Trying to program my own remote to use with new digital adapter

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Trying to program my own remote to use with new digital adapter

Hi, my parents just got their new digital adapter and would like to use their old remote control for the digital box.  I found instructions that you can program the adapter using a code for Scientific Atlanta but in order to program it, the box should turn off when the proper code is entered. There is no on and off for the digital adapter, so I'm not having any luck.

I could probably teach them how to use the rogers remote, but it doesn't work well.  You have to point the remote directly at the small digital adapter box or it doesn't work.  

While these seem like small problems, trying to teach seniors to use a new electronic device is not easy.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  If I buy a PVR, does this take the place of the digital adapter?  Maybe this is the way to go.

Thank you

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Trying to program my own remote to use with new digital adapter

The PVRs still have a fairly narrow range, remote has to be pointing at them.

The PVR remotes, have ALOT more buttons and may be that much more confusing 😞

But yes, would replace the digital adapter. (they can record stuff then at least too)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

The rogers remote should be programmed to opertate the tv only (google search or search forums for instructions on how to program remote for tv).

The big Rogers remote should already be programmed to operate the DA as the rogers remotes come pre-programmed to operate all Rogers equipment equally.  However, the DA doesn't actually turn off, the green light just stays on all the time.  So thats why you would only need to program for the TV power and volume.

I've Been Here Awhile

This is where I get confused.  I did program the Rogers remote for my TV.  If I use my old remote to change the channels on the TV, I get blank screens.  (doesn't seem to go through the adapter) But if I use the Rogers remote to change the channel, it works fine.   That is why I was trying to program the digital box.  Make sense?

Thanks for your help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the rogers supplied remote already controls the digital DTA-50 transport adaptor from the factory, you would just simply use the roger remote and it will change the channel on the DTA box,  there is no need to use the tv remote no more, and no need to try and program the TV remote to control a "cable box" as most TV remote are not universal no more, and if they are chances are they will not program to "cisco/Scientific atlantic" cable box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@EHARLAND wrote:

This is where I get confused.  I did program the Rogers remote for my TV.  If I use my old remote to change the channels on the TV, I get blank screens.  (doesn't seem to go through the adapter) But if I use the Rogers remote to change the channel, it works fine.   That is why I was trying to program the digital box.  Make sense?

Thanks for your help.

This is actualy exactly what is supposed to happen.

The DTA, is just not a 'filter' per say.   Its a box, similar to any of the higher ones up.   Heck, an even closer thing would be, back in the day, when TV's on their own only could do up to say 13-20 channels.. and there started to be more, you used to have to buy a channel changing box.. this, like the DTA, went inbetween the wall and the TV.. and you use ITS remote to change the channel.

Your TV is no longer TUNING into the channels on its own anymore.. thats why when you use its remote, it changes to blank channels as there is nothing its TUNING into there.

WHen you use the DTA remote, it changes it on the box, and feeds that new channel into the TV, which is sitting always on one channel, to receive whatever it is given.

I've Been Here Awhile

I really appreciate everyone's comments/advice here.  It helped alot. 

E