showcards) but this is inconclusive.

I've now taken the advice of another forum contributor and I'm doing a reboot from the settings menu to see it this helps.

I (we) should not have to be doing this.

molly222
I Plan to Stick Around
thanks everyone for the reply's....

...YTanyaY...I tried the input thing and it doesn't work. I think you're right and it doesn't have anything to do with the "sleep" problem. To my knowledge as of now, I don't have the "sleep" on mine. Sorry to hear about that on yours!

...mpfc75....no, I don't have an external HD, but thanks for the suggestion.

...collinsg...I'm going to try the reboot from the troubleshooter and see if that clears it up!

If anyone hears of a fix for this...please post!

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

@molly222 wrote:
thanks everyone for the reply's....

...YTanyaY...I tried the input thing and it doesn't work. I think you're right and it doesn't have anything to do with the "sleep" problem. To my knowledge as of now, I don't have the "sleep" on mine. Sorry to hear about that on yours!

...mpfc75....no, I don't have an external HD, but thanks for the suggestion.

...collinsg...I'm going to try the reboot from the troubleshooter and see if that clears it up!

If anyone hears of a fix for this...please post!

How about time travel back to July 27, 2015 before Navigatr arrived?   🙂

SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around
My problems started October 2014 when I went to the whole home PVR software.
BTW I switched the HDMI inputs on the back of the TV and that solved some of my problems.

Marijna
I Like it Here

My nextbox will not turn on.  The time is still showing accurately, and it worked fine last time I watched tv a couple days ago.  Pressing the power button manually on the front of the box doesn't work either.  Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around
Normally pulling the power out of the back waiting 30 seconds and plugging it back in works for a while.

collinsg
I Plan to Stick Around
once you have power back, reboot from troubleshooting menu

My Rogers has not worked properly since the first day of installation.  The new and improved navigator is awful.  Guess time to switch back to bell.  I give up

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor

@bulldogtt  I have limited mobility as my spine is fractured and held together with rods and screws.  Because we had to reboot the Nextbox so frequently, my wife set up the power to go through one of those Christmas light extension cords that has a switch.  With the switch on top of the cabinet I was able to power off the Nextbox using the switch.

It doesn't fix the problem, but it makes it easier if you are unable to reach the Nextbox power cord and the box is frozen.