Throttling/traffic shaping everything now?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Throttling/traffic shaping everything now?

Interesting.  I just tried your exact example, and I get an average of 250KB per second download (it bounces erratically between 200KB and 300KB per second, though it went as low as 100KB per second).  That works out to about 2Mb/sec.  I'm on EXTREME, and should be getting 15Mb.

I was wondering why pages seemed like they were download as if I was back on dialup.  This is insane.

Rogers is not fulfilling their end of the contract.

Rogers support, how about answering the above?  Why is this happening with download speeds now?  What is the point in having a contract, if you can't fulfill it?  I imagine if I want out, I'm sure they'll make me pay a cancellation fee, even though it is YOU that is breaking the contract, not me.

I Plan to Stick Around

Wow, I just ran speedtest.net, and it showed a whopping 1.89Mb (bit, not byte) download and 0.75Mb upload. This is on Rogers Extreme. I'm calling Rogers right now.....WTF!?
I Plan to Stick Around

i am on ultimate an i call them every day, so today they said it is my modem can't wait to go tomorrow get another one an then come home hook it up an the same thing happens then what tell me to get a new comptuer ??

see this stuff we post notice their are no Rogers Erin or whoever adding comments cause we are right an they don't know what to do... I do, this is actually false advertising, you offer me ultimate at 50/meg down an up to 2/meg up... ok where can i upload at 2 meg when you won't **bleep** well let me....

I think i might just consult a lawyer friend of mine....

EricL

I Plan to Stick Around

I downgraded my account out of Extreme. There was no point in having it, since I can't use it. Rogers doesn't care. Their support is awful. Nothing is going to change. It will take a paradigm shift such as getting alternate ISPs from coast-to-coast and MASSIVE loss of customers to indie ISPs before Rogers will wake up.

I'll be dumping my cable in August, once hidef OTA comes online. The instant an indie ISP opens in my area, I'm dumping Rogers as my ISP, as well.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have to thank Rogers for throttling my entire connection within days of cancelling service with them.

I'm now getting websites timing out despite GREAT tracerts to said sites, along with slow as hell download speeds, where before cancelling they were more than 5x faster.

You've just proved you can't be trusted, and I will be telling everyone I know about your deceptive practices.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The only way change will happen is when they lose customers on a massive scale.  Openmedia.net is taking the CRTC to court over UBB for all of Canada now (not just indie ISPs), so progress may actually happen.  I don't expect change overnight, though....but since I have no other options in my area, I will be patient.

I've Been Here Awhile

Registered just show I could show this lame trace route I just took at 12:50am...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.225.17]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms     2 ms  phub.net.cable.rogers.com [192.168.0.1]
  2   495 ms   417 ms   453 ms  10.37.224.1
  3   358 ms   305 ms   351 ms  69.63.243.245
  4   676 ms   246 ms   126 ms  69.63.249.1
  5   213 ms   234 ms   233 ms  gw01.mtmc.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.81.1
37]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7   841 ms   430 ms   601 ms  216.239.47.114
  8   458 ms   601 ms   603 ms  216.239.46.160
  9   515 ms   668 ms   657 ms  64.233.174.173
 10   798 ms   913 ms   853 ms  74.125.225.17

Trace complete.

This is with Rogers "extreme" internet HA!

I Plan to Stick Around

I suggest to talk to Rogers livechat agents and show them that tracert. There's something definately wrong with your connection, aside from the whole p2p fiasco.

I'm Here A Lot

Yes I do believe they throttle everything, My online gaming is come to the point I can't even play some days and the days I can I have to put up with bad lag most of the time. This al started around sept 2010 for me call and live chat still has not fixed this problem. They know what it is and don't care you must remember we are just maybe 10% to 15% of the user in there internet.

they do not care if they did it would be fixed buy now, may Ted Rogers rest in peace, I feel sorry for his company to the way of the greed over infrastructure. Ted Rogers always kept the infrastructure up to date with the need, now that it is failing they control the data and save money by not buying new equipment for faster infrastructure it is just greedy little pigs.

Retired Moderator RogersAndrew
Retired Moderator

The real-world download/upload speeds are not governed by Rogers but by the source themselves, be it a website or program that you're using, depending on the traffic and bandwidth available to them. The actual throughput you're receiving is correct for your contract type but any actual downloading you do is restricted by the source you're downloading from. This is something that is completely out of our control and Rogers cannot police the entire Internet and force http downloads from servers that do not belong to Rogers to yield maximum results.

It may not be the answer you wanted to hear but that is how all ISPs operate globally. None of them can force server owners to upgrade their bandwidth to allow every single connection to said servers to allow the user's maximum throughput.

Keep in mind that if you're downloading a file from Microsoft for example, you're not the only one doing so.