cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three STBs in home...two not working

janisr
I've Been Here Awhile

I couldn't find this issue on any other thread...please forgive me if it's been posted before.

We have three STBs in our home...one upstairs, two down.

Everything was working fine yesterday...at one point or another all three TVs had been in use.

Today, the two downstairs boxes won't power on.  They are the Motorola ones that don't have an on/off button on them, so the only option is to use the remote.  I tried to turn one of the STBs using the remote, made sure I pressed "CBL" then Power...nothing. The CBL button lights up, but then once I press power, the TV button lights up and the TV turns on.  Both the STB and the TV are plugged into the same outlet, so I know it's not an outlet issue.  Thought it might be a remote issue, so I changed out batteries....no luck.  So I took the remote into the other room to try it on the other STB...lo and behold...same issue.  The box won't turn on at all.  And it's one of those Motorola ones too...(grrr).

Funny thing is that the upstairs works perfectly.

So do I have TWO dead boxes???  I tried contacting Rogers but LOOOOONG wait times so thought I'd try here first.

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Three STBs in home...two not working

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Motorola boxes.. so your outside ontario?
(well.. or the mountian cable area still?)

Generally i think the remotes like the cisco ones, are semi universal.  That same remote from downstairs, if you took upstairs, works?
(confirm that the remote it working)

If maybe the boxes are completely locked up.. may not respond to remote.
Have you rebooted each of them by unpluging?  Often they will partially come back on (some display) when they are rebooting, etc (splash screen, etc)

janisr
I've Been Here Awhile
Hi...thanks for your response.
I'm in New Brunswick.
Yes, the remotes from downstairs (both of them) work fine on my upstairs TV.
Yes, have tried unplugging box, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging back in...nothing on the display at all... 😞
I was going to try resetting via the myRogers site, but it tells me that the "reset my box" option is not available and to call customer service. Right now, customer service is very busy due to an ice storm south of the province. So I waited in the queue for a while, but hung up to get the kiddos dinner. Both phone and chat are long wait times. I'll try again later but thought I'd reach out here to see if anyone has encountered the same problem.

janisr
I've Been Here Awhile
I should also add...due to the ice storm there were a lot of power outages in NB, but we weren't affected. However, early this afternoon our power flickered...just off, and on...not even enough to cause my alarm clock to flash. Neither of the STBs that are affected are plugged into a surge protector; the one that seems fine IS plugged into a surge protector. I'm wondering if the power flicker killed the STBs downstairs. However, we have had power flickers during another storm a month ago and nothing was affected, so I'm just not sure that's the issue.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It is quite possible, that both of them got fried 😞

I would NEVER not run a tv box or modem, etc, without having it through a surge protector.

Heck, even on my main TV, i have it and the cable box plugged into a small UPS

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation