Travel issues and Misinformation on Website and from Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Travel issues and Misinformation on Website and from Rogers

My wife travels once or twice a year without me and on several occasions I have given her a phone that Roger's assured me would work in the country she went to. The first one was several years ago - she went to the Domican Republic and it did not work as in spite of assurances from the sales rep at the Roger;s stall in the mall that it was a world phone, it was not

Last year  she went to Costa Rica - I gave her trustee Motorola W370. I phoned Rogers and they assured me the phone would work - I also asked the agent that as this phone was mine - I wanted to put her SIM card - which was pay as you go - you guessed it, it did not work. Thinking that I must be an idiot and don;t understand wirless technology (I work in an IT field) I went to the Rogers store and specifically ask for a world phone I could give her that is easy to use. They sold us the Doro phone which she loves.The salesman also so that it would not be smart for her to use pay as you go anymore as Rogers was changing its plan AND he also said that it why it did NOT work in Costa Rica - so we left the store witha Doro World Phone and a proper plan NOT Pay as you goSmiley Happy  Well she is now in Jamaica and she CAN'T call me - she can text.

I got a very pleasant rep on the phone who told me of course it would not work it is NOT a world phone - when I pointed out that a) it was old as such b) the Roger's website states it is a world phone and c) Roger's website has a section where you can check whether your phone will work - showed me that it most definetly does.

After  a 30 minute wait the rep came back and told me I was right ( I knew I was) but apparently when we swicthed from pay-as-you-go to a regular account there was an International block on her phone number that was not removed.Smiley Mad

She is staying at a Hilton - where she can't use the hotel phone without racking up a huge charge - it just gets worse and worse

In this day of technology it is crazy that travel outside the US and Canada is complicated with respect to cell phones - I am fairly technical - my wife is not and I felt I did my homework before she left - obviously I did not do it properly

******* Edit labels ********

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Travel issues and Misinformation on Website and from Rogers

If your wife is going to Costa Rica and staying at the Hilton I would think making long distance calls using a phone card would not be of a financial burden.  Rogers has many "world phones" if you are willing to spend more than $100 (non-plan price)

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello adarra

Actually calling cards are far better from what i know. Yes they may cost a bit BUT you do not pay for roaming or anything. No need to spend $100 for a " World phone" If you will use it once or twice.

Good advice tho!.
I've Been Here Awhile

I decided that the Rogers service is so poor for traveling and a great rip off that I switched to Roam Mobility for traveling far less expensive and totally reliable
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jbarnett12

Great choice i must say!. I have heard great things about Roam Mobility!. Yea i would not go with Rogers traveling roaming packages or anything near that.