cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of changing to Rogers internet, is the internet speeds that bad?

Keviin
I've Been Here Awhile

I see a lot of customers complaining about throttling and slow speeds.

So no one has nearly contant speeds (of which they pay for)?

It seems if this was really happening to the whole amount of customers, Rogers would be in or would have been in court by now. For offering certain speeds and not actually giving the speeds they advertise and say you will have if you buy from them.

Note: Bell just got out of court, paying 10 million dollars (maximum amount) for there prices on their website. Any ISP would be going over their company with a fine comb after hearing about this.

It's hard to believe Rogers being this way for everyone.

There are many factors that an internet connection can be slow. Firstly, your cables in house, your computer, configuration, computer speed, modem/router, the server of which you are downloading or surfing web on could be far away (In another country) network congestion, peak hours, telephone line needing adjustments and so forth.

So i ask again, does no one have nearly constant speeds that they pay for?

***edited labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Thinking of changing to Rogers internet, is the internet speeds that bad?

Stajan
I Plan to Stick Around

lately i average 3mb/s   of my 10 (express)      so around 350k/s     24/7 (not just evenings)  feels like its capped at that barrier as its pretty constant.

All my computers are less then a year old and new wiring in March when i moved in  (401/Yonge)  in Toronto

up until 2 months ago i got Blazing fast speeds never under 10mb/s   but usually 15mb/s       (lots of others have speed problems happening around that time)  

One day my Internet dropped,    came back on after 2 minutes i posted about it on facebook and a couple friends commented the same thing happened to them (over an hour away)    at the same time.    but amazingly google didn't work  nor any website except Facebook... 

They are having network issues i just wish they would admit it,  and stop wasting my time with tech support guys and fix the problem.  

Keviin
I've Been Here Awhile

Would you say this could probably be caused by the new "Speed boost" thing Rogers have released recently?

As you mentioned you have Express correct. Express is 12MB, and you say you get 3MB that remains somewhat constant. Have you tried calling or what have you to resolve this?

I do understand it cannot be 100% at limit all the time,but at the huge gap of your service quality, and the amount of people having slow connection speeds. Leads me to really need those peoples opinions about this ISP, that may or may not have good somewhat constant speeds (of which they pay for).

So would anyone (Or you also) recommend Rogers? And how often does your internet go below half the speed you have?

Stajan
I Plan to Stick Around

Up until 2 months ago i always had 100% service.      Speed Boost "Was"   amazing but the company TekSavvy runs on the Rogers Network and its my opinon its caused by rogers "Over-Selling"   on a outdated network.

Tech Support gives you the run-around like seriously all these people have the same issue its hard to think its my end.    they will never admit they have problems as its bad for buisness.

2 months of 3mb/s  average    used to average 13-15mb/s    with the lowest 10mb/s      now its .5 mbs to 3mb/s     wireless or directly connected to the modem makes no difference. 

If rogers fixes the problem,  i would most definately recomend them but as is..  its not "FUN"     not looking for a discount just my speed back. 

MichelR
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I've have no speed or connectivity problem (except for a couple of nights last month), but from what I've read on the DSLReports forums (yeah, there are forums for cable too), it seems to greatly depend on what area you live in.  Some people in the Toronto area (downtown I think, and a couple of other areas) are apparently dealing with some serious congestion and therefore crappy speeds.

Stajan
I Plan to Stick Around

Stajan
I Plan to Stick Around

fastest its been in awhile

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@Keviin:

you state: " Bell just got out of court, paying 10 million dollars (maximum amount) for there prices on their website...".  In that case Bell agreed to that settlement out of court.  In other words, they rolled over and played dead.

Rogers, on the other hand seems to prefer to hang tough when challenged on similar issues.  At least Bell admits to its transgressions!  But BCE, who owns Bell still makes lots of profit:

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/bell-carriers/bce-profits-rise-41/

It seems that the "Big 3" network providers that we Canadians depend on are trying to win our business by outrageous marketing claims and by attempting pre-emptive legal actions against each other as documented here:

http://www.profectio.com/who-is-canadas-fastest-wireless-network-should-canadians-sue-bell-rogers-an...

If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, dazzle them with BS.

So, if you are thinking of changing to Rogers, you are taking your chances.  But you are taking your chances no matter which company you use for your Internet services.  In this Canadian unregulated capitalist paradise, we the consumer are basically at the mercy of the big guys.

Caveat emptor or what!

skinorth

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Depends where you are and when you test.. Right now I'm getting 17Mbps...

lucretrius3
I Plan to Stick Around

Many areas suffer from congestion.  I have not beern able to get much over 3 mbps in the evenings for the last 2 months.  I am in downtown Toronto.  Depending on your location, your experience may vary.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation