The movie thing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

The movie thing

I am on the road a lot and am thinking of using my Rogers Rocket Stick LTE for watching NetFlix movies but do not want a gigantic bill.  Just wondering about costs?

..... thanks

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: The movie thing

And the quality of what you are watching.

Low quality on a mobile device.. might not be TOO bad..

But by the time you start streaming high quality.. you can easily get 1gb usage for 1 hour viewing.. so it will add up QUICKLY.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello bcguy

It all depends on where you are going / roaming charges & what data package you have.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And the quality of what you are watching.

Low quality on a mobile device.. might not be TOO bad..

But by the time you start streaming high quality.. you can easily get 1gb usage for 1 hour viewing.. so it will add up QUICKLY.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

The HUB is a WHOLE lot cheaper (though still fairly expensive) and almost as mobile. Also , most places have access to free WiFi so why not get a USB WiFi (if you don't have built in WiFi) and use their internet?

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@bcguy:

the suggestion made by BeerHunter125, to use a free WiFi connection where ever you are staying seems like the best approach to me.  I have used a RocketHub for years now, and know from experience that the data volume charges will be high if you watch video/movies in any way.

Additionally, I have found from using my RocketHub in a number of different locations, that you cannot count on getting a good Internet connection, i.e., one that would support the continuous data volume required for watching Netflix movies.  The Rogers cell network simply will not reliably support that kind of an Internet connection.  Not only have I experienced frequent outright disconnects, but I also find that the average ongoing connection speed is of variable quality, even when I have good cell network signal strength at my 'Hub.

The 'Hub is usually adequate for utility Internet use such as email and general browsing, but I certainly would not recommend such an Internet connection for movie viewing use.  The quality of the experience would be annoying if not actually unacceptable, while the data volume charges are outrageous, in my opinion.

skinorth