Traffic Shaping of P2P Gaming?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tkavil
I've Been Here Awhile

Traffic Shaping of P2P Gaming?

Almost a year ago, I upgraded from the High-Speed Express service to the High-Speed Extreme since I was in need of an increase in bandwidth and upload speed. Occasionally I like to play on the Xbox 360, in games such as "Call of Duty" or "Gears of War". In these games they do not have servers which the players connect to, instead all the players connect to the player with the best connection in the lobby and the "Host" acts almost as a mini server for the game. Due to my speeds of 10MB/s download and 1MB/s upload the game frequently chooses me as the "host". Anytime I become the "host" I immediately notice an extreme decrease in my internet speeds and the other players start do experience lag and eventually disconnect.

If I understand correctly, one of the advertised features of the High-Speed Extreme is "gaming" and one would think it would be adequate for basic console gaming. I contacted Microsoft regarding the issue and they had told me that the recommended speeds were only 5MB/s DL and 500KB/s UL. I have been relentlessly attempting to find a solution to this misfortune but nothing seems to work.

I had done a bit of research on the internet and had found out that I am not the only one experiencing this problem as almost every forum I have been in many people with Rogers Internet seem to be experiencing the exact same issue.

After a few calls into Rogers Tech Support, I also discovered that the sudden decrease of speeds was due to a practice known as "traffic shaping" which Rogers does indeed enforce over their networks, and it is enforced during peak hours or when excessive amounts of bandwidth is being used. I am not aware of any other internet service provider throttling their paying customers for anything other than Peer-to-peer downloads or file sharing. If Rogers cannot fix this issue, then It would only be fair for them to either decrease the rates or offer a credit. When I signed up "Xbox Live" was a promoted feature which did not have anything to indicate it would only work on games with dedicated servers.

Legally mandated disclosure of traffic management practices specifically states that it only applies to high volume, low time sensitive applications. By Managing and slowing down Xbox Live service and gaming, Isn't Rogers in violation of multiple portions of the CRTC ruling on traffic management due to failure of full disclosure of their policies: www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2009/2009-657.htm (specifically Paragraph 60 under the “Disclosure of technical ITMPs” heading, and paragraph 37 under the “No bright-line rules” heading)? If you refer to Rogers’ Network Management Policies you will see that they do not mention anything about P2P gaming or Xbox Live Services.

Recently I have gotten in contact with a representative from the Office of the President regarding this issue, and she denied that Rogers' traffic shaped and told me that the problem is from my end. I am getting many mixed signals and I just want to know the truth. Will Rogers continue practicing these methods into the future or can I look forward to being able to experience my service the way I originally intended on doing so?

***edited labels***

tandar
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Traffic Shaping of P2P Gaming?

Hello Tkavil,

You can find a link to Roger's traffic shapping policy here.  Basically the only traffic shaping done is on the upload for P2P file sharing programs.  To the best of my knowledge, this does not include xbox live.  One thing to look into if you haven't already, If you have a router connected, have you enabled port forwarding for both xbox live and the specific game you are trying to play online?

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.
RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi tandar,

Also, a copy of our network management policy below provides information on why Rogers manages traffic on its network:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/network_management

Thanks

techyeah
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers should not do that I pay for 10 gig up and 1 gig down. This really gets my goat when we all pay a premium for service and  they (rogers) just throttles it. I have been complaining about slow internet and even my guide for tv is bad. This is wrong that they do that i pay for high speed not high speed when they want to give it me.

jnik
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, 

I have the exact same issue with Call Of Duty and XBOX Live.

As soon as I become host, my internet connection goes to **bleep**.  I have diagnosed this to hell, and am quite confident in saying that it is not an issue within my house.  It is also well documented on the net that this is a Rogers issue.

I have used Rogers for my ISP since they started offering service (a long time now). I have annoyingly tolerated their actions like cutting off access to my own mail server or their censorship of the internet (newsgroups anyone?) but will not be tolerating this much longer. 

It is not convenient for me to switch ISPs at the moment (selling house) but I can tell you that very soon I will be enjoying Expressview and using DSL.  None of my friends that use Bell have these issues with the game.

Peter1992
I Plan to Stick Around

Well when i host games on the ps3 console (same game) nothen happens to my connection. My advice is to reset your entire network, watch what your doing on your computer (s) cuz that can contribute to lag, etc. Upgrade your cables to CAT-6 patch cables.
And if not try calling rogers for shorter coxial cables from your outlet to modem.

how can they cut access to your mail server?

also dsl has flaws too there slow and d/c alot (Like Bell)

~Peter
RogersErin

Thanks Peter1992, good to know you're hosting ps3 console games with a solid connection.

Was this helpful jnik?

jnik
I've Been Here Awhile

They blocked the ports to access outgoing mail servers based on the reasoning it will stop spammers.

I am not sure if the PS3 uses Peer to Peer connections for the game or not. Xbox live is different then the PS3 network. My guess is either you have a slower connection to the net, or have some other influence that is stopping you from becoming host... or are just plain lucky.

I unfortunately have wasted lots of time diagnosing the issue. Currently I just quit and rejoin a new match when the host miagrates. I was tempted to flash my router with DD-Wrt so that I could limit the connection to my xbox so that I didn't become host, but then figured why am I wasting effort to an issue caused by the company I am paying money to. It will be solved soon enough.

Like I said, it is not on my end.  Been there, done that. (unfortunately). I am competent (educated) in the area. More importantly I understand.

Thanks for the input though. I was more voicing that it is a real problem, and its not neccessarily the home users issue. I have read lots of complaints about it out there.

fredjk
I'm Here A Lot

@jnik, Tkavil: I'm in much the same situation as both of you. In particular: I have been a long-time subscriber (some 12-13 years using the Express service till recently) and put up with the inconvenient changes they have made: @home.com -> @rogers.com, SMTP issues shortly after resulting in duplicate delivery or no delivery at all forcing me to switch to a different mail provider, then bit by the smtp blocking/redirection. Then the dns hi-jacking (a questionable item in itself in terms of net neutrality) and now xbox live performance issues with P2P games like Call of Duty: MW2!

Recently, I upgraded from Express to Extreme to see if the increased upload speed would alleviate the "hosting" issues, but to my dismay, this is not the case. All I can conclude is that the problem does not lie inside my network (GB ethernet, internally, < 3 month old router). While I understand the reasons to shape some traffic, I think it's unfair that they do this for P2P gaming (when it's a marketed item on several of their packages).

I've been pressuring rogers for other improvements (better download/upload speed ratios), but they're not listening. Losing enough money from customer attrition is the only way to get them to realize they've got things wrong... And there's something seriously wrong when I can download a high-res photo in 1 second but it takes a minute to upload the same photo to flickr or some other photo sharing site or I can't play THE most popular online game out there without hassles.

For me, this is the last straw. I'm now actively shopping around for providers that offer less restrictive shaping, smaller download/upload speed ratio and more cost effective.

/fjk
fredjk
I'm Here A Lot

I should also point out, time of day seems to not matter: I play late at night (ie. 2, 3 AM) and it still happens.

/fjk