Travelling to USA

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Travelling to USA

My husband I are in the market to buy 2 iPhones and are looking at switching providers. We are going to be travelling to the U.S. A fair amount. We are planning on cancelling our land line and transferring that number to one of the cell phones. We have been researching all options of phones, providers, U.S. Roaming and data packages and still don't know which way is best. Basically, we just want the best bang for our buck. We don't quite understand you package "roam like your home" because it states that your highest charge per month will be $50 for data, texts, etc. but at the same time it states "as long as you don't go over your plan". Then what plan do we get for when we are home?

***Edit Labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Travelling to USA

Hi @Kimepetrie

Welcome to the community. Smiley Happy

Roam Like Home is a great service for customer that travel a fair amount.

Roam Like Home is a travel feature that we offer to our wireless customers on our Share Everything Plan.

This means you can use the data and the unlimited talk and text from your Share Everything Plan  while roaming.

You will only be charged on days when you use your plan, but if you go over your data limit, domestic data overage rates will apply.

In the US, the fee is $5 a day per phone, for a maximum of up to $50 on your monthly bill.

In Europe, the fee is $10 a day per phone, for a maximum of up to $100 on your monthly bill

For more information on “Roam Like Home” click here 

Thanks

RogersAliciaG

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Kimepetrie

The Roam Like Home plan sounds like a decent plan, especially if you only go away for 2-3 days. In this case, the most it would cost you is $10-15. Previously, the only travel plans available from Rogers were travel packs good for a month which was a waste of money if you were only gone for a few days. 

Keep in mind though that the maximum $50 charge is per phone and per billing period. I do notice that Rogers has advertised Roam Like Home as: "Only pay up to a max of 10 days per monthly bill. So, if you're roaming in the U.S. for 17 days, you still only pay for 10 days." The second part of that may or may not be true and in fact is a little misleading. If you are away in the U.S. for 17 days and those 17 days are over two different billing periods you could conceivably have to pay up to $85 per phone if 10 days were in one billing period and 7 days were in a second billing period. 

Another way to look at it is like this. If my billing period starts on the first of the month and I go away to Florida for the month of January, the most I would pay is $50 per phone. However if I adjust my vacation to be from Jan. 15 - Feb 15 I could end up paying $100 per phone. This is because the maximum 10-day charge would apply on the January bill and then again another 10-day charge on the February bill! Roam Like Home could definitely be improved if the 10-day max was appplied to any 30-day period you were out of the country regardless of billing period. 

Highlighted

In response to Johnnyrocket:

The other benefit though is using your plan as if you are home (roam like home) - and if you happen to exceed the usage within your plan then you are charged as if in Canada and NOT roaming... so yes, it may cost more if your trip lands between 2 billing cyc - But the saving alone for exceeding the amount of usage is so much better...

A travel package is only good if you can stay within the limits of it.. once you exceed it your PAY PER USE ROAMING which can be a killer for extra charges...

I know you don't seem to find a benefit to roam like home - however, the stories you hear about the overage charge on roaming with a travel pack... I'd say that in it self is a benefit that can NOT be ignored!  Or worse of forgetting to add the travel pack... ROAM like home is a 1 x activation... and your good to go anytime any were in US or Europe!

Highlighted

I do agree with you that Roam Like Home has its advantages over the traditional 31-day travel packs and you have definitely pointed out some of these. My point however was simply to make the OP aware that the maximum $50 charge was per billing period as opposed to any 30-day period that you are away. When Rogers posts on their Website that "if you're roaming in the U.S. for 17 days, you still only pay for 10 days", that is only true if those 17 days are within the same billing period. I think Rogers needs to make this fact clearer so that customers will not be upset if they end up being billed for more than $50. 

Highlighted

Yes, people do need to be aware that that 10 day period is not over 30days per say but over there 30day billing period... 

definitely knowing that will prevent lots of disputes for Rogers...

Smiley Happy