Travelling with ipad

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Travelling with ipad

I have an ipad with a rogers sim card and data plan, I thought I could take it to Hawaii on vacation to read emails and browse the net but was told by Rogers support phone rep that they had no plan that would work in USA for ipad. Is this right? What do you have to do in order to access the web form your ipad ... use a USA carrier?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Travelling with ipad

I travel to the US nearly weekly.  All you have to do is buy a sim card from a US carrier (like AT&T) and sign up for one of their plans.  I swap the cards on the plane so that when I touch down I have internet connection right away.  Tell the carrier you need a sim card that works for the iPad. 

You can even sometimes talk a US carrier into just giving you a sim card.  Unlike here in Canada, carriers in the US want your business so they try to remove obstacles from using their service.

It's all easy and works like phones work in the rest of the world - your iPad isn't locked to any one carrier, so all you need is that tiny little card and a credit card to sign up.

Just be sure that after you sign up for that plan to immediately cancel it.  Sounds odd, but what cancel means is that the plan won't auto renew at the end of the month.  Don't forget to do this cancel before you leave the US, otherwise it is much harder to do.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You can get a US data add-on for your account, but it's a lot of money for very little data ($30 for 10MB, last I checked - depending on your usage, that may not even cover your email). You're better off getting a prepaid SIM from one of the US carriers when you're there.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't think you can use the data addon for the ipad.

I would go to an AT&T store and get a new sim for it to use while your in the states. Then just switch back to your rogers one when you get home. Cheaper in the end.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I travel to the US nearly weekly.  All you have to do is buy a sim card from a US carrier (like AT&T) and sign up for one of their plans.  I swap the cards on the plane so that when I touch down I have internet connection right away.  Tell the carrier you need a sim card that works for the iPad. 

You can even sometimes talk a US carrier into just giving you a sim card.  Unlike here in Canada, carriers in the US want your business so they try to remove obstacles from using their service.

It's all easy and works like phones work in the rest of the world - your iPad isn't locked to any one carrier, so all you need is that tiny little card and a credit card to sign up.

Just be sure that after you sign up for that plan to immediately cancel it.  Sounds odd, but what cancel means is that the plan won't auto renew at the end of the month.  Don't forget to do this cancel before you leave the US, otherwise it is much harder to do.

View solution in original post