Traveling to Barbados -charges

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Traveling to Barbados -charges

I might be having some calls coming in at this time and was wondering if one that will be an extra charge on my account having calls come in and two if it would cost anything to check my voicemail or not....

What would the charges be by the way if you know?

Thanks for the help!!

Vgirl

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Traveling to Barbados -charges

Hi @vmcconne , welcome to the community.

Anytime travelling internationally it is always good to review the possible voice, text or data add-ons to protect yourself. In the event that you choose not to, then Pay-Per-Use charges would apply.

First of all, you wanted to know if you would be charged if you received phone calls;

Yes, if you are not physically within your local calling area when you receive a call, charges will apply. The physical location of the person calling you is not important.

For example, if you have a Toronto wireless phone number, and you are physically in Toronto when you receive a call from Vancouver, long distance charges will not apply because you are within your local calling area (Toronto).

You also asked if you would be charged for calling your voicemail;

Yes, it is possible to be charged long distance when accessing your voicemail while travelling with your phone. Generally, if it is long distance to dial your own wireless number from your physical location, then long distance or roaming charges will apply.

Once again keep in mind, if you have an international travel pack this will either cover or reduce these charges.

The Pay-Per-Use Roaming rates in Barbados are $3.00 /minute for incoming and outgoing phone calls, $0.75 /text message sent out –incoming should be covered. In regards to data usage, you will have the ability to turn off Data Roaming in the network settings of your phone or use data from your phone at a rate starting at $9.99 /day for 10 MB.

For more information on roaming rates and travel packs, click here.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Awesome thank you so much for the information! 😄

So does that mean i can leave my phone on to receive calls and it would only be a cost for when i get a call? No charge leaving the phone on with just mobile connection?

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @vmcconne , you are welcome Smiley Happy

Great question!

If you leave your phone on while “Roaming outside the Rogers network” you can pick up roaming charges or as some call it “accidental roaming charges”.

The reason is most phones connect to the Internet without the user even knowing (app updates, running apps in the background etc.).

By this happening you would be billed for Roaming due to these Internet apps. Even if you are on Wi-Fi sometimes there is a slight chance the network can switch from Wi-Fi to that countries ISP (Internet Service Provider).

Another way you can receive “accidental Roaming charges” would be just by simply receiving a text message. You don’t even have to reply, just as long as you have received the message.

Now you can prevent this from happening. You would have to turn off data from your device. Whenever I travel (without a plan) I turn off data and also put my phone on airplane mode (this prevents data, text, calls from being pushed to my phone). Depending on the device you have, you can find these options in the ‘settings” app.

Hope this helps!