Trade in rental PVR due to problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pqee
I'm Here A Lot

Trade in rental PVR due to problems

I currently rent a PVR (Explorer 8300, non HD version).  Lately I've been having trouble with it freezing, being noisy (sometimes goes away) etc... 

I wondered about trading it in at a Rogers Video Plus store but I've heard conflicting stories about how the 8300SD is no longer available and the newer HD box (unsure of the model #) doesn't do standard definition and costs more.  Is there anyway I can swap mine for another similar box without having to pay more for an upgraded model?  What models out there would I get?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
CaptainCurt
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: Trade in rental PVR due to problems

It does apply to all hd boxes, it wouldn't be worth it if they just showed the HD channels because you would be missing out on so many channels.

Since you don't have an HD box, I can understand your situation, it puts you in a real tough place. Definitely, before you look to get an HDPVR box, try speaking with technical support, maybe its something a technician can fix or something, I'm rooting for that for you, since it would be the easiest option and wouldn't change your bill.

The good news is if you ever want to switch your tv, you know how easy it is to swap to an HD terminal.

View solution in original post

All Replies
CaptainCurt
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

The bad news is that the regular PVR's have been discontinued, so it would be nearly impossible to find a replacement.

That being said, the HDPVR boxes can give you regular definiton channels as well as HD, it's 5 dollars more, so really you're paying 5 for HD channels on top of what you currently have.

Have you spoken to technical support about it though? Hopefully it's not the box and maybe just a connection issue.

pqee
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the quick response. My issue though is I don't have an HD TV so shouldn't be forced to pay extra for something I can't benefit from. 

You mention HD boxes can still give SD channels, but does that apply to all HD boxes? A rogers rep at one of the stores said some of them don't work if you only have SD service. 

CaptainCurt
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

It does apply to all hd boxes, it wouldn't be worth it if they just showed the HD channels because you would be missing out on so many channels.

Since you don't have an HD box, I can understand your situation, it puts you in a real tough place. Definitely, before you look to get an HDPVR box, try speaking with technical support, maybe its something a technician can fix or something, I'm rooting for that for you, since it would be the easiest option and wouldn't change your bill.

The good news is if you ever want to switch your tv, you know how easy it is to swap to an HD terminal.

View solution in original post