cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much for voice calls

busman64
I've Been Here Awhile

Why is it that Rogers new chatr service offers people who travel to the US a mere 25 cents a minite calling within the US, or back to Canada, and for Rogers wireless customers, it is a punishing 1.65 a minute? True, travel packs can be bought to reduce it, but it is still much more expensive to travel with rogers than chatr. Rogers claims the chatr service is for people who want a cheap, no frills, talk and text only service. Its supposed to be for people who stay in their home zones mostly. Rogers customers are getting ripped off!

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Too much for voice calls

TenOfZero
I Plan to Stick Around

Chatr is a flank brand designed to steal customers from the new entrants, and by not offering Data allowing the rogers Brand to keep the top paying customers on board. You are a prime example of this, you would go to it for the lower rates, but will not because you are still on contract (presumably) and want the other services rogers offers and Chatr doesn’t.

As for the tethering, I agree they should still allow it in Canada, but I’m sure it's part of their contracts with the US carriers and they would not have it any other way.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

UrbanBoy
I'm Here A Lot
+1

Eigtball
I'm Here A Lot

I don't think it's ripping off.  What I can tell is that chatr is a low cost product aimed at the lower end of the market.  The "talk" people not the premium smart phones etc.  The people that buy rogers services are usually better off can can afford the higher rate to get the better phones etc.  Just a theory.

Nerds2You
I Plan to Stick Around
+1

I Plan to Stick Around

Wind does the same thing...has dirt cheap roaming in the USA...seems like it's something that Rogers should really look at. Be a leader at something rather than just taking customers for a ride to see how much they can squeeze from them. They have data roaming in the USA for cheap now so its not so expensive to use your iPhone in the States but you have to sign up for a special package, you can't tether...or you have to go for a ridiculous pre-purchased travel pack.

TenOfZero
I Plan to Stick Around

Chatr is a flank brand designed to steal customers from the new entrants, and by not offering Data allowing the rogers Brand to keep the top paying customers on board. You are a prime example of this, you would go to it for the lower rates, but will not because you are still on contract (presumably) and want the other services rogers offers and Chatr doesn’t.

As for the tethering, I agree they should still allow it in Canada, but I’m sure it's part of their contracts with the US carriers and they would not have it any other way.

ne14t
I Plan to Stick Around

TenOfZero has it right.

If you look at the phones they are not smart phones and they most likely run on EDGE at the most, probably not but you never know.  Its entry level stuff for people who just want to talk and nothing else, I dont know if Chatr is going to be the same as Wind but check out the Coverage.  We just got Wind here in Vancouver this summer and I am not sure if I can get reception in my neighbours yard, I know thats an exaggeration but true in comparison to Rogers coverage.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 in conversation