Thinking of getting Rogers Cable TV and internet - Have questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Thinking of getting Rogers Cable TV and internet - Have questions

I am thinking of getting Rogers Cable TV and Internet, here is my question, My cousin has a Nextbox 2.0 and some of his channels on SD are letterbox just a picture in the middle and 2 black bars on the sides, I asked him if it can be stretched and he said no, it can only be zoomed and that makes the whole picture seem bloaty, now my question is this, is it possible to stretch the picture so that is shows on the whole screen without having to zoom? cause i do not like the zoom feature. Please any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

***Edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Thinking of getting Rogers Cable TV and internet - Have questions

As far as I know what you describe is the way it is. I rarely ever watch anything on the SD channels.

An example is Global TV is full screen on channel 3 but on the SD channel 116 the same show is letterbox.
I Plan to Stick Around

yeah thats what I was worried about, I remember when I had rogers years ago with the old 8300 HD those boxes we could easily stretch and it would show full screen, now these new boxes just dont give that option, which is sad, I too watch everything in HD but the ethnic channels are all on SD so that does not work for us... guess we will continue with Bell as they have the stretch  feature.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The 8300 passed the broadcast resolution to the television, which is why SD stretched. The Nextbox software fixes the resolution, so that all programming is upconverted. This allows the guide to be presented in HD at all times.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have Netbox 2 with the old guide and it supports stretching and zooming.

I don't like stretching as is changes the aspect ratio and everyone looks shorter and chubbier.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think that is one reason why they went that way, with the new guide.

On the old guide (on the 8300 and the 8642 old SARA guide), it took the SD feeds (@480i) and would auto stretch them.
While yes, on a wide screen TV made it full screen.. it also as said, made them shorter and chubbier.

With the new guide, it takes those SD feeds and upconverts them all to 1080i (or 720i if set that way) leaving the black bars.
While it doesnt fill the screen.. it at its PROPER aspect ratio for that feed.
I had the new guide on the 8642 on the first day it was available... and there were shows, that i watched then in SD, and was suprised at how different it was.. but more REALISTIC and not squashed.