Thunderbird and "postmaster.yahoo.com"

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IAmGrum
I've Been Here Awhile

Thunderbird and "postmaster.yahoo.com"

Starting yesterday afternoon, any emails I try to send using Thunderbird through Rogers/Yahoo are automatically getting rejected with a message from postmaster.yahoo.com about "abuse".

Image of error message

I saw that this happened a year ago in March, and the fixes were to either use Text Only for message composition, or to swtich the background colour for HTML messages to "FFFFFE" (from "FFFFFF").

I've tried both options and they didn't fix the problem.

Yahoo says "Contact Rogers" and Rogers says "Contact Thunderbird" and nothing I can find can help me.

I'm still able to send emails using Thunderbird through Gmail, and I can still receive emails in my Rogers/Yahoo email box, and I can still use the web interface to send/receive emails in Rogers/Yahoo.

What makes it REALLY frustrating is that everything worked the night before and I could send emails without a problem.

I didn't update Thunderbird over night, but now Rogers/Yahoo is rejecting my emails from Thunderbird.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since Rogers/Yahoo are refusing to acknowledge the issue.

I don't know if this is suddenly going to fix itself (like maybe it did last year), but I really don't want to have convert to new email software.

Thanks.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
IAmGrum
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Thunderbird and "postmaster.yahoo.com"

One thing i did on my phone, was switch to the native yahoo connection through the mail program (just with my rogers account).. which i beleive, used the IMAP connection.

Okay, I went and looked for the IMAP settings for Yahoo! Mail, and created a new Thunderbird mail account using those settings (keeping my old POP Rogers account just in case).

Lo and behold, it worked!

I can send messages again!

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. this is one of the bigest issues with the email servers how they are now. 

Rogers is very limited in what they can do.. basic account control, etc.  Beyond that? Its all yahoo.

But as a rogers customer.. yahoo brushes you off 😞  We get stuck in limbo 😞

Onto the the problem...

While i am leary to say 'its an issue with thunderbird'.. it seems its an issue with thunderbird..
I have seen MANY reports (also from straight yahoo users, nothing to do with rogers), of people who have issues between thunderbird and yahoo servers.
Sometimes a sending issue... sometimes it locking up on even just retreiving.

It seems, like thunderbird.. for some reason.. makes TOO many requests in concession.. and seems to lock up/have issues with the yahoo servers.  Too many retreive requests seems to lock the account that needs to log into webmail to unlock... sending, may give your message.

Again.. i dont want to blame thunderbird.. its just the way it and the servers seem to communicate 😞

Lets take a look at a few things.. what are your sending and receiveing servers set to?

IAmGrum
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your help.

Here are the server settings.

Nothing has changed in the past week, but as Sherlock Holmes has stated:

"...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Those are the right ones.

I had some general issues just getting some rejections a few weeks ago from my iphone, with the same settings.. never and issue before.. and was only on sending.

One thing i did on my phone, was switch to the native yahoo connection through the mail program (just with my rogers account).. which i beleive, used the IMAP connection.

This MAY be worth trying.. imap handles things a little differently as it allows for syncing of stuff between the two, folders etc, if the client supports it

IAmGrum
I've Been Here Awhile

Okay, I went and looked for the IMAP settings for Yahoo! Mail, and created a new Thunderbird mail account using those settings (keeping my old POP Rogers account just in case).

Lo and behold, it worked!

I can send messages again!

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

woohoo!

Im wondering.. if there is an issue with the rogers > Yahoo pop email server forwarding, or just that connection period lately.

Glad the imap worked 🙂

thomasgdean
I've Been Here Awhile

If problem with Yahoo and Thunderbird, you may wish to either:

1.   deleter name on reply to or

2.   retype name in reply to.

It works but I know not why.

Good luck

IAmGrum
I've Been Here Awhile

Of course, I accidentally sent an email using the Rogers POP connection (instead of the IMAP Yahoo one) and it worked fine.

Whatever problem existed, no longer exists.

That said, thanks again for your help.  I'll keep that IMAP Yahoo information handy, and this discussion and resolution will be available to anyone else that has this problem in the future.

In fact, let me salt this discussion with key words to help future searches:

Rogers

Yahoo

postmaster.yahoo.com

abuse

Thunderbird

IMAP

fail to send