Touchwiz constantly crashes on S3 after 4.1 update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Touchwiz constantly crashes on S3 after 4.1 update

Hi,

My Samsumg S3  has become very difficult to use after updating to JellyBean, because TouchWiz is now constantly crashing. First it becomes unresponsive, then a popup message saying "Unfortunately, TouchWiz Home has stopped" and then it restarts.

This happens when trying to switch from an application to the home screen or trying to close an icon folder.

I'm able to change pages and start an application, but returning to home is painful as it crashes and I have to wait for it to restart.

Note, this behavior did not start immediately after updating to JellyBean but about a week later.

Searching google for "touchwiz crash s3" shows this to be a common problem with the S3 after updating. Still, I've been unable to resolve the problem.

****Edited Labels****

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Touchwiz constantly crashes on S3 after 4.1 update

Hello mustan9

The only way that would be fixed is if Samsung sends out another update fixing that issue. Search on Google and on here, there are MORE problems after the 4.1 update. It seems Samsung and Rogers could not actually test it out before releasing it. They had enough time to do that.
I've Been Here Awhile

I wouldn't even call it a Rogers problem or JellyBean problem. Touchwiz is purely Samsung's responsibility. What ever the issue is. They shouldn't just let the app hang. Touchwiz is failing to handle the error gracefully.
I've Been Here Awhile

The problem seems to be getting worse. TouchWiz is now crashing when I receive a text message and start apps like Facebook.

Anyone else having this problem?

I Plan to Stick Around

This is the reason I'd be patient and wait a few weeks before I update.  What's the rush people?  There's always going to be those kids who think they need to update NOW, so, let them be the Guiena Pigs and wait for the dust to settle.  Only then can you really see if you need to update or what the update brings to your life.Smiley Happy

I've Been Here Awhile

I have exactly the same problem, it's really painful, nobody knows how to fix it?

I'm a Senior Contributor

I have no such issues with my gs3, i have other minor bugs with the jelly bean update. Have you tried a factory reset? That has usually resolved my issues after updating my androids.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello AnonumousUser

Factory Reset does not fix all the problems as you claim. I have seen thousands on XDA / Samsung & Facebook having this issue & making comments. I asked a few & they did around 5+ factory resets & nothing helped. This is a issue with Samsung & in a email i got from them, they know the issue & trying to fix it with the next update.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Meowmix for this update, it’s too easy to claim that we just have to process with a factory reset to resolve the problem but, it’s a lot of waste of time to reorganize all your phone after that. Please, if you have other information let us know.

I've Been Around

I'm having the same problem. I made a video to demonstrate the issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMNdPcamTI&feature=youtube_gdata_player